Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada CEO lands a $52.7-million payday

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada CEO lands a $52.7-million payday

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Not sure it's fair to assume he's giving the bare minimum to charity, or only what benefits him. There are a lot of people who give huge amounts of money to charity because they believe it he right thing to do.
Is it because they feel it is right or they feel guilty?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Based on every interview I have read I don't like Calin. But I can respect his accomplishments, and he absolutely deserves credit for the financial performance of AC since he's been at the helm. The board and the shareholders must love him, and he deserves everything he can get.

But don't mistake financial performance, share price or company valuation for customer or brand loyalty. Air Canada operates in what amounts to a duopolistic environment, and pretty much a monopoly when it comes to business travel, for Canadians. And they've had this position sheltered by the Canadian government. They haven't built this success based on excellent service or performance i.e the Air Canada brand, they've built it based on optimizing around cost reduction. Maximize time in the air, reduce staff and crew, cram as many people in to the plane as possible and then try and market Signature Class as a differentiation at the top end so some people will pay for it.

But between a miserable experience in Y, no staff at the airport or answering the phones, and seats that can't stay inflated in J ... let's just say that if WS joined an alliance and developed in to a real competitor outside of domestic & leisure routes, or if the ME3 were ever allowed unfettered access to this market, that I doubt the average consumer or the average frequent flyer would be so "bought in".

Air Canada is objectively a terrible airline from a service and operational perspective, but they have transformed in to an excellent airline from a financial perspective. The latter has come at the expense of the former.
Although your statements likely reflect personal experience, as a top tier frequent flier, my experience has been vastly different. In comparison to flights taken on other carriers, including the 2 of the 3 US majors, Swiss, Lufthansa, LOT, and British Airways, only Swiss was vastly superior in terms of the experience at ZRH and in the air. AC provides very good in flight and ground experience to its top tier and frequent fliers, especially the concierge service to super elites. Expecting to get similar service when paying very basic fares is rather unrealistic. The service on EasyJet and similar is atrocious, with basically no ground staff to speak of, long queues at check-in, rock hard and crammed seats on the aircraft, and minimal inflight service. You basically get what you pay for, and basic and standard fare gets you basic and standard service respectively.
5mm likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Air Canada is objectively a terrible airline from a service and operational perspective, but they have transformed in to an excellent airline from a financial perspective. The latter has come at the expense of the former.
Compared to who?

AC is making massive inroads to the US hinterland - TPAC/TATL market. One must assume that USian travelers know something if this was not an abject failure within months.

Personally, an average of 30 minutes late on 5x daily, 2x daily, daily is vastly superior to on time 2x daily or never when compared to, say, WS metal.

Is AC 2019 as luxurious as AC 1985? Nope. Neither is anyone else.
AltaBound and 5mm like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Is it because they feel it is right or they feel guilty?
I have a LOT of mouths to feed and wouldn’t feel a shred of guilt if I kept all my money. No one would blame me either. I’m the epitome of Average Joe who makes an average living. I give to charity because I feel it’s right, and unless in a conversation such as this I would never talk about it openly. I am not an exceptional human in any way, so I choose to believe that most give because they want to.
AltaBound and 5mm like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:24 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Norcanair
The difference between basic and standard Y fares and a PY fares is quite substantial, often more than double. This statement only applies to the status-chaser Y fares.
I wouldn’t use the term “ status-chaser”, because there a a lot of extra benefits by flying flex for FF’s. But basic/standard fares only really exist because of the small pitch in Y. If seat pitch/ service went back to 1980 standards, you would most likely paying 2 to 3 x the current prices. There’s no way you would find seats to Europe under $400(One Way) out of Saskatoon like you can today.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
Although your statements likely reflect personal experience, as a top tier frequent flier, my experience has been vastly different. In comparison to flights taken on other carriers, including the 2 of the 3 US majors, Swiss, Lufthansa, LOT, and British Airways, only Swiss was vastly superior in terms of the experience at ZRH and in the air. AC provides very good in flight and ground experience to its top tier and frequent fliers, especially the concierge service to super elites. Expecting to get similar service when paying very basic fares is rather unrealistic. The service on EasyJet and similar is atrocious, with basically no ground staff to speak of, long queues at check-in, rock hard and crammed seats on the aircraft, and minimal inflight service. You basically get what you pay for, and basic and standard fare gets you basic and standard service respectively.
What about when paying premium fares? My recent TPAC featured an MLL with no food options, limited catering options on board, wretched lavatory, and detached cabin staff. On the plus side, my seat was inflated and my seat wasn't filthy. I have status, although not SE, but was treated the same as the back of the bus. At least I get a smile elsewhere. Calin the magnificent made money for AC and now he gets his payoff.

