FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   The Air Canada Early Status Recognition Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/565938-air-canada-early-status-recognition-thread.html)

passenger66 Dec 1, 2008 11:58 am

Early 2009 question followup

In the "Early Status Recognition with Air Canada" thread header, zorn says "If you are not currently AC Elite and reach 35000 status miles (or 50 status segments) in a calendar year before the October 15, you will get AC Elite status good until the end of February two calender years after."
But if:
1. I do not earn miles in 2008 to qualify for AC*E in 2009 and 2. my AC*E card is good to 2009Feb28 and 3. I earn 35k miles (or whatever the qualifying limit for 2009 AC*E is) before the end Feb (before my card expires)
was I currently AC*E when I reached the status miles? Would this affect whether I am considered to be qualifying early for 2010-11 or just qualifying for 2009-10?
In other words, should it say "If you are not currently AC Elite and reach 35000 status miles ..." or should it say "If it is currently calendar year x and you have not qualified for AC Elite for year x and reach 35000 status miles in year x ..."?

zorn Dec 1, 2008 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by passenger66 (Post 10838067)
zorn

Good lookin' guy. ^

should it say "If you are not currently AC Elite and reach 35000 status miles ..." or should it say "If it is currently calendar year x and you have not qualified for AC Elite for year x and reach 35000 status miles in year x ..."?
Your latter sentence is more accurate, but also more cumbersome, so I'll keep it as is.

passenger66 Dec 2, 2008 10:37 am

Early 2009 question answered

I think my question has been well answered, thanks to the good lookin' guy.

Stussi613 Dec 2, 2008 10:51 am

I'm new to this site, but I just wanted to say that the information here is top notch and really helpful in trying to figure out which miles count, and how to hit the thresholds to move up the ladder on AE. My new job will see me travelling more, so maybe I'll be able to move up in the coming year.

One question though, does anyone know how to check to see how many segment miles you have attained in a single year, or do you just have to look at all points for the year and grab out the ones that have a "yes" next to them?

Cruiser2006 Dec 2, 2008 11:12 am

Stussi216, take a look under 'All Transactions' and it lists it there...for both 2008 and 2007.

lcohen999 Dec 7, 2008 9:47 am

So I just logged into my Aeroplan and my status has changed from Elite to Super Elite.

Was there an extra sweap before years end?

If I go to Top Tier Benefits everything is Blue, asking me to select my 2008 privilages, but I cannot choose anything...

bbc z Dec 7, 2008 10:21 am

I had the same thing happen to me, only that now the website lists me as Prestige with the choices pre-selected. I thought there was no early recognition for Prestige?

ALW Dec 7, 2008 12:16 pm

"Early recognition" generally means getting the package, which stopped at the end of October. Having the status updated in the system is a bonus. Bestof2K9 said it would happen early December (earliest I've experienced it is January but not sure I qualified this early back in the old days).

Mine's updated now. Point balance is the same as yesterday but the gold has changed to black. :)

Nothing asking me to select a 2009 package that I can see (which makes sense since they're not announced) and of course nothing to select 2008 since I didn't qualify by Oct 31. I qualified in early November.

57K status miles and 103 segments. And to reinforce my attitude described in the sidebar at left, I might just be able to squeak in another 3K SM on USAir before Dec 31 but I'm flying CO instead for convenience and qualify. At this point my loyalty is to AC, its quality, and its schedule (and its Passes) and not to Star Alliance or SWUs I'll probably never use. :) I might have made an effort to fly UA over CO though, so maybe I have some loyalty. :)

=aw

[added: I see the "choose your 2008 benefits now". I guess that comes up for anyone who's flagged with status that hasn't been chosen.]

LTH Dec 7, 2008 5:31 pm

I didn't qualify for early recognition, but I see the status update in my account too. I have a flight coming up this month. Does this mean my boarding pass will show my new status, and I will be granted the privileges (eg. extra baggage allowance, check-in and baggage priority, etc) with this system update, even though I haven't received the card yet?

