Search

Dinged on a change fee

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2009, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aeroplan
Dinged on a change fee

THIS IS A WHINE

So when AC released these 250,000 new seats to Aeroplan in the last few days, I decided to see if there was now space available in Executive first from Economy on my previously booked (and paid for with 120,000 FIRST CLASS points) on my last leg from LHR to YVR. No, no space on the flight I had booked in Economy, but yes now space available SAME DAY in Executive on a different flight, same route, same day. BUT I would have to pay the change fee!!!

I think this is a rip. $180 (for 2 tickets) for a change on the same day. Is this fair?
Old Nov 11, 2009, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by exbrit
THIS IS A WHINE

So when AC released these 250,000 new seats to Aeroplan in the last few days, I decided to see if there was now space available in Executive first from Economy on my previously booked (and paid for with 120,000 FIRST CLASS points) on my last leg from LHR to YVR. No, no space on the flight I had booked in Economy, but yes now space available SAME DAY in Executive on a different flight, same route, same day. BUT I would have to pay the change fee!!!

I think this is a rip. $180 (for 2 tickets) for a change on the same day. Is this fair?

No seats when booked usually slim to none to gain two more biz seats. Though with the promo you have the BEST oportunity. LHR/YVR for $90 peanuts. I don't know why you paid 120k though to fly only biz.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 7:53 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
No, not fair. Having said that, I'd pony up that $180 immediately before it's gone.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Getaround,

I paid 120,000 points because some legs are First Class, partic. arriving and departing BKK.( the experience not to be missed when traveling on Thai in FC)

I am really miffed that today, space opened up on the first leg of our flight from Victoria (YYJ) to Vancouver. Presently Mrs. Exbrit and I are booked on separate flights 1 hour apart on this leg, and 4 hours prior to our departure from YVR. Now there is space for both of us much closer to the departure time of our flight out of YVR, but of course it is going to cost me another $180 to change!!!

With the fuel surcharges, taxes and changes, and call centre fees, I figure I have now spent about $1400 on these 2 "free" tickets!
Old Nov 12, 2009, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Why even fly AC at all, except from/to YYJ? Why not use LH ex-FRA in F? Flying AC on a premium award is the very last thing one would do if there were any alternatives.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Shareholder, this is complicated, but will try to explain:

Many moons ago when I first booked to go to BKK from YYJ, there was no option to return over the Atlantic, so I simply booked Business Class for the round trip to BKK, with the routing YYJ-YVR-HKG-BKK-ICN.

Then Aeroplan changed its rules, which gave me the option of returning from BKK via MAN to see my folks. Traveling that far, I decided to up it to FC where possible. I then got to BKK with upgrade to FC from HKG to BKK, then returned from BKK to FRA (FC)-MAN-LHR-YVR-YYJ.

I am now struggling to find FC options returning from Europe. Am watching FRA-SEA, and FRA-SFO (LH). Anybody got other suggestions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.