Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2021, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Is 100% the only routing restriction? e.g.

YYZ-JNB IS 8'303mi,

does that mean a routing through Asia like YYZ-PVG-ADD-JNB (15'116mi) is legal for the general NA-Atlantic 8000+ price, which should be 100k? (Is this the new/official mini-RTW thread?)
Old Oct 2, 2021, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
They're going to be publishing a big document with the actual restrictions shortly.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 4:55 pm

North America to India with stopover

Is it possible to fly from US to India with Maldives stopover EWR-MLE-BOM or even another stopover in Amercia e.g. ORD - EWR- MLE - BOM? If so how many points that would be?

Last edited by mak101; Oct 4, 2021 at 5:12 pm
Old Oct 4, 2021, 5:35 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by mak101
Is it possible to fly from US to India with Maldives stopover EWR-MLE-BOM or even another stopover in Amercia e.g. ORD - EWR- MLE - BOM? If so how many points that would be?
Stopovers in Canada/US are not allowed.

You need to know the total distance of your routing in order to price it out. Also are you travelling in economy, business or first?

For example: EWR-FRA-MLE-BOM would be 100,000 + 5000 for the stopover, as that falls into the >8000 miles band

If you end up with an Air Canada segment on your itinerary, pricing will change given dynamic pricing on their flights.

Reward chart is here:https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...s-chart-en.pdf

Last edited by ChrisA330; Oct 4, 2021 at 5:57 pm
Old Oct 4, 2021, 9:01 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I'm a little bit confused with something I've noticed. Are certain flights only going to be available based on married segments (if I'm using that correctly). I was looking at MDE-MVD, it was available via CLO-BOG-PTY, a bit ridiculous, but it was available. Then when I looked for the same PTY-MVD segment, nothing.

Would that mean that the only way to know if what you want is available is to search 1 by 1, then also do the full route? I'm now searching YVR-MDE and doesn't show the routing I'd like. But changing to YVR-BOG the route (YVR-LAX-BOG) is available, then searching BOG-MDE, of course there's like 15 different flights available. At least 8-10 of those flights work with the connection times.

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Is 100% the only routing restriction? e.g.

YYZ-JNB IS 8'303mi,

does that mean a routing through Asia like YYZ-PVG-ADD-JNB (15'116mi) is legal for the general NA-Atlantic 8000+ price, which should be 100k? (Is this the new/official mini-RTW thread?)
I'm not gonna bother doing that research and I don't know off the top of my head but the Prince of Travel post regarding "complex routings" does describe regions you can & cannot transit. I know NA-Eur-SA is not allowed as I was recently looking at that.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
They're going to be publishing a big document with the actual restrictions shortly.
That will be helpful.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Stopovers in Canada/US are not allowed.

You need to know the total distance of your routing in order to price it out. Also are you travelling in economy, business or first?

For example: EWR-FRA-MLE-BOM would be 100,000 + 5000 for the stopover, as that falls into the >8000 miles band

If you end up with an Air Canada segment on your itinerary, pricing will change given dynamic pricing on their flights.

Reward chart is here:https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...s-chart-en.pdf
Thanks Chris.

I am looking in business. Can I find all award availability on air Canada website? or is there any better way to search it? Can I book and hold ticket and then transfer my UR points and confirm it?
Old Oct 8, 2021, 8:11 pm

Can't figure this program out. Just spent 30 minutes on hold, started talking to an agent. He can't explain how to add AC revenue based flights to a partner itinerary or how to predict the cost at all. Alright no problem, so we start looking at the flights segment by segment. Every single one is available on both the cow tool and the AC website. I honestly can't wait for this guide to come out that they're gonna publish, but I'm gonna guess there'll still be questions left unanswered. Not being able to even test anything online has jammed up their call centre too.

OOOOOOOOKAYYYYY, they called me back after the call disconnected, which was awesome. Because I wasn't about to call back and wait on hold for another 30 minutes just to start explaining my whole thing again. I sincerely hope this agent is dead wrong, because if she's not then the program just got significantly less valuable to me.

The booking I'm trying to make is YVR-MDE (I'd settle for BOG if backtracking forces it)-MVD. Pretty easy, almost direct lines. Even under MPM this would've been a piece of cake. I fed the segments to the agent, Nov 2 wasn't available (it is on their website) but that Nov 4 was (website says it's there but when I click it's not), I mention this to her and she says "probably a ghost flight, we have a lot of those in the system". Alright...obviously not on HER but might be nice to get that fixed.

What I'm really trying to figure out is some semi-predictive way to ascertain what kinda damage an AC flight (revenue based) does to an otherwise partner only itinerary (fixed). YVR-MDE is < 4500 so 50k in J for partners. But I'm looking at MVD as the final destination, so that brings it to 60k plus whatever the AC flight I'm starting with adds on.

