Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Most expensive wine served by AC in J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most expensive wine served by AC in J

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I've said my piece before about the wine so won't continue that whine. So to speak.

But I agree with @PB53x11 and @canadiancow that the 'premium' beer not being available to J pax (for free) makes zero sense.
Given the poor beer lineup offered in the Signature Suite, it seems like the in flight situation is pretty hopeless if beer follows the same trend as wine.
Dolphin2 and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:41 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
WestJet has proper Canadian ice wine. Air Canada couldn't even match that. Though they have sent out customer surveys to see if they should, so they are clearly afraid of some competition in this area.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
I quite like the Trapiche Malbec currently being served - it isn't the "basic" Trapiche model that goes for $11.25 at the LCBO but forgot the exact name.
Trapiche Perfiles Calcareo Malbec.
The Lev likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The usually warm champagne?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:11 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Gold
I was flying international Y on Air France (first time) a few years ago and I thought that the wines would reflect the French appreciation for wine. Even in Y you would think that they could source quality inexpensive wine. However, the wine they served was much lower quality than almost any wine I have had on AC over the years. It was a step above (not a big step) paint thinner! The whole AF experience, however, gave me a different perspective about AC.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by jasdou
Trapiche Perfiles Calcareo Malbec.
Thanks

(...and it is a wine that sells for over $20 a bottle).
jasdou likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Lev
Thanks

(...and it is a wine that sells for over $20 a bottle).
Only refernce I could find was Natalie Mclean. Price: $18.95.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It's not about cost to me, it's about taste (which is obviously very personal). I've had VERY good $15 bottles from Safeway. I've had very bad $80 bottles from a winery.

But I agree in principle. You want better wine, I want some rum alternatives

The fact that North American Y has more options for beer and liquor than both NA J and international Y/J is ludicrous.
One of the reasons I prefer to drink liquor when traveling is that most liquor products are identical wherever you buy them - so if you know there's something you like, you can count on it tasting the same. I do enjoy wine from time to time, but "taste 3 wines to see if I like any of them" is not on the agenda if I just want to have a couple drinks and go to sleep on a long flight.

Originally Posted by belky15
I was flying international Y on Air France (first time) a few years ago and I thought that the wines would reflect the French appreciation for wine. Even in Y you would think that they could source quality inexpensive wine. However, the wine they served was much lower quality than almost any wine I have had on AC over the years. It was a step above (not a big step) paint thinner! The whole AF experience, however, gave me a different perspective about AC.
AC is the worst flag carrier, except for all the other ones. Well OK, there's a few good ones (mostly Asian), but against the European majors (LH, AF, BA) I think AC stacks up decently. BA is probably the most miserly airline on the planet in both Y and J.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eigenvector
I do enjoy wine from time to time, but "taste 3 wines to see if I like any of them" is not on the agenda if I just want to have a couple drinks and go to sleep on a long flight.
I just ask for a sip of one of them. Then if I suspect another one is better, I just ask for thee other one. Leaving the third one for another day.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:47 pm

I find it ridiculous how AC advertise they hired a sommelier to pick the $10-$20 wines they are serving onboard.
Do you really need a sommelier for that selection?
flyquiet, Nazdoom and 42000ft like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:05 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by keitherson
WestJet has proper Canadian ice wine. Air Canada couldn't even match that. Though they have sent out customer surveys to see if they should, so they are clearly afraid of some competition in this area.
I also had the Mission Hill Ice Wine on Swiss two times (now it was First class) and had to really give a good story to the flight attendant who was not so well-versed in the art of Canadian Ice Wine!.
This is - however - quite a pricey treat but perhaps no more pricey than a good cognac.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by agjil
I find it ridiculous how AC advertise they hired a sommelier to pick the $10-$20 wines they are serving onboard.
Not saying they do it perfectly, but it is probably more important when you're working in a low price point to do it well.
eigenvector likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by agjil
The sommelier that graduated last in their sommelier class has to work somewhere, no?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
The sommelier that graduated last in their sommelier class has to work somewhere, no?
Ahem... Why the world’s top female sommelier chose to come home to Gatineau
run&fly and mromalley like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Current wines: Domäne Gobelsburg Grüner Veltliner, SAQ $18.60. Nicolas Potel Chardonnay, SAQ $23.40. Henry of Pelham Pinot Noir, SAQ $19.35, Manitoba, $16.99, Avignonesi Cantaloro, $19.75 at Zyn in Calgary. Trapiche was already discussed. I found it at $19.80 I believe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.