Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

aircanada.com/aeroplan.com - Experiences/Complaints/Issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

aircanada.com/aeroplan.com - Experiences/Complaints/Issues

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by 24left
@secretalcoholic
Let us know if you get the back massage courtesy of SSSS
no cavity search! Last time I got SSSS was in 2012 so I was hoping I didn’t jinx myself :P

Looks like was an AC system error.
24left likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Anyone having problems signing into Altitude? Have had no success now for 2 days. Site does not load at all.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mapleg
Anyone having problems signing into Altitude? Have had no success now for 2 days. Site does not load at all.
No problem. I logged in a couple of times today. Also to my wife' account. Always working.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Stranger
No problem. I logged in a couple of times today. Also to my wife' account. Always working.
Hmm. thanks..just tried on IPAD..can sign in. From windows PC I cannot...I just get "The connection has timed out"
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mapleg
Hmm. thanks..just tried on IPAD..can sign in. From windows PC I cannot...I just get "The connection has timed out"
I don't use Windows either.... Real men run Linux.
Cozmo456, smallmj and RangerNS like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Apparently, bookings made through the mobile apps (still?) are "not made on AC.com" and therefore cannot be cancelled on AC.com.

Oh well, I guess I just contributed to the long hold times because of yet another thing one cannot do online.

And then people wonder why my first instinct is to call for everything
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:42 pm

Oh here's another.

You can only request standby in OLCI for the NEXT two flights to your destination. If they're hourly from 6am to 10pm, and you're booked on the 5pm, you can't request the 4pm until after 2pm.

In my case, I want the third flight of the day, and I'm on the fourth of the day, which means I can't request it until after 7am (when the first departs).

So I've emailed the concierge instead, wasting their time on something that could be fixed to allow self-service by removing "LIMIT 2" from their query.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Apparently, bookings made through the mobile apps (still?) are "not made on AC.com" and therefore cannot be cancelled on AC.com.

Oh well, I guess I just contributed to the long hold times because of yet another thing one cannot do online.

And then people wonder why my first instinct is to call for everything
Why hasn't AC hired you yet? Oh wait, they can only afford mediocrity, which is what they get...
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by YYT82

Why hasn't AC hired you yet? Oh wait, they can only afford mediocrity, which is what they get...
That's a bit off topic, but having actually discussed numbers with them, they could afford me. Or at least two-years-ago me.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:38 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Is there any way to avoid calling in to select seats if even the services.aircanada.com site doesn't show seat selection? I have a few Lifemiles J bookings that I'd like to change seats on, and I dread the prospect of calling into AC. I don't understand why this is still so much of a problem for AC. The site can pull up my PNR and can pull up my current seat. All it needs to do is change one field in a database record.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by YYT82
There are a number of IT types, cow and myself included, who jest at trivial one line fixes. And sometimes that is all that it is.

The fear is that removing that LIMIT clause would overload the VAX in the corner which has been doing its thing perfectly well, thank you, for 40 years. Without replacing the VAX, or simulating it with jmock, you are blocked. Implementing a 1 line fix requires 50 people to agree and testing it on a $5mil lab which doesn't exist.
canadiancow, DNAwizard and jc94 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by RangerNS
There are a number of IT types, cow and myself included, who jest at trivial one line fixes. And sometimes that is all that it is.

The fear is that removing that LIMIT clause would overload the VAX in the corner which has been doing its thing perfectly well, thank you, for 40 years. Without replacing the VAX, or simulating it with jmock, you are blocked. Implementing a 1 line fix requires 50 people to agree and testing it on a $5mil lab which doesn't exist.
Alternatively, allow specifying some type of WHERE clause. Either let me input the flight number I want, or let me specify a time, so I get the next two flights after 10am, rather than just the next two flights.

I appreciate the complexity of some of these systems, but at the same time, it's quite obnoxious when I'm SO CLOSE to being able to do something online, but still have to call in. And that only works because I'm SE.
YYT82, jasdou and RangerNS like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)

I fear that AC systems are so poor that even a one line fix can be problematic. I once approved a PR that looked valid for reasons I won’t go into. It took an dev environment out because the code was setup to only work when no error was thrown or something (can’t recall full details but it only failed in some environments and was due to what was technically a small code improvement.

I suspect AC systems are setup in a similar fashion where even logical changes can had a bad reaction with the rest of their system.

The key is having a development area setup in the same way as Live with a fairly complete database. And decent tests (unit/automated runs) and testers, the latter given time to do their job. I have my doubts AC has all or maybe any of these. But that’s a guess.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
"everyone has a test environment. Some places are lucky enough to have an isolated production environment"
canadiancow and smallmj like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM
"everyone has a test environment. Some places are lucky enough to have an isolated production environment"
AC's test environment is called production.
secretalcoholic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.