FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   AC Boxing Day Sale 2020 - 25% off (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2031170-ac-boxing-day-sale-2020-25-off.html)

The Lev Dec 25, 2020 6:56 pm

AC Boxing Day Sale 2020 - 25% off

AC's Boxing Day sale is now up - good until Dec 28 with 25% off base fares through June 30th.

More generous than in prior years.

YOWgary Dec 25, 2020 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev (Post 32913364)
AC's Boxing Day sale is now up - good until Dec 28 with 25% off base fares through June 30th.

I wish I trusted Air Canada enough to give them my money right now, but that's not what they've earned this year.

I'm not willing to book now for a flight in May, when there's a decent chance they'll cancel it, claim "government regulations" that don't exist, and force me into giving them an interest-free loan until COVID's over.
​​​

NA-Flyer Dec 25, 2020 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev (Post 32913364)

J fares are included?

canadiancow Dec 25, 2020 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer (Post 32913539)
J fares are included?

All fares.

Adam Smith Dec 25, 2020 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 32913552)
All fares.

Provided they're eligible for discount codes. Not sure whether there any good K or P or other cheap fares these days that will disappear when the promo code is applied.

canadiancow Dec 25, 2020 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 32913586)
Provided they're eligible for discount codes. Not sure whether there any good K or P or other cheap fares these days that will disappear when the promo code is applied.

I've been scouring trying to find some decent P fares to see if there's anything I can book.

I found some, but when the base fare is $500 USD and the YQ is $1500 USD, the code isn't worth much :p

yvrcnx Dec 25, 2020 11:36 pm

Have been looking at fares from YVR to BOG in March in Business which are now just over $ 1,700 (with the 25% code) via YYZ all lie flat seats on 4 segments. Not bad value if I just had a crystal ball and would know how things will look in March. :D

tcook052 Dec 25, 2020 11:52 pm

The promo code yields a difference of about $60 between Flex and Comfort on a OW YEG-LGA next June and for all the perks, mileage accrual, and refundability that's a no-brainer to me.

Adam Smith Dec 26, 2020 12:05 am

Originally Posted by yvrcnx (Post 32913599)
Have been looking at fares from YVR to BOG in March in Business which are now just over $ 1,700 (with the 25% code) via YYZ all lie flat seats on 4 segments. Not bad value if I just had a crystal ball and would know how things will look in March. :D

Historically, I think United has been fairly frequently available for less than that, although it would only have a lie-flat on 1/4 legs most of the time (or 2/4 if you were willing to take the IAH-BOG redeye). For AC, that's a steal of a deal.

But with AC's (no-)refund policies, is it worth taking the gamble when you could book UA and be assured of a refund if they cancelled your flight?

mileageking Dec 26, 2020 5:36 am

Wish they included 25% off on redemption bookings.

Bogwoppit Dec 26, 2020 7:19 am

Originally Posted by YOWgary (Post 32913371)
I wish I trusted Air Canada enough to give them my money right now, but that's not what they've earned this year.

I'm not willing to book now for a flight in May, when there's a decent chance they'll cancel it, claim "government regulations" that don't exist, and force me into giving them an interest-free loan until COVID's over.
​​​

The last 25% sale I used to buy fully refundable seats for hubby and I. He has had to cancel, the refund hit my CC the next day. So it can be a useful discount for that situation.

YOWgary Dec 26, 2020 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 32913620)
Historically, I think United has been fairly frequently available for less than that, although it would only have a lie-flat on 1/4 legs most of the time (or 2/4 if you were willing to take the IAH-BOG redeye). For AC, that's a steal of a deal.

But with AC's (no-)refund policies, is it worth taking the gamble when you could book UA and be assured of a refund if they cancelled your flight?

Heck, book the AC flights through United.

You'll still get status credit, and if AC decides a week out that the government has somehow forbidden your 7pm flight from ABC to XYZ, but the 7am, 11am and 3pm flights on the same route are still safe, you'll get your money back.

tracon Dec 26, 2020 9:49 am

Originally Posted by mileageking (Post 32913867)
Wish they included 25% off on redemption bookings.

50% off was offered earlier this year.:)

mileageking Dec 26, 2020 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by tracon (Post 32914239)
50% off was offered earlier this year.:)

Agree, 50% off repeat would have been awesome. I think 25% off would have still been acceptable and would have kept marketing simple and consistent between revenue and redemption - consumer gets to pick either at 25% off.

yyznomad Dec 26, 2020 2:07 pm

Well, one quarter off base fare discount is still pretty good, on its own. But yeah, given ongoing uncertainty, still a tough one to bite on.