Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Quirky Pricing on AC.com - Is this legal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2005, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: E75K, Fairmont Platimum

When searching YYZ-YVR on AC.com, I managed to secure a fare (Tango Plus of course) of $701. HOWEVER, when searching a fare YYZ-SEA, which connects through YVR, I can get a fare of $550 in the same class.

Is it possible for me to simply not show for the YVR-SEA segment, thus saving my organization $150? Please advise.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 9:10 pm
Suspended

If you fly tango plus, you will get full miles and your username will be moot.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 9:11 pm
At Large

O/B if you don't have any baggage its not a big deal to just get off in YVR....the return however is something different. If you don't board in SEA you become a no show and your ticket is cancelled.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MapleLeaf
If you fly tango plus, you will get full miles and your username will be moot.
Exactly. But is it legal to simply not show for my segment or will they get on my case about it? Does anyone have any experience with this? I can't see it being a problem, but you never know with travel to the US.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 9:12 pm

Sure, it's legal & you don't have to show up for YVR-SEA. But don't expect to be able to get home to YYZ without booking another ticket...
Old Aug 12, 2005, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by parnel
O/B if you don't have any baggage its not a big deal to just get off in YVR....the return however is something different. If you don't board in SEA you become a no show and your ticket is cancelled.
That is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks, Parnel.

It sounds like I could still feasibly book oneway segments and maybe save $100 or so?

Just tried that - it didn't work, roughly the same price. I guess those AC marketers are sharper than I am!

Last edited by halfmileman; Aug 12, 2005 at 9:17 pm Reason: Just tried that...
Old Aug 12, 2005, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Hidden city ticketing is not exactly kosher from the airline's POV, but as others have said it shouldn't be any problem not using that YVR-SEA portion. I wouldn't make it a regular habit otherwise AC might take a closer look.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, AF, AG... you get the picture
Originally Posted by jjclancy
Sure, it's legal & you don't have to show up for YVR-SEA. But don't expect to be able to get home to YYZ without booking another ticket...
so book two one-way tickets... although figuring out how to board the YVR-YYZ connection without boarding the SEA-YVR flight would be a bit of a challenge...
Old Aug 13, 2005, 1:33 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by parnel
O/B if you don't have any baggage its not a big deal to just get off in YVR.....
If you are flying YYZ-YVR-SEA one-way and decide not to fly the YVR-SEA segment, you can pick up your bags at the baggage claim in the US Departures area at YVR (you just don't go through US Customs/Immigration and board your flight to SEA).
Old Aug 13, 2005, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by daniellam
If you are flying YYZ-YVR-SEA one-way and decide not to fly the YVR-SEA segment, you can pick up your bags at the baggage claim in the US Departures area at YVR (you just don't go through US Customs/Immigration and board your flight to SEA).

Not so simple if you have a checked bag: you in fact would have to clear US immigration, with boarding pass in hand, before going to the baggage carousel for your bag on the way to US customs.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Fermat
so book two one-way tickets... although figuring out how to board the YVR-YYZ connection without boarding the SEA-YVR flight would be a bit of a challenge...
What if you showed up at the YVR checkin, and explained that your brother's car broke down while at a meeting in Bellingham, and there was no way you could get back to SEA in time for your flight, but you managed to get to YVR in time for the connection? Or what if you phoned ahead and told them a story like that?
Old Aug 13, 2005, 6:27 am

Programs: CX Diamond, HH Diamond, A-Club Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Shangri-la Jade, Intercon Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by DanJ
What if you showed up at the YVR checkin, and explained that your brother's car broke down while at a meeting in Bellingham, and there was no way you could get back to SEA in time for your flight, but you managed to get to YVR in time for the connection? Or what if you phoned ahead and told them a story like that?

Fabricating a story like that (a.k.a. telling white lies) is not worth it for $150 IMHO.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
While the one-way base fare may appear cheaper all the way to SEA, once the US fees and segment fuel surcharges are added in, your savings become marginal. And as noted, to return you'd need a separate ticket since AC would cancel all your other segments after you NoShowed for the YVR-SEA segment. Remember, Andrew now works for AC in their tarriffs department, so don't expect to be able to capitalize on any of those little tricks that FT used to be famous for...
Old Aug 13, 2005, 11:42 am

Programs: AC Elite
I regularly fly the SEA - YYZ run sometimes via YVR.

I know from experience that if you book a round trip and don't show up for ANY segment, you lose the rest of your ticket. I tried doing that during the SARS crisis a couple of years ago when my company wouldn't let me fly into or ex YYZ. Back then, I was doing the weekend tricks where I would book regular weekly trips so that the return would be over a weekend.

I think that if you didn't show up for YVR-SEA,
(1) you would have to clear US customs anyway to get your bags
(2) if you had no bags, you would likely end up on the US 'suspicious' list for not showing up for a flight. There's a reason why you have to supply all that advance info!

The SEA-YYZ price is cheaper than the YVR-YYZ price to compete with US carriers. IMO, The tango-plus fare is usually $1 cheaper than the tango fares as the main booking engines (expedia, travelocity, orbitz) display only the cheapest fares. AC wants to show the fare that gives the same benefits as the other US carriers (100% points, seat selection).
Old Aug 13, 2005, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by boymimbo
I think that if you didn't show up for YVR-SEA,
(1) you would have to clear US customs anyway to get your bags
(2) if you had no bags, you would likely end up on the US 'suspicious' list for not showing up for a flight. There's a reason why you have to supply all that advance info!
If OP doing YYZ-YVR-SEA wouldn't have do U.S. customs as OP could just claim the luagge and not check in with U.S. Customs at YVR for the YVR-SEA portion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.