Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Lounge for US-bound flights from YOW?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge for US-bound flights from YOW?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2013, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
We likely have larger aircraft to some degree as I don't think YOW has any transborder mainline flights and YEG does with UA, US and Westjet using full size planes and others using larger size regional jets.
But they can't even justify a YYT-sized lounge?
Old Oct 15, 2013, 8:40 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, AC*MM, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by OrangeTiger1998
I have a First Class ticket from YMM-YVR-YOW-IAD-FAY with a two hour layover in YOW. It's hard to believe there are no options for relaxation.
After you arrive at YOW from YVR, you can use the MLL before leaving the airside zone, since you are connecting onwards to a Star Alliance flight on UA. Just leave yourself enough time to leave the airside area and head over through US customs.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by sweden05
After you arrive at YOW from YVR, you can use the MLL before leaving the airside zone, since you are connecting onwards to a Star Alliance flight on UA. Just leave yourself enough time to leave the airside area and head over through US customs.
I completely missed that his connection was from a domestic flight. Good point!
Old Oct 16, 2013, 5:27 am

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by sweden05
Thanks for the tip! I think we will have enough time.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:11 am
CT1

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Plat, Aeroplan dDiamond
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
1. More often than not, my transborder flights are late, by a relatively large time frame.

For example, our AC flight to LGA, scheduled to depart last Fri at 5:45 PM (we arrived in the gate waiting area about 4:30 PM) - it was 2.5 hours late. So, a lounge would have been nice.

2. It is mentioned that a transborder lounge at YOW does not make financial sense. So, how can YEG AMEX Plaza Premium make financial sense - do we have that much less (transborder) traffic than YEG, which is not a hub airport anymore than YOW? I do not think that YEG has that many more daily transborder flights than YOW, but I stand to be corrected on that issue.
For 2011, YOW transborder passenger numbers were around 750k vs. nearly 1.1m for YEG. So there's a difference. Of course I'm assuming that the stats are directly comparable, YOW discloses includes enplaned+deplaned, YEG does not say how their stats are made up.

Source is from each airport's website. Also used 2011 as it was most recent year direct comparison is available.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I was surprised to see ppl connecting through YOW (as opposed to YUL or YYZ) to go to the US.

For those of us just flying out of YOW to the US, I don't see a lounge being required since YOW is so efficient and small that I rarely show up to the airport early to sit around (even domestic flight)
Old Oct 16, 2013, 2:34 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by YOWzer
I was surprised to see ppl connecting through YOW (as opposed to YUL or YYZ) to go to the US.

For those of us just flying out of YOW to the US, I don't see a lounge being required since YOW is so efficient and small that I rarely show up to the airport early to sit around (even domestic flight)
I have noticed in the past few months that for *A awards, Air Canada is often an option, even with only domestic US travel. It's a little strange, but on a recent trip to LAX from Charlotte, NC, I was offered an AC flight through YYZ for the same "price" as flying United. Perhaps an effort to begin the divorce with US Airways?
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by OrangeTiger1998
I have noticed in the past few months that for *A awards, Air Canada is often an option, even with only domestic US travel. It's a little strange, but on a recent trip to LAX from Charlotte, NC, I was offered an AC flight through YYZ for the same "price" as flying United. Perhaps an effort to begin the divorce with US Airways?
LAX-YYZ-CLT is not a legal route. Where was this offered?
Old Oct 17, 2013, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
LAX-YYZ-CLT is not a legal route. Where was this offered?
AC can't sell this route, for sure. But a US-based carrier like UA shouldn't have a problem doing so, since cabotage deals with a foreign carrier selling between domestic cities, and UA (for example) would be a US-based carrier selling a route between domestic US cities. Its more of a pain for the customer, of course, then a regular domestic connection in say, ORD, since they would need to carry a passport, do customs enroute, etc.

Also, the poster referred to an award, and I think there are different rules for a revenue ticket vs. an award ticket. I've done SEA(-ORD)-BOS/IAD(-ORD)-SEA, i.e. all domestic US, on UA before, using Aeroplan miles.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:53 am

Will be flying out of YOW at 6:00 on Wednesday for EWR. Noticed the MLL says the lounge is accessible to US pax but need to clear domestic security first.

Once I clear domestic security can I just walk over to the USA side and pre clear or do I need to go thru security again? I'm a Nexus member.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:02 am

Programs: Yes, I belong.
I transited via YOW, en route to BOS, on a Thursday afternoon in March.

I used the lounge on arrival. I asked the lounge agent how long it would take to get to US DHS, etc. I can’t recall how long she said. However, she was kind and announced the flight delay over the PA (I followed up with her after and she said it was for me )

Now, I’m not sure if this is usual or because everyone arrived for the original flight time and cleared DHS already, but there was no one in line — and there were other aircraft departing for EWR, etc. It took me 13 minutes to walk from the lounge, exit security, walk to the other end of the airport, re-clear securtiy, use the NEXUS lane, and clear DHS (cleared at 16:42). The flight was delayed even further so I could have stayed at the lounge at another 30 minutes and still have time to get bored.

FYI: It’s not possible to stay “airside” at YOW to get to preclearance (I don’t think it’s possible at any airport with preclearance)
Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: Yes, I belong.
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Will be flying out of YOW at 6:00 on Wednesday for EWR. Noticed the MLL says the lounge is accessible to US pax but need to clear domestic security first.

Once I clear domestic security can I just walk over to the USA side and pre clear or do I need to go thru security again? I'm a Nexus member.

Safe Travels,

James
However, for your specific situation, you would need to clear security for domestic departures to use the lounge. I would assume the domestic departures security staff would question your entry into that area using a transborder boarding pass. You would then need to re-clear security when going to preclearance. Everyone has their own travel preferences, but that sounds like you would need to arrive at the airport very early for your flight, just to use the lounge.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YEGcg
FYI: I don’t think it’s possible at any airport with preclearance)
Correct; you always get poured into landside and you have to clear U.S.-standard security before seeing DHS.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: AC*SE100K, AC*MM, Marriott Platinum Elite
For a 6am flight it doesn't sound worth it... Note that US security & pre-clearance can be very busy in the early morning, so especially without Nexus / Global Entry it's best to be in line by 5am anyway.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
I find this one of the downsides of entering the US from YOW (I'm based in YOW). That area is so tiny though I don't think they could ever fit a lounge there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.