The Lev Dec 7, 2008 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by LTH (Post 10871695)
I didn't qualify for early recognition, but I see the status update in my account too. I have a flight coming up this month. Does this mean my boarding pass will show my new status, and I will be granted the privileges (eg. extra baggage allowance, check-in and baggage priority, etc) with this system update, even though I haven't received the card yet?

To get your boarding pass to show your newfound status, call AC, have them delete your Aeroplan number then put it back in and presto your new status gets put in for the flight.

AskTravis Dec 7, 2008 9:03 pm

Hi all -

After 6 years of Elite, I've finally made the jump to SE for 2009.

As I missed the cut-off for early recognition I have a question re: benefits of SE:

I would like to use IKK for a trip in March... will I need to wait until March to use this privilege, or should it be okay once my status changes in the system (i.e. now-ish)? Or would this be a YMMV situation?

Other option I thought, if I couldn't use it until March 1, was to 'hold' 2 seats by booking refundable L+ tickets, but I would rather not do so as that seems like cheating to me :)

As always, thanks!

T.

LTH Dec 7, 2008 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev (Post 10872226)
To get your boarding pass to show your newfound status, call AC, have them delete your Aeroplan number then put it back in and presto your new status gets put in for the flight.

What if it's a AP reward reservation?

Tax Dude Dec 8, 2008 6:14 am

Originally Posted by AskTravis (Post 10872449)
Hi all -

I would like to use IKK for a trip in March... will I need to wait until March to use this privilege, or should it be okay once my status changes in the system (i.e. now-ish)? Or would this be a YMMV situation?

T.

As soon as your status changes online you'll be able to use the IKK benefit (or any other SE benefit for that matter - concierge, SE line, etc) The online change might show up anytime between now and the end of the month and, if history repeats itself, almost certainly before the end of the first week in January.

AskTravis Dec 8, 2008 7:22 am

excellent news, thanks!

T.

ALW Dec 8, 2008 8:01 am

My status changed yesterday online and I was able to see "Classic Special" awards (I was only testing but saw 25K to FL where logging in as another non-status member I saw only 56K).

=aw

taupo Dec 8, 2008 9:31 am

Originally Posted by ALW (Post 10874018)
My status changed yesterday online and I was able to see "Classic Special" awards (I was only testing but saw 25K to FL where logging in as another non-status member I saw only 56K).

=aw

Isn't that a beautiful sight?:)

lcohen999 Dec 8, 2008 10:05 am

Originally Posted by taupo (Post 10874449)
Isn't that a beautiful sight?:)

brought a tear to my eye, actually :D

YYZ Dec 8, 2008 11:09 am

As a new early status 'lite' member, is there a place on the site where I can access the priority elite numbers, or do I have to wait until I get my package in the new year?

Thanks.

The Lev Dec 8, 2008 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by LTH (Post 10872791)
What if it's a AP reward reservation?

I don't think your status shows up on an AE reservation. If what you are after is lounge access, print out a copy of your statement showing you as E.

taupo Dec 8, 2008 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by YYZ (Post 10875156)
As a new early status 'lite' member, is there a place on the site where I can access the priority elite numbers, or do I have to wait until I get my package in the new year?

Thanks.

ALW Dec 9, 2008 11:24 am

Isn't that a beautiful sight?
It is. :) "Classic Special" is specifically SE Instant-KK?

And I may have been wrong on the comparison, I had 2 adults for 50K and the 112K may have been for only 1. I tried what I think are the same dates (Dec 22 and Jan 3, YUL-FLL-YUL) and as SE, all I can get are 40K J awards (including non-stop both ways). :)

As a basic member, ClassicPlus starts at 125500 in Y with connections, 140000 in Y for the non-stop, and 180000 in J.

Of course you'd have to be insane to book that as C+, though in fact the cheapest revenue ticket on those dates is $1046 in Latitude and $1234 in J, so if you were considering paying cash I guess the C+ awards are returning about as well as gift cards (0.8c/mi?).

25K was not available even as SE, why wouldn't I be offered Classic Special at 25K, doesn't that imply the flight is oversold and I shouldn't be getting J at 40K either?

