FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Taxes for Reward booking higher on phone than online? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/2020884-taxes-reward-booking-higher-phone-than-online.html)

yvrcnx Jul 2, 2020 2:22 pm

Taxes for Reward booking higher on phone than online?

I just tried to make a booking for 2 domestic shorthaul return tickets using Aeroplan miles.
I did this through an agent as it is a 2 for 1 offer.
The taxes I was quoted by the agent were just over $ 320 for both tickets but on the Aeroplan site, when making a 'dummy booking' it came out to only $ 208.42.

Has anyone else have this happen?

canadiancow Jul 2, 2020 2:26 pm

Can you copy the taxes from the confirmation email and provide the itinerary?

It should look something like:

Carrier Surcharge - $7.50
U.S. Passenger Safety Fee - $7.65
U.S Passenger Facility Charge - $6.15

Stranger Jul 2, 2020 2:26 pm

There is an additional fee when booking though an agent, could that be it?

canadiancow Jul 2, 2020 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 32503108)
There is an additional fee when booking though an agent, could that be it?

That wouldn't add up to $112.

Stranger Jul 2, 2020 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 32503120)
That wouldn't add up to $112.

Indeed, that should amount to $30 per ticket.

yvrcnx Jul 2, 2020 2:43 pm

Problem just got solved. Because I was making use of the 2 for 1 offer through my AMEX AC Platinum card the taxes shows for regular members and the system didn't pick up the Elite status for which taxes are lower. So it's all good and taken care of. :)

canadiancow Jul 2, 2020 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by yvrcnx (Post 32503162)
Problem just got solved. Because I was making use of the 2 for 1 offer through my AMEX AC Platinum card the taxes shows for regular members and the system didn't pick up the Elite status for which taxes are lower. So it's all good and taken care of. :)

Ugh that should have been so obvious.

$27 per person, each way, is $108. Plus tax and there we go.

Glad it worked out.

yvrcnx Jul 2, 2020 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 32503194)
Ugh that should have been so obvious.

$27 per person, each way, is $108. Plus tax and there we go.

Glad it worked out.

Yes, it was kind of strange and I got a call back about 20 minutes later from another person who figured it out.
The difference was in the carrier surcharge which it looks like is $ 30 per person/per ticket, versus the just over $ 80 per person for non-elite members.

Just glad it got sorted out as I wouldn't have been too happy paying $ 150 in taxes for this shorthaul flight, even $ 100 is quite a lot but we are just looking forward to get out and flying again in a couple of weeks. :)