She goes through, YVR-MEX (AC) MEX-BOG-MDE (CM/AV stop) MDE-BOG-PTY-MVD (AV/CM) and quotes me 90,000 + $177. Not a TOTALLY unreasonable number, but 25,000 higher than it should be unless I've completely misunderstood this program. I ask if she has a breakdown of the points at all, hoping it'll say like "AC YVR-MEX 30,000" (wishful thinking of course lol) and she says "yea it's charging 60,000 for YVR-MDE and 30,000 for MDE-MVD and SOMEWHERE in there is a 5,000 charge for the stopover". This feels a little too coincidental to me, so I press on, YVR-MEX-BOG-MDE is 4,545 so 60,000 and all J flights within South America are 30,000. That makes 90. Not sure where the 5,000 are supposed to be.

She tells me the program was explained to them that people would be charged for 2 one-way tickets, plus the 5,000 for the stopover (as the search engine is doing), so I ask her "why would anyone do that? why wouldn't i just buy 2 one way tickets then and save the 5,000 miles". Then rightfully she points out "well if you cancelled the ticket you'd pay multiple cancellation fees instead of just 1". Ok, point for her. That makes perfect sense. But again I pressed and said "the program information explains it as if a stopover can be completed for only an extra 5,000 miles plus fees on a one-way". She agrees. But then she says "but you pay for two one-ways". So I said "well, then it should be explained as stitch together two one way tickets for only an extra 5,000 miles".

Someone please tell me she's completely wrong. If she's right then I've completely misunderstood this new program and it's WAY less valuable than previously thought. I feel like she's wrong, but they can't seem to just TELL me "sorry you can't backtrack, that's why it's charging for 2 one ways". If that's the case, I'll stopover in BOG and solve this myself. This is maddening! If she's incorrect, then how can anyone so off the mark be dealing with customers? There'd have to be some internal analytics that show she's off calls too fast or something with people HUACAing, or some supervisor would've HAD to have heard a call where she's explained the program completely incorrectly.

Last edited by drvannostren; Oct 8, 2021 at 8:24 pm
Old Oct 8, 2021, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Can't figure this program out. Just spent 30 minutes on hold, started talking to an agent. He can't explain how to add AC revenue based flights to a partner itinerary or how to predict the cost at all. Alright no problem, so we start looking at the flights segment by segment. Every single one is available on both the cow tool and the AC website. I honestly can't wait for this guide to come out that they're gonna publish, but I'm gonna guess there'll still be questions left unanswered. Not being able to even test anything online has jammed up their call centre too.

OOOOOOOOKAYYYYY, they called me back after the call disconnected, which was awesome. Because I wasn't about to call back and wait on hold for another 30 minutes just to start explaining my whole thing again. I sincerely hope this agent is dead wrong, because if she's not then the program just got significantly less valuable to me.

The booking I'm trying to make is YVR-MDE (I'd settle for BOG if backtracking forces it)-MVD. Pretty easy, almost direct lines. Even under MPM this would've been a piece of cake. I fed the segments to the agent, Nov 2 wasn't available (it is on their website) but that Nov 4 was (website says it's there but when I click it's not), I mention this to her and she says "probably a ghost flight, we have a lot of those in the system". Alright...obviously not on HER but might be nice to get that fixed.

What I'm really trying to figure out is some semi-predictive way to ascertain what kinda damage an AC flight (revenue based) does to an otherwise partner only itinerary (fixed). YVR-MDE is < 4500 so 50k in J for partners. But I'm looking at MVD as the final destination, so that brings it to 60k plus whatever the AC flight I'm starting with adds on.

She goes through, YVR-MEX (AC) MEX-BOG-MDE (CM/AV stop) MDE-BOG-PTY-MVD (AV/CM) and quotes me 90,000 + $177. Not a TOTALLY unreasonable number, but 25,000 higher than it should be unless I've completely misunderstood this program. I ask if she has a breakdown of the points at all, hoping it'll say like "AC YVR-MEX 30,000" (wishful thinking of course lol) and she says "yea it's charging 60,000 for YVR-MDE and 30,000 for MDE-MVD and SOMEWHERE in there is a 5,000 charge for the stopover". This feels a little too coincidental to me, so I press on, YVR-MEX-BOG-MDE is 4,545 so 60,000 and all J flights within South America are 30,000. That makes 90. Not sure where the 5,000 are supposed to be.

She tells me the program was explained to them that people would be charged for 2 one-way tickets, plus the 5,000 for the stopover (as the search engine is doing), so I ask her "why would anyone do that? why wouldn't i just buy 2 one way tickets then and save the 5,000 miles". Then rightfully she points out "well if you cancelled the ticket you'd pay multiple cancellation fees instead of just 1". Ok, point for her. That makes perfect sense. But again I pressed and said "the program information explains it as if a stopover can be completed for only an extra 5,000 miles plus fees on a one-way". She agrees. But then she says "but you pay for two one-ways". So I said "well, then it should be explained as stitch together two one way tickets for only an extra 5,000 miles".