The downside of such largesse is that Bob the baggage handler, Fran the FA, Lana the lavatory cleaner et all will resent it and will act accordingly. North American executive compensation packages are far too large when it comes to individuals who do not create new wealth or innovate. Calin did well cutting costs, killing a pension crisis and bandaging labour relations wounds. He did not fundamentally change the airline culture to something that it wasn't, nor did he really change anything in respect to product quality. He reversed service cuts that others had made, and this was not innovative. He isn't alone.
Symmetre likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
AC provides very good in flight and ground experience to its top tier and frequent fliers, especially the concierge service to super elites. Expecting to get similar service when paying very basic fares is rather unrealistic.
Sure, I'm SE too, and I love the concierge. But what percentage of the flying public are we? That is irrelevant to the general public, and even to most frequent fliers, who make up the vast majority of people flying and thus the majority of the revenue.

And when AC is in the bottom few airlines globally for OTP all the SE status in the world means nothing when your flight is delayed. Again. And that horrendous OTP is directly related to the bottom line; AC can't turn a plane in 30 minutes because they have no staff and so you're delayed, but the stock goes up because more flights on the same metal and fewer staff = more profit. I understand why they do it, and the shareholders and Calin's wallet are certainly happy, but I don't have to like it and I can still call a turd a turd.

The service on EasyJet and similar is atrocious, with basically no ground staff to speak of, long queues at check-in, rock hard and crammed seats on the aircraft, and minimal inflight service. You basically get what you pay for, and basic and standard fare gets you basic and standard service respectively.
Yes, let's set the bar at at EasyJet Can you not come up with some airlines that better run operationally than AC and offer superior service, and probably actually have some brand loyalty? Because I can.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
AC is making massive inroads to the US hinterland - TPAC/TATL market. One must assume that USian travelers know something if this was not an abject failure within months.
They're making inroads because they are dumping super cheap fares on US travelers to attract them. Which one can do when the 777 they are connecting on to has 450 seats, isn't cleaned properly and is being boarded by three gate agents. Again, this is Air Canada's choice, and if it works great for the share price, but don't mistake this as some kind of Air Canada loyalty and brand awareness on the part of US leisure travelers when the real reason is $400 BWI-YYZ-CDG (or whatever) r/t seats.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Yes, let's set the bar at at EasyJet Can you not come up with some airlines that better run operationally than AC and offer superior service, and probably actually have some brand loyalty? Because I can.
You'd be surprised how much brand loyalty Easyjet has (and Ryanair for that matter)
Also, annual OTP - Easyjet 75%, AC 66.6%. Source: OAG

They're making inroads because they are dumping super cheap fares on US travelers to attract them. Which one can do when the 777 they are connecting on to has 450 seats, isn't cleaned properly and is being boarded by three gate agents. Again, this is Air Canada's choice, and if it works great for the share price, but don't mistake this as some kind of Air Canada loyalty and brand awareness on the part of US leisure travelers when the real reason is $400 BWI-YYZ-CDG (or whatever) r/t seats.
Bingo, in fact, if I was a Canadian frequent flyer patronizing AC - I'd be furious that the guy flying from small town USA pays half the premium fare, and quarter of the economy fare to Asia/Europe.

How many USA-China $400 pax are loyal to AC and "brand aware", and how many would ditch them as soon as someone else offered $395
Symmetre likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I have a LOT of mouths to feed and wouldn’t feel a shred of guilt if I kept all my money. No one would blame me either. I’m the epitome of Average Joe who makes an average living. I give to charity because I feel it’s right, and unless in a conversation such as this I would never talk about it openly. I am not an exceptional human in any way, so I choose to believe that most give because they want to.
I presume if they feel that way they actually wouldn't give because they are generous. If CEOs feel they deserve their multimillion paycheck.
Compensation nowadays isn't actually correlated to actual ability (the ability to get compensation, obviously, but not to other things). It is just like the olden days of kings, and more recently feudal lords. Are they worth a million times more than a peasant?

Many CEOs fail, yet get handsomely compensated. And go to another company and fail. Yet they keep getting hired? Why? Maybe cause they are royalty, just like royalty of yore.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: Curb Your Enthusiasm, Fraggle Rock
Originally Posted by 5mm

I wouldn’t use the term “ status-chaser”, because there a a lot of extra benefits by flying flex for FF’s. But basic/standard fares only really exist because of the small pitch in Y. If seat pitch/ service went back to 1980 standards, you would most likely paying 2 to 3 x the current prices. There’s no way you would find seats to Europe under $400(One Way) out of Saskatoon like you can today.
Call it what you want. Lowest PY isn't a "very little increase in price" from Standard Y and Flexible PY isn't a "very little increase in price" from Flex Y or Latitude Y.