=aw

mackenzie77 Dec 9, 2008 11:28 am

I'm also recently updated as one of those 'early status-lite‘ folk. Can someone be kind enough to point out where I can find the priority contacts mentioned below on the website?

Also, my privileges have already seem to be pre-selected (5 blue check-marked choices, all default ones). Is that some locked pre-selection setting that will open up later this month after I get the official welcome email or is this a mistake that I should call in to get manually changed?

Thanks in advance for the help. Drifted over from KA Skypass over the past year and am pretty excited to get status on AP for the first time!

Originally Posted by taupo (Post 10877905)

ALW Dec 9, 2008 11:38 am

I'm guessing (can't check right now) that those privileges are 2008, which we're not getting anyway. Possibly locked so we don't waste time thinking we can choose something. The 2009 haven't been announced yet.

=aw

Global guy Dec 17, 2008 6:51 am

I'm in 'no man's' land for 2009 benefits

I crossed the SE treshold Dec 11 and miles were posted Dec 14th.

However my online status still shows E and the previous message on the top tier button which was tellign me that I was "about to cross to the next level and could not select my 2009 package at this time" is no longer there.

Can someone indicate, based on your experience:

1 When my online status will be updated to SE?
2 When I can expect to select my 2009 benefits?

Thank you.

bradcc Dec 25, 2008 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by mackenzie77 (Post 10881667)
Also, my privileges have already seem to be pre-selected (5 blue check-marked choices, all default ones). Is that some locked pre-selection setting that will open up later this month after I get the official welcome email or is this a mistake that I should call in to get manually changed?

Does this mean that one would stop getting the 50% Elite bonus miles if that was chosen earlier when he reached elite? Since the default for SE is 5000 status miles and can't be switched to 100% bonus miles after end of Oct....

countmookle Jun 22, 2009 11:37 pm

I have a question about early recognition.

I got downgraded to Prestige this year due to last minute travel cancellations in 2008. I am planning to travel to Africa in February 2010 for leisure and would like SSWUs for that purpose.

If I hit 35K miles in November, will I get usable SSWUs before February 2010? Or will I just get Elite status (which, from my perspective, just means the added benefit of *A lounge access)?

I need to know because trying to hit 35K miles will affect my travel plans this summer.

mileageking Jun 22, 2009 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by countmookle (Post 11953084)
I have a question about early recognition.

I got downgraded to Prestige this year due to last minute travel cancellations in 2008. I am planning to travel to Africa in February 2010 for leisure and would like SSWUs for that purpose.

If I hit 35K miles in November, will I get usable SSWUs before February 2010? Or will I just get Elite status (which, from my perspective, just means the added benefit of *A lounge access)?

I need to know because trying to hit 35K miles will affect my travel plans this summer.

Early recognition deadline towards 2010 qualification is Oct 15th '09. Yes if you qualify before Oct 15th, you'll able able to use your cert's before Feb 2010.

cheers

jerryhung Jun 23, 2009 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by 1K+ (Post 11953116)
Early recognition deadline towards 2010 qualification is Oct 15th '09. Yes if you qualify before Oct 15th, you'll able able to use your cert's before Feb 2010.

cheers

Thanks for the date

Mnn, Canadian Thanksgiving is on Oct 12th, hopefully travel on that date (return segment) will post in Aeroplan in time to qualify

adrianv08 Aug 21, 2009 3:11 pm

What to do about address?

I have 34,414 status miles for 2009. I am flying from LHR-YYZ tomorrow (22 Aug) and will make E. I will fly YYZ-LHR on 7 Sep. Then LHR-YYZ 17 Sep / YYZ-LHR 24 Nov (All for work.) When in Canada I will be in London, ON.

My questions:
- When is the sweep for early status recognition? Sundays?
- How long does it take to get the E package in the post to (a) London, ON and (b) the UK? I have a flat in both.

Best case scenario: If I have it sent to London, ON and it arrives before 7 Sep then I will have the E card for the most number of flights. If it arrives in London after 7 Sep then I will have it for only YYZ-LHR on 24 Nov.

If I have it sent to the UK, it takes longer presumably? And if it arrives after 17 Sep then I will have it for none of the flights!