Someone please tell me she's completely wrong. If she's right then I've completely misunderstood this new program and it's WAY less valuable than previously thought. I feel like she's wrong, but they can't seem to just TELL me "sorry you can't backtrack, that's why it's charging for 2 one ways". If that's the case, I'll stopover in BOG and solve this myself. This is maddening! If she's incorrect, then how can anyone so off the mark be dealing with customers? There'd have to be some internal analytics that show she's off calls too fast or something with people HUACAing, or some supervisor would've HAD to have heard a call where she's explained the program completely incorrectly.
She's completely wrong.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 10:25 am

Looking at your itinerary, dr, do you pass through BOG twice?

YVR-MEX-BOG-MDE-BOG-PTY-MVD

That would break the bound at MDE.

Is YVR-MEX-PTY-MDE-BOG-MVD possible?
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 3:56 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
@drvannostren, I think @kalderlake may be on to something. Other suggestion if that's correct, could you swap out one of the BOGs for CLO or CTG? I seem to recall AV having a few flights between MDE and those places, and I think CM also flies to both.

Or, sub-optimal solution for sure, but surely in all your MDE travels, you've seen how cheap intra-Colombia tickets are; you could stopover the Aeroplan ticket in BOG and get yourself to/from MDE on a cash ticket.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 9:59 pm

Hi all,

I've booked a one-way F flight on ANA from HND - JFK for September 2022 and now in the process of trying to add on a flight from LGA - YYZ to come home.

However, when I call in to make the change request, the agent says the system doesn't price out the flight to be added to my itinerary and said the only way to do this add-on would be as a separate booking altogether.

Is this a HUCA situation? Or truly not possible.

Thank you
Old Oct 10, 2021, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by kalderlake
Looking at your itinerary, dr, do you pass through BOG twice?

YVR-MEX-BOG-MDE-BOG-PTY-MVD

That would break the bound at MDE.

Is YVR-MEX-PTY-MDE-BOG-MVD possible?
It's possible if the flights were available. But unfortunately they're not. The problem I'm having is that the agent can't simply say "sorry backtracking isn't allowed" and based on some searches I've done, it seems backtracking SOMETIMES is allowed, maybe it's a glitch, maybe the flights are showing available but shouldn't be, maybe they're ghost flights or whatever. I think we're all confident we can extract good value out of this program if/when the rules are black & white, but it feels like some of it is still kinda nebulous. I've found YVR-SFO-JFK-MDE(stop) MDE-BOG-PTY-MVD, I've found each bound individually, but then searching the multi-city and it'll say "no flights available" for days on end.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
@drvannostren, I think @kalderlake may be on to something. Other suggestion if that's correct, could you swap out one of the BOGs for CLO or CTG? I seem to recall AV having a few flights between MDE and those places, and I think CM also flies to both.

Or, sub-optimal solution for sure, but surely in all your MDE travels, you've seen how cheap intra-Colombia tickets are; you could stopover the Aeroplan ticket in BOG and get yourself to/from MDE on a cash ticket.
The first suggestion is absolutely possible, but I haven't been able to find a workaround on these range of dates I was looking for. The domestic tickets absolutely are cheap and I'm more than willing to do just BOG, but the search engine makes this maddening. Search MDE-MVD and you get MDE-BOG-PTY-MVD. Search BOG-MVD and it says no flights available. So I dunno if there's some married segment thing going on or just glitches or what. I would've spent more time on the phone with that agent, but she seemed to be so useless and even just her attitude, not towards me but towards the new program rules. Like I can't fathom how someone so under educated about the product she's "selling" or assisting with can continue on like that. Not trying to get her fired by any means, just trained.

Assuming I can find each segment, YVR-MEX-BOG (stop) BOG-PTY-MVD individually, is there any reason this shouldn't work that you can think of? I feel like it's just gonna come down to a series of HUACA until I get the right agent, which seems like a ridiculous way to do business.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 7:57 am

Knowledgable agent is the key. I was trying to book ORD-HKT but AC website showed nothing with 85K miles options. I found YYZ-HKT with Etihad for 85k miles then I found a bunch of ORD-YYZ on AC for 10K and wanted to piece these 2 together. First agent just said NO you cannot do that and not willing to do it. HUCA second agent was trying to help but said AUH-HKT segments were oversold and she could not grab it. HUCA, third agent was a breeze she knew exactly what to do and I successfully got my tickets.
flyguy6 likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Effective October 1, stopovers can be 45 days instead of 30, and the call center fee will be waived for any booking with a stopover.
Hey, is there a source for this? My areoplan agent said he couldn't find anything like this. Thank you.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sqara82
Hey, is there a source for this? My areoplan agent said he couldn't find anything like this. Thank you.
Scott O'Leary told me (and a hundred other people) in person.
Bohemian1, YOWgary and YYC3722 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.