Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Free COVID "medical and quarantine" insurance for international flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2020, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum Elite

Combined with Air Canada's COVID-test-on-arrival partnership with McMaster University it's clear they're really, really eager to get people flying internationally again.

Whether it’s reconnecting with close family, or helping their businesses prosper, Canadians have many important reasons to travel outside of Canada. So as soon as you’re ready for takeoff, Air Canada is here to help you travel, safely and securely.

Starting today, new round-trip international flight bookings until and including October 31, 2020 with Air Canada will include complimentary COVID-19 emergency medical and quarantine insurance underwritten by The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company (“Manulife”), Canada’s largest provider of travel insurance.

This Manulife COVID-19 insurance is the most extensive geographical coverage included by a Canadian airline for Canadian residents: every destination we fly to outside of Canada. This even extends to tickets booked with Aeroplan Miles.

We hope this new insurance, combined with Air Canada CleanCare+, our industry-leading biosafety measures, and our flexible change and cancellation policies, gives you peace-of-mind for your future international travel.

Learn more about this new coverage from Manulife and our other safety measures, here. You can also contact Manulife by calling a Manulife customer service representative at 1-866-521-8506 or emailing them at [email protected].
Old Sep 17, 2020, 7:50 am

Programs: AC 35k
Not surprised. Winter is going to be a disaster for the airlines as domestic travel drops and no one is going to sun destinations.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum Elite
I recall the media latched onto the "funeral costs" clause of the Emirates COVID-19 insurance offering a couple of months back.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 8:10 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
incentive for int'l travel via AP

I see this "free" insurance as an incentive to book international travel (prior to 31 October) through Aeroplan.

Why Oct 31 ? Might be because the "new" AP launches on 8 Nov. Coincidence?
Old Sep 17, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
lol, good luck filing claims...these insurance companies always try to deny the claim. Make sure you get and READ the fine print. Many exclusions. Scam if you ask me.

One example: you must call their 1800 number before you are admitted to a hospital. If you do not, they may deny your claim or not pay the full amount.

READ THE FINE PRINT.

Last edited by Eagle2000; Sep 17, 2020 at 9:23 am
Old Sep 17, 2020, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Level 3 Travel Advisory upgraded to Level 4 Travel Advisory by Canadian Government:

Up to a combined $500 per person for: *return airfare* meals and accommodations

Aside from this, it all seems reasonable.

Except I'm not eligible due to not having an OHIP card
Old Sep 17, 2020, 9:29 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by eagle215
lol, good luck filing claims...these insurance companies always try to deny the claim. Make sure you get and READ the fine print. Many exclusions. Scam if you ask me.

One example: you must call their 1800 number before you are admitted to a hospital. If you do not, they may deny your claim or not pay the full amount.

READ THE FINE PRINT.
I would contend that this is no more of a "scam" than any other travel related insurance, including those offered as part of premium credit cards. Possibly even less so since you aren't overtly being asked to opt into an additional fee above the price of carriage.

But I totally agree about reading the fine print, including the exclusions around code-share partners, one-way flights and travel completion dates.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 9:49 am

I would not depend on it

Based on previous experience there is no way I would depend on this. I had travel insurance that should have paid based on the T&Cs of the insurance and travel provider in effect when I booked travel before COVID.

The travel provider unilaterally changed their terms with out my consent and then insurance would not pay.

Nothing to say they will not pull the same stunt here if conditions change for the worse or something else unseen arises.

They can fool me once. But not again.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 10:15 am

In the "Learn More" link ...

What's not covered
Travel during your cruise dates, or any expenses related to your cruise.

So, land: ok. Cruise: not ok?
Old Sep 17, 2020, 10:24 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by Bokehman
In the "Learn More" link ...

What's not covered
Travel during your cruise dates, or any expenses related to your cruise.

So, land: ok. Cruise: not ok?
Given how quick the virus spread on those floating petri-dishes I am not surprised!
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by eagle215

READ THE FINE PRINT.
That's pretty standard among travel insurance products. There are, of course, exceptions made if you have a legitimate reason that you were unable to call.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 11:03 am
Suspended

deleted
loyalty lobby answered my questions

Last edited by BenSenise; Sep 17, 2020 at 11:11 am
Old Sep 17, 2020, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BenSenise
"Starting today, new round-trip international flight bookings until and including October 31, 2020 with Air Canada…"

ambiguity bugs me.
does the above statement mean that the booking is made by Oct 31 or travel is covered until Oct 31?
do "bookings with Air Canada" include flights on other carriers booked as code share through AC? I know the flight itself is not what's covered but what if you got to your final destination on another carrier? e.g. AC YVR-FRA then LH FRA-XXX
All your questions are answered on https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...insurance.html
Old Sep 17, 2020, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
For a product that's "free", this insurance policy isn't that bad. When you read the Certificate of Insurance, yes there are quite a few restrictions but you get what you pay for.

Combine this with government insurance + 3rd party (BlueCross, AMEX Travel Insurance etc) and you should be reasonably well covered IMHO.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: AC 35k
International travel is going to be in the toilet until the federal government relaxes the 14 day return quarantine. Even a test protocol to shorten to 5 days would help a ton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.