I'm in a (long) process of immigrating to Canada, so the extra baggage allowance will be very, very useful. I have never had status with an airline before, and nor am I likely to ever again, so I would like to enjoy this opportunity to the max.

Or am I making a mountain out of a molehill and having the actual card a moot point? Are AC check-in and lounge pretty cool about not having the card? I see from other posts that other *A airlines will need the card but I'm only flying AC in the near future. And of course I will have the SSWUs to use before the end of Feb 2010 and the upcoming flights may be the perfect opportunity... SWUs not such a big deal as I don't buy Y/M/U!

What would you do?

Canibus Aug 21, 2009 5:02 pm

In my experience the swap is usually on a sunday, not sure if its weekly or twice a month though. I have a feeling that there is a chance you would receive your package by the 17th of August, albeit at your Canadian address, I doubt you would receive it in LHR on time.

Here is what you need to do : Once you take your flight and points get credited go into your aeroplan profile. Once your status has been updated go to the top-tier section and make your privilege selection ASAP. Don't wait for the email inviting you to do so, it always comes late. Pray for it to be mailed before your flight on 17th sept. Have someone Fedex you your package once it arrives in YXU. Once AP.com reflects Elite status, call AC and have them re-append your AP number so it reflects your Elite status. With this you will be able to get the increased baggage allowance, and possibly access into the lounge at LHR. I say possibly because while MLL agents can check your status in the system, some of them refuse to let you in without the card.

Welcome to the world for FFP!

Originally Posted by adrianv08 (Post 12262187)
I have 34,414 status miles for 2009. I am flying from LHR-YYZ tomorrow (22 Aug) and will make E. I will fly YYZ-LHR on 7 Sep. Then LHR-YYZ 17 Sep / YYZ-LHR 24 Nov (All for work.) When in Canada I will be in London, ON.

My questions:
- When is the sweep for early status recognition? Sundays?
- How long does it take to get the E package in the post to (a) London, ON and (b) the UK? I have a flat in both.

Best case scenario: If I have it sent to London, ON and it arrives before 7 Sep then I will have the E card for the most number of flights. If it arrives in London after 7 Sep then I will have it for only YYZ-LHR on 24 Nov.

If I have it sent to the UK, it takes longer presumably? And if it arrives after 17 Sep then I will have it for none of the flights!

I'm in a (long) process of immigrating to Canada, so the extra baggage allowance will be very, very useful. I have never had status with an airline before, and nor am I likely to ever again, so I would like to enjoy this opportunity to the max.

Or am I making a mountain out of a molehill and having the actual card a moot point? Are AC check-in and lounge pretty cool about not having the card? I see from other posts that other *A airlines will need the card but I'm only flying AC in the near future. And of course I will have the SSWUs to use before the end of Feb 2010 and the upcoming flights may be the perfect opportunity... SWUs not such a big deal as I don't buy Y/M/U!

What would you do?

The Lev Aug 22, 2009 8:54 am

Originally Posted by adrianv08 (Post 12262187)
Or am I making a mountain out of a molehill and having the actual card a moot point? Are AC check-in and lounge pretty cool about not having the card?

Follow Canibus' advice re phoning in and having them remove and add back in your AE number once your status shows as Elite and you will have no issues at check-in - I've never been asked to show my card.

At the lounges they will ask for a card. If your card has not arrived, go to the Aeroplan web site and print off the page showing your status and show it to the lounge attendant letting them know you are a newly minted Elite but have not received your card. That should get you in the lounge.

mileageking Aug 22, 2009 1:26 pm

I'll qualify for next year's SE (presently E) status by mid Sept. I have a few questions:

1. Do I get to choose all of the 2009 SE options i.e. new 2 SSWUs, MLL passes, etc,

2. If I reach 120k by Nov (i.e. 20k more miles once I hit SE in mid Sept at 100k) do I also get the threshold bonus of 2 SSWU?

3. Is anyone able to help me choose or suggest the best options I should go for in mid Sept knowing I will have until Feb 2010 to use the selections I make?

