Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC to use generic gender neutral terms in on-board announcements

Old Oct 12, 19, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, HH Diamond, ClubAccor Platinum, Marriott Silver

In French in La Presse: https://www.lapresse.ca/affaires/ent...air-canada.php

In summary, on board staff will no longer make announcements such as "Welcome Ladies and Gentlemen" but more along the lines of "Welcome onboard everyone". Manuals are currently being updated for mainline.
Toronto1970 and RatherBeInYOW like this.
Old Oct 12, 19, 8:48 am

Since they give announcements in both English and French, and French is intrinsically not a gender neutral language (e.g. un avion, not une avion) I find this perplexing

It won't do any harm but it also won't do much good, either; it won't increase safety, speed of washroom queues, leg room, on time performance, quality of food offerings, price of tickets, air miles awarded per dollar spent, or much else of practical use.

On the plus side, it probably won't increase carbon emissions from the plane, unfortunately it won't reduce said emissions, either. But it WILL allow them to crow they are 'socially conscious' if that floats your boat, or flies your plane, as the case may be.
Old Oct 12, 19, 8:56 am

Programs: sqrt(-school of apologist)
Well, technically speaking, less time doing announcements mean more time doing other work, so technically an increase in service even if only 0.00001%.
polinka, D582 and AStarr like this.
Old Oct 12, 19, 9:48 am

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
They should just play their announcements using pre recorded materials. Some FAs butcher their announcements
Auto Enthusiast and Symmetre like this.
Old Oct 12, 19, 10:54 am

Programs: AC SE100, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
I’d be happy with anything to make their announcements more succinct. It can take them several minutes to say “seatbelts” in 3-4 languages when it gets bumpy on a transoceanic flight. Canned announcements would be great.
Old Oct 12, 19, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by YWG-RO View Post
I’d be happy with anything to make their announcements more succinct. It can take them several minutes to say “seatbelts” in 3-4 languages when it gets bumpy on a transoceanic flight. Canned announcements would be great.
I don't know man... I enjoy hearing シートベルトください in a maximum Québec accent on YULNRT.
Old Oct 12, 19, 11:32 am

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
Originally Posted by YWG-RO View Post
I've had about 12 minutes of the FA giving detailed instructions in 3 languages on the IFE and on board wifi. Every other airlines tell people to check the inseat material for wifi, and assumes people will figure out how to touch a bloody screen to watch a movie.
Old Oct 12, 19, 11:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer View Post
I don't know man... I enjoy hearing シートベルトください in a maximum Québec accent on YULNRT.
Should be reworded as:

"I don't know person... I enjoy hearing シートベルトください in a maximum Québec accent on YULNRT"

or

"I don't know man, woman or other ... I enjoy hearing シートベルトください in a maximum Québec accent on YULNRT"

Does not quite sound correct. Clearly they are not going to hire me to do the translations.
Old Oct 12, 19, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by fiordland View Post
should be reworded as:

"i don't know person... I enjoy hearing シートベルトください in a maximum québec accent on yulnrt"

or

"i don't know man, woman or other ... I enjoy hearing シートベルトください in a maximum québec accent on yulnrt"

does not quite sound correct. Clearly they are not going to hire me to do the translations.
🤣🤣🤣
Auto Enthusiast and Fiordland like this.
Old Oct 12, 19, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland View Post
Should be reworded as:

"I don't know person... I enjoy hearing シートベルトください in a maximum Québec accent on YULNRT"

or

"I don't know man, woman or other ... I enjoy hearing シートベルトください in a maximum Québec accent on YULNRT"

Does not quite sound correct. Clearly they are not going to hire me to do the translations.
Unfortunately that's not a route I will be on, but if someone would kindly record that and post it here, I would be grateful...

Note, no gender pronouns were harmed in the writing of this post...
Old Oct 12, 19, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by simpleflyer View Post
Since they give announcements in both English and French, and French is intrinsically not a gender neutral language (e.g. un avion, not une avion) I find this perplexing
Really, you can continue to have masculine and feminine nouns for objects while using non gender specific words for things with actual genders, e.g. humans. To test my point of view, I asked an ottoman, a fence, a bowl of soup and an owl and all said, OK to use un/une (as the case may be), go for it.

Also welcome aboard everyone, everybody (humans with bodies, e.g. not soup), folks, etc,. is nice and cheery so no harm done at all.
ambyr likes this.
Old Oct 12, 19, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, HH Gold, MR Titanium, IHG Spire, Accor Silver, National EE, Hertz PC
I see AC is focusing on what really matters, as always.
Old Oct 12, 19, 6:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
What good will it do? It will make people who live life marginalized and mocked feel just slightly more welcomed and comfortable. If you're complaining about Air Canada making the smallest of language changes the problem may not actually be Air Canada's.

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 12, 19 at 7:15 pm
Old Oct 12, 19, 7:32 pm

As someone who's gender non-conforming, it's a nice little change.
Old Oct 13, 19, 9:43 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by opentag View Post
What good will it do? It will make people who live life marginalized and mocked feel just slightly more welcomed and comfortable. If you're complaining about Air Canada making the smallest of language changes the problem may not actually be Air Canada's.
Doesn't do any good other than to irritate those who are sick of a PC culture.

Search this Thread