FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France Frequence Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus-376/)
-   -   Compensations for Cancellations/Delays/Changes - EC 261/2004 MASTER THREAD for AF (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus/1709354-compensations-cancellations-delays-changes-ec-261-2004-master-thread-af.html)

jorun Feb 26, 2023 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by atflyer (Post 35043231)
jorun I am not going to repeat your extensive post, but you essentially say that given C‑367/20 I do have a case to claim compensation under EU261 for a missed connection JFK-LHR (on Delta) - AMS (on KLM) at LHR due to late arrival of Delta? One ticket, Outside EU to an EU country, community carrier did part of the journey, so condition in 3 (1) fulfilled. Interesting and thanks for the extensive analysis.

I'm not saying anything. According to the EU court rules, your flight is JFK-AMS and a community carrier performs one of the connecting flights, therefore the flight JFK-AMS falls within the scope of the application of Regulation (EC) 261/2004.

eugeniod1995 Feb 27, 2023 3:24 am

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 35043012)
Follow NickB expert advice.
Unfortunately long emails are counterproductive and focusing on the voucher is not helpful.
EC/UK261 never talks about fare difference, only of the price of the ticket.
AF is usually good in compensating on a straightforward case like yours.
Maybe make a last try with AF. My suggestion is to keep it to a straight minimum: You were downgraded from PE to Y on your trip from DXB to LHR.. You are owed 75% of the price of the ticket according to UK261.
Let AF determine the exact compensation they propose. They might take the voucher into account or simply cancel it.

Thanks, would you have another email address for customer service? I’ve been emailing [email protected] but no reply since 04/02, as well as adding comments to the claim on the website (which is marked as “closed”). The system wouldn’t let me submit another claim which makes me think anything I send would go into junk.
shall I send another email without citing in the subject their case reference number?

The doomed Feb 28, 2023 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by The doomed (Post 35026590)
Thanks all. An update.

AF have agreed compensation is due, €600, due to denied boarding. They are also covering the hotel, meal and airport taxi costs I submitted.

​​​​​​I posted originally after they had responded to the claim rejecting it, because with the original flight out, although disrupted, my arrival was not delayed. But that wasn't the reason for the claim, and after I asked them to look at it again, and posted here, they promptly replied this morning and have agreed to pay.

Good outcome. Just need the funds to arrive now. Thanks all!

Update, funds paid into my bank a short while ago. Very impressive resolution / service in the end. Kudos to both Air France, and some sensible EU regulations.

eugeniod1995 Mar 1, 2023 12:01 am

Originally Posted by The doomed (Post 35050401)
Update, funds paid into my bank a short while ago. Very impressive resolution / service in the end. Kudos to both Air France, and some sensible EU regulations.

well done! Did it only take you one week for the claim? Which email address did you use?

The doomed Mar 1, 2023 1:00 pm

I used a form on the AF website. Submitted as I was connecting in CDG, responded to 2-3 weeks later, paid out very promptly once agreed.

LearningToFly Mar 25, 2023 7:43 am

Is there a way to claim EU261 compensation without using the AF website? Once filled, the form cannot be sent: I get an error message each time.
Also the form requires a 4 digit institution number but in Canada many institutions only have a 3 digit number. I tried putting one more zero, even then the form could not be sent. Thanks.

frec63_ft Apr 5, 2023 1:45 pm

Submitted an EC261 request for my GVA-CDG flight which has been delayed for more than 3 hours hence I missed my connecting flight CDG-BOM.
4 days after I got a call from AF: they apologised for the inconvenience caused and confirmed that I was eligible for 600 EUR cash / 800 EUR voucher compensation.
I took the cash refund option, got a confirmation email the same day and received the money on my account few days later. :tu:

Indeed no comparison with TAP as I read above in this post ! :D

Xandrios Apr 7, 2023 3:33 pm

I was delayed on a long (ish) flight out of CDG recently. Delay was right around 4hr - touchdown a little before the 4hr mark, doors opening a few minutes after the 4hr mark. The flight status on the AF website incorrectly shows 3:57 delay.

Filed a claim mentioning the delay over 4 hrs and they offered a 500 euro voucher, as according to them the delay was less than 4hrs. Apparently their internal systems have recorded the flight having less than 4hrs delay, while I know that in reality it was just over. Even got a picture of the closed door timestamped at exactly the 4hr mark. The FA at the door was frantically looking at her watch and awaiting the finger to be connected - she clearly was aware of the 4hr mark. I'm somewhat expecting that the discrepancy may not even be in error but rather purposefully in order to having to skip having to pay out the max amount. Normally I'd be fine with a 500 euro voucher, but I feel that they are trying to cheat pax here - which isn't great when on a 3500 Euro C class ticket.

