FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   AC to use generic gender neutral terms in on-board announcements (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1991012-ac-use-generic-gender-neutral-terms-board-announcements.html)

YOWCDNFF Oct 12, 2019 6:35 am

AC to use generic gender neutral terms in on-board announcements

In French in La Presse: https://www.lapresse.ca/affaires/ent...air-canada.php

In summary, on board staff will no longer make announcements such as "Welcome Ladies and Gentlemen" but more along the lines of "Welcome onboard everyone". Manuals are currently being updated for mainline.

simpleflyer Oct 12, 2019 7:48 am

Since they give announcements in both English and French, and French is intrinsically not a gender neutral language (e.g. un avion, not une avion) I find this perplexing

It won't do any harm but it also won't do much good, either; it won't increase safety, speed of washroom queues, leg room, on time performance, quality of food offerings, price of tickets, air miles awarded per dollar spent, or much else of practical use.

On the plus side, it probably won't increase carbon emissions from the plane, unfortunately it won't reduce said emissions, either. But it WILL allow them to crow they are 'socially conscious' if that floats your boat, or flies your plane, as the case may be.

SparseFlyer Oct 12, 2019 7:56 am

Well, technically speaking, less time doing announcements mean more time doing other work, so technically an increase in service even if only 0.00001%.

cooleddie Oct 12, 2019 8:48 am

They should just play their announcements using pre recorded materials. Some FAs butcher their announcements

YWG-RO Oct 12, 2019 9:54 am

I’d be happy with anything to make their announcements more succinct. It can take them several minutes to say “seatbelts” in 3-4 languages when it gets bumpy on a transoceanic flight. Canned announcements would be great.

SparseFlyer Oct 12, 2019 10:23 am

Originally Posted by YWG-RO (Post 31620699)
I’d be happy with anything to make their announcements more succinct. It can take them several minutes to say “seatbelts” in 3-4 languages when it gets bumpy on a transoceanic flight. Canned announcements would be great.

I don't know man... I enjoy hearing シートベルトください in a maximum Québec accent on YULNRT.

karachi Oct 12, 2019 10:32 am

Originally Posted by YWG-RO (Post 31620699)

I've had about 12 minutes of the FA giving detailed instructions in 3 languages on the IFE and on board wifi. Every other airlines tell people to check the inseat material for wifi, and assumes people will figure out how to touch a bloody screen to watch a movie.

Fiordland Oct 12, 2019 10:55 am

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer (Post 31620765)
I don't know man... I enjoy hearing シートベルトください in a maximum Québec accent on YULNRT.

Should be reworded as:

"I don't know person... I enjoy hearing シートベルトください in a maximum Québec accent on YULNRT"

or

"I don't know man, woman or other ... I enjoy hearing シートベルトください in a maximum Québec accent on YULNRT"

Does not quite sound correct. Clearly they are not going to hire me to do the translations.

SparseFlyer Oct 12, 2019 11:56 am

Originally Posted by fiordland (Post 31620842)
should be reworded as:

"i don't know person... I enjoy hearing シートベルトください in a maximum québec accent on yulnrt"

or

"i don't know man, woman or other ... I enjoy hearing シートベルトください in a maximum québec accent on yulnrt"

does not quite sound correct. Clearly they are not going to hire me to do the translations.

🤣🤣🤣

StuckInYYZ Oct 12, 2019 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland (Post 31620842)
Should be reworded as:

"I don't know person... I enjoy hearing シートベルトください in a maximum Québec accent on YULNRT"

or

"I don't know man, woman or other ... I enjoy hearing シートベルトください in a maximum Québec accent on YULNRT"

Does not quite sound correct. Clearly they are not going to hire me to do the translations.

Unfortunately that's not a route I will be on, but if someone would kindly record that and post it here, I would be grateful...

Note, no gender pronouns were harmed in the writing of this post... :)

ricktoronto Oct 12, 2019 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by simpleflyer (Post 31620386)
Since they give announcements in both English and French, and French is intrinsically not a gender neutral language (e.g. un avion, not une avion) I find this perplexing

Really, you can continue to have masculine and feminine nouns for objects while using non gender specific words for things with actual genders, e.g. humans. To test my point of view, I asked an ottoman, a fence, a bowl of soup and an owl and all said, OK to use un/une (as the case may be), go for it.

Also welcome aboard everyone, everybody (humans with bodies, e.g. not soup), folks, etc,. is nice and cheery so no harm done at all.

Santander Oct 12, 2019 5:02 pm

I see AC is focusing on what really matters, as always.

opentag Oct 12, 2019 5:19 pm

What good will it do? It will make people who live life marginalized and mocked feel just slightly more welcomed and comfortable. If you're complaining about Air Canada making the smallest of language changes the problem may not actually be Air Canada's.

AC681 Oct 12, 2019 6:32 pm

As someone who's gender non-conforming, it's a nice little change.

mikesyr18 Oct 13, 2019 8:43 am

Originally Posted by opentag (Post 31621796)
What good will it do? It will make people who live life marginalized and mocked feel just slightly more welcomed and comfortable. If you're complaining about Air Canada making the smallest of language changes the problem may not actually be Air Canada's.

Doesn't do any good other than to irritate those who are sick of a PC culture.