Thanks to all!

cheers.

j_the_p Aug 22, 2009 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by 1K+ (Post 12266114)
I'll qualify for next year's SE (presently E) status by mid Sept. I have a few questions:

1. Do I get to choose all of the 2009 SE options i.e. new 2 SSWUs, MLL passes, etc,

2. If I reach 120k by Nov (i.e. 20k more miles once I hit SE in mid Sept at 100k) do I also get the threshold bonus of 2 SSWU?

3. Is anyone able to help me choose or suggest the best options I should go for in mid Sept knowing I will have until Feb 2010 to use the selections I make?

Thanks to all!

cheers.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. These would by my choices:
a) SE teir bonus, 2 SSWUs
b) 6 Lounge passes and 6 NAUs
c) 2 SSWU for flight pass activities

margarita girl Aug 22, 2009 5:09 pm

Hopefully, you didn't choose 2500 Bonus Status Miles as one of your Elite benefits, as these will be DEDUCTED from your account when you cross the SE threshold. Wise FTers know to choose things they can't take back, like certs. ;)

mileageking Aug 22, 2009 5:36 pm

Thanks guys for your guidance.

MG, I did choose the 2500 status miles option and do regret. Oh well.....

Waiting to receive my 2 SSWU at 75k and then 2 more upon qualifying for SE. I will need to do another 20k to reach 120k and get 2 more SSWU. Total of 6 which I may start using from Jan 1st on long haul segments to have miles post towards 2011 qualification.^

Here I come SE........^

Cheers.

canadaeastRM Aug 25, 2009 2:21 pm

I'm sure its covered out there but are there any benefits of SE early recognition for SE's? Probably a stupid question because of the Threshold certs they send out - I'm guessing the package doesn't come out early to existing SE's

antirealist Aug 25, 2009 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by canadaeastRM (Post 12281386)
I'm sure its covered out there but are there any benefits of SE early recognition for SE's?

No.

adrianv08 Aug 25, 2009 2:52 pm

Many thanks @Canibus @Lev! Very useful.

My miles posted and I have made my selections as advised. I figured that I won't be needing any of the Elite perks for my flights on 7th Sept YYZ-LHR as (a) I won't have any luggage and (b) I'm on the daytripper so I won't be intending on any lounge access. My pack will be sent to the UK - hopefully in time for LHR-YYZ on 17th Sept when I get my increased baggage allowance and priority bags. I've used my parents address in the event it arrives after I've left and they can send it on.

I chose on the basis j_the_p's (and many others) recommendations - makes a lot of sense!

OT but worth mentioning - LHR-YYZ (22 Aug) was slightly marred by a lack of working flight information screens in T3 LHR. There was the usual scrum around any human in a yellow jacket, so I took a punt and went to the "usual pier" (gates 36-40), which turned out to be alright. However, life would have been much more chilled out if I'd been in the AC lounge! Here's to Elite flying!

slashd0t Sep 13, 2009 10:39 pm

It appears I'm going to hit my 50th segment on October 28th this year and was wondering if anyone here thinks I will quality for early status? I know the technical cut off is Oct 15th, but, I've read in previous years of people getting early recognition even in early November.

This is a bit of a concern for me as I'm currently using a CIBC lounge access card that expires in October and I don't want to renew it if i'm going to be *E for 09/10. But, if I'm not going to have the lounge access until March, I may renew it as I'm going to be travelling a ton in December/Jan/Feb.

Any help is appreciated!

The Lev Sep 15, 2009 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by slashd0t (Post 12375933)
It appears I'm going to hit my 50th segment on October 28th this year and was wondering if anyone here thinks I will quality for early status? I know the technical cut off is Oct 15th, but, I've read in previous years of people getting early recognition even in early November.

This is a bit of a concern for me as I'm currently using a CIBC lounge access card that expires in October and I don't want to renew it if i'm going to be *E for 09/10. But, if I'm not going to have the lounge access until March, I may renew it as I'm going to be travelling a ton in December/Jan/Feb.

Any help is appreciated!

My guess is you'll get it. Even if you don't qualify early, if you get your choices in promptly, your card for 2010-2011 should arrive early in 2010 so you will be OK for most of your flying in Jan-Feb.