Any chance to get this sorted and still convince them of the 4+ hrs? It took them 2 weeks to reply by email, does the PSL handle these cases too? Whats the best way to appeal?

canadavid May 9, 2023 12:28 pm

Quick question regarding compensation.
I missed a connection yesterday (short - had only 40mn) and our first flight had 20mn delay which we have been informed a few hours before the flight (however 20mn is nothing).
I have received an email yesterday explaining « perturbations des operations de vols » as a reason for the rebooking.
KLM is claiming traffic control which does not seem right (according to the email received) and should be considered as operational reasons ? Is the phrasing different in your experience ?

lcheval May 12, 2023 1:47 am

Hi,
Question about AF10 CDG/JFK on May 1st.
Flight schedule : CDG 16:30-JFK 18:40
Flights departed almost on time but went tech once airborne. Circled to burn dome fuel to return to CDG. Repairs were done while on plane, we finally arrived in JFK at 22:10. Total delay : 3h30

I thought we were entitled to EU 261 but the situation is :
- that on AF site when I wanted to complete the form, the indicated schedule for our flight changed for a departure at 18:30 that is not true (we firstly departed before that, on the initial shedule). 18h30 is neither relevant on our second departure.
- on website like airhelp, the claims are not accepetd, either because they consider this wrong announced schedule, or because they consider a delay caused by the strikes that is also not true.

What do you think about this? Has AF changed their timing or recorded wrong reason for our delay to avoid EU261 compensations?

Xandrios May 12, 2023 2:07 am

Its irrelevant what which departure time AF considers to be the one to use. The arrival time is what matters. If their form doesn't accept the input, I would suggest writing a regular email/complaint requesting compensation, or, give them a call.

lcheval May 15, 2023 8:10 am

Originally Posted by lcheval (Post 35243831)
Hi,
Question about AF10 CDG/JFK on May 1st.
Flight schedule : CDG 16:30-JFK 18:40
Flights departed almost on time but went tech once airborne. Circled to burn dome fuel to return to CDG. Repairs were done while on plane, we finally arrived in JFK at 22:10. Total delay : 3h30

I thought we were entitled to EU 261 but the situation is :
- that on AF site when I wanted to complete the form, the indicated schedule for our flight changed for a departure at 18:30 that is not true (we firstly departed before that, on the initial shedule). 18h30 is neither relevant on our second departure.
- on website like airhelp, the claims are not accepetd, either because they consider this wrong announced schedule, or because they consider a delay caused by the strikes that is also not true.

What do you think about this? Has AF changed their timing or recorded wrong reason for our delay to avoid EU261 compensations?

To follow up : the claim has been submitted on AF website last week.
It has been accepted today! There was indeed well a glitch in the indicated schedule for this flight on AF website when submitting the claim, and glitches in the records of airhelp (etc...) regarding the cause of the delay.

AF did well this time! thanks!

michaeldovecharlie Jun 11, 2023 6:47 am

I have a question. I was scheduled on a flight CDG-AMS-SEA-YYC. DL ticket.

CDG-AMS delayed controllable reason. AF rebooks me on CDG-SEA-YYC. The AMS-SEA flight was on time. The CDG-SEA flight was delayed around 2 hours and I missed my connection in SEA. I stayed the night in SEA, and took an Air Canada flight the next day to YYC. Total delay 9+ hours.

Who is on the hook for compensation? It was Delta's delay that made me miss my connection in SEA, but I wouldn't have been on said delayed Delta flight had Air France not had a delay in CDG.

I filled claims for both citing Canada's compensation law (Around 700 euros for delay), but I am just curious had I claimed under EC261 what airline would have to pay out?

atflyer Jun 12, 2023 3:57 pm

Interesting. I think you should best claim under EU261 since you started in an EU country and reaching your destination late. AF rebooked you on CDG-SEA-YYC and if that would have worked this would not given a delay I suppose. But now CDG-SEA got delayed, leading to the trouble. According to EU261 if I am right, the operating carriers of CDG-SEA is the one to go for (seems in your case Delta)

michaeldovecharlie Jun 12, 2023 4:17 pm

Canada's APPR applies to all carriers flying to, from or within Canada. The compensation amounts are not based on distance but on delay itself (in my opinion, this is more logical than the EU's distance based compensation). For a 9+ hour delay, it is 1000 CAD which is around 700 euros.

Applied for both AF and DL compensation. The other benefit of the APPR is that airlines are required to respond within 30 days with compensation, so at the latest I would get a response by the beginning of July. Will report back.