FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Using Expertflyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/998852-using-expertflyer.html)

sram Sep 25, 2009 2:51 pm

Using Expertflyer

I joined expertflyer for a 5 day trial to see what its all about. I was looking for a Aeroplan reward from from MIA to YVR. I noticed that it only searches on a very limited number of airlines. Am i missing something here? Can you not search UA, US or CO availability?

Silvercity Sep 25, 2009 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by sram (Post 12438473)
I joined expertflyer for a 5 day trial to see what its all about. I was looking for a Aeroplan reward from from MIA to YVR. I noticed that it only searches on a very limited number of airlines. Am i missing something here? Can you not search UA, US or CO availability?

I use it everyweek. You can search almost any airline around the world. Including the ones you mention here.

sram Sep 25, 2009 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Silvercity (Post 12438512)
I use it everyweek. You can search almost any airline around the world. Including the ones you mention here.

I saw those airlines for regular seat availability, but not for reward availability. perhaps its a limitation of my trial membership?

LGAflyer Sep 25, 2009 3:38 pm

EF only shows award availability for select airlines of which US, UA and CO are not included. Full list is here http://www.expertflyer.com/airline-upgrades-awards

US, UA and CO availability for awards can be found at their websites (CO - no login / onepass acct required; US and UA you'll need to first get a dividend miles or mileageplus acct setup first).

Alternatively, both US and UA availability should be uploaded into the Aeroplan website. Sometimes the aeroplan website doesn't show all available options on *A partners (especially for flights with connections), so a quick call to them can give you the clearest idea.

BlondeBomber Sep 25, 2009 4:09 pm

Not even Aeroplan always knows so it is best to do as much homework yourself before calling them.

For example, I couldn't book Calgary-Denver-Lincoln, Nebraska on Aeroplan.com even though Calgary-Denver showed no problem and Denver-Lincoln showed no problem as two separate trips on same dates on Aeroplan.com.

Initially Aeroplan didn't see it either but once we got started and I explained things, the agent was able to get my flights on one round trip reward ticket.

Others have noted issues with LX rewards (I had similar issues).

I don't know why there are so many IT problems with ac and Aeroplan but it is getting better. Let's hope it will be purr-fect one day:cool:

tomh009 Sep 25, 2009 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by LGAflyer (Post 12438651)
EF only shows award availability for select airlines of which US, UA and CO are not included. Full list is here http://www.expertflyer.com/airline-upgrades-awards

The other alternative -- KVS Availability Tool -- does provide award availability for US, UA and CO (by using the ANA award travel engine).

Whether KVS or ExpertFlyer is the right tool of the OP is something that I can't answer, though.

KVS Sep 25, 2009 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by sram

Originally Posted by tomh009 (Post 12438926)
The other alternative -- KVS Availability Tool -- does provide award availability for US, UA and CO (by using the ANA award travel engine).

Whether KVS or ExpertFlyer is the right tool of the OP is something that I can't answer, though.

That is correct -- award availability for virtually all *A members (LH/UA/US/OS/SK/TP/LO/JK/TK/SQ/NH/OZ/TG/SA/MS/JP/OU/KF & CO) is available exclusively via KVS Tool. This is in addition to awards for AC/BD/NZ/CA/FM (which are also supported).

Pls see http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Classes for details.

jarusoba Sep 25, 2009 6:34 pm

That's why I have both:)

thomjeff Sep 26, 2009 2:47 pm

I would vote for KVS...hands-down. Great tool - simple and I have been using for 2+ years.

PointWeasel Sep 26, 2009 5:05 pm

Experflyer.com ^ ^
ANA Tool ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

As a couple mentioned above, I also use both. I am always fully prepared when I call the Aeroplan Centre because it makes the call go very smoothly usually. There are some agents that get suspicious when all of the requested segments are available... ;)

Clipper801 Sep 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Many cities are not listed at the Aeroplan site forcing you to call so that they could charge you a booking fee. For example, Bergen (BGO).

lopinc1 Sep 26, 2009 9:09 pm

If the info in KVS is just from the public ANA website which anyone can see, maybe use the ANA website directly and then subscribe to EF if you feel their features fit your needs.

jarusoba Sep 26, 2009 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by lopinc1 (Post 12443570)
If the info in KVS is just from the public ANA website which anyone can see, maybe use the ANA website directly and then subscribe to EF if you feel their features fit your needs.

Yes, you can do so. But I wouldn't. KVS makes accessing the ANA tool so much easier. Time is money. So I would gladly pay KVS a few bucks to save me a few hours.:D

PreferBulkhead Sep 27, 2009 8:28 am

Exactly why I use ExpertFlyer ... it saves me alot of time ... for instance by emailing me when a class becomes available so I do not have to keep checking ...

PointWeasel Sep 27, 2009 10:45 am

Originally Posted by PreferBulkhead (Post 12444897)
Exactly why I use ExpertFlyer ... it saves me alot of time ... for instance by emailing me when a class becomes available so I do not have to keep checking ...

Shhh...next thing you know AC/AP will ask to be removed from Expertflyer, just like UA did last year. :x