ETA - well, that's not quite true of Latitude Y, but now we're talking $1000-2000 fares for what goes for a few hundred in Standard Y.

Last edited by Norcanair; Aug 9, 2019 at 7:22 pm
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Based on every interview I have read I don't like Calin. But I can respect his accomplishments, and he absolutely deserves credit for the financial performance of AC since he's been at the helm. The board and the shareholders must love him, and he deserves everything he can get.

But don't mistake financial performance, share price or company valuation for customer or brand loyalty. Air Canada operates in what amounts to a duopolistic environment, and pretty much a monopoly when it comes to business travel, for Canadians. And they've had this position sheltered by the Canadian government. They haven't built this success based on excellent service or performance i.e the Air Canada brand, they've built it based on optimizing around cost reduction. Maximize time in the air, reduce staff and crew, cram as many people in to the plane as possible and then try and market Signature Class as a differentiation at the top end so some people will pay for it.

But between a miserable experience in Y, no staff at the airport or answering the phones, and seats that can't stay inflated in J ... let's just say that if WS joined an alliance and developed in to a real competitor outside of domestic & leisure routes, or if the ME3 were ever allowed unfettered access to this market, that I doubt the average consumer or the average frequent flyer would be so "bought in".

I like a lot of what you wrote, but take issue with the bolded part. IME AC is objectively terrible a lot of the time before I board their planes. Excellent ground staff are few and far between, but once onboard, barring a deflated seat, they’re a more-than-competent airline. Still, the “excellent airline from a financial perspective” is precisely why Calin has been able to earn the kind of pay he’s getting.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by ffsim
I like a lot of what you wrote, but take issue with the bolded part. IME AC is objectively terrible a lot of the time before I board their planes. Excellent ground staff are few and far between, but once onboard, barring a deflated seat, they’re a more-than-competent airline. Still, the “excellent airline from a financial perspective” is precisely why Calin has been able to earn the kind of pay he’s getting.
I enjoy my interactions with most of the ground staff and aircrew that I interact with while flying AC. I'm sure my having status helps their demeanor sometimes. Sure, there is an occasional unpleasant one but that is fairly uncommon in my experience, and the worst I see on most trips is neutral. I don't take issue with the employees, I take issue with the cost cutting at the company that puts so few of them in the airport or on the plane. Again, I understand why they do it from a financial perspective - run as lean as possible, reduce costs, money goes back to the shareholders.

But that cost cutting makes life more unpleasant for the average AC employee and certainly for the travelling public. For example, when I'm trying to ask the gate agent boarding a YYZ-YOW something and they're a bit snippy, am I mad at them or should I be mad at the fact that there is supposed to be two GAs boarding an E190 but today she's doing it solo because of reasons that amount to AC having too few GAs on duty? I can at least call the concierge line for a bunch of stuff, where they are usually great, but that isn't available to most people, or even to myself every year. When I walk past the service desk in YYZ D when I am going up the escalator to the sterile corridor, and I see 20 people in line and one or two agents working, I can just imagine all the goodwill that is being built up between the pissed off pax and the harried AC employees.

I get the airline business is unpredictable, with geopolitical events, oil prices, weather and fickle pax all playing a major part in what a particular quarter looks like. And thus running lean to handle this makes sense. But from my vantage point as a frequent flier I'd like to think there is a middle ground between $57M stock option exercise events for the CEO and boarding a plane that has not been cleaned with one gate agent.
Symmetre, 24left and DNAwizard like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
But that cost cutting makes life more unpleasant for the average AC employee and certainly for the travelling public. For example, when I'm trying to ask the gate agent boarding a YYZ-YOW something and they're a bit snippy, am I mad at them or should I be mad at the fact that there is supposed to be two GAs boarding an E190 but today she's doing it solo because of reasons that amount to AC having too few GAs on duty? I can at least call the concierge line for a bunch of stuff, where they are usually great, but that isn't available to most people, or even to myself every year. When I walk past the service desk in YYZ D when I am going up the escalator to the sterile corridor, and I see 20 people in line and one or two agents working, I can just imagine all the goodwill that is being built up between the pissed off pax and the harried AC employees.
Absolutely valid points and observations, all of them ^
Old Aug 10, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Sure, I'm SE too, and I love the concierge. But what percentage of the flying public are we? That is irrelevant to the general public, and even to most frequent fliers, who make up the vast majority of people flying and thus the majority of the revenue.

And the general public pay rock bottom fares and get service commiserate with the fares they pay. Basic fare = basic service.

Go ahead - what airlines? I'd argue that for customers with status that are loyal to an airline, the service they receive at some of these other carriers isn't that much better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.