Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Denied boarding for not having eTA. Any recourse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied boarding for not having eTA. Any recourse?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by ellylex
I was contacted by a friend to help with the following situation if possible.
<snip>
But I am raising few questions:
1. why was she allowed to board the first segment of the ticket if the destination was Canada and she did not have proper documentation to begin with?
2. Why didn't AirCanada agents try to assist in filling out the ETA form at the airport if the approval could have been potentially granted in minutes? ( I do understand that not everyone gets immediate approval, but that chance wasn't given/taken). I also understand that agents are not obligated to assist in this matter, but on human level they could have - given that their partner LOT made a mistake.
3. Please advise which of the 3 companies has legal obligation in this situation?
Some thoughts then answers... I am amazed that this isn't a daily occurence at airports. With infrequent travellers buying from online websites, I've got to believe that more than a few per day forget to get their ETA ahead of time. I'm assuming that when she checked in a WAW she was given boarding passes for both flights, so would have assumed that all was in order until she had tried to board the flight from BUD-YYZ, by which time it was very late in the game. You indicate that she doesn't speak English. I'm going to also assume that she doesn't speak Hungarian.
Now was to your questions...
1. She should not have been allowed to board in WAW - so LOT screwed up the checkin, though I'm not confident they are legally responsible - they likely would be responsible for returning her ot WAW.
2. BUD is a rouge outpost that would not be handled by AC personnel at the check-in counter or at the gate. They would be local Hungarians doing what the computer tells them to do. They may not know what an ETA is and how to apply for it - they just know she doesn't have the required documents. If the OP's friend speaks neither English nor Hungarian, helping her with a non-standard problem like this would be a challenge at the best of times, let alone in the middle of the boarding process. Is this exemplary customer service? Not even close, but from the reaction on this board, I don't think too many of us are surprised.
3. LOT may have an obligation to get her home, but that's about it.

If I were your friend, I would apply for the ETA, call AC's call centre and explain what happened and ask as a goodwill gesture whether they would be willing ot honour the ticket for the next available departure. They are under no obligation to do so - this is a case where pleading for some human kindness is likely to be more effective than threatening legal action.
ffsim and jc94 like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, Delta, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by nancypants
2) the linked site is for ESTAs which are issued for the US

i’m struggling to understand what your involvement in all of this is. Initially I thought you may be an immigration lawyer of some kind but then I realised you’re here on Flyertalk asking amateurish questions. I appreciate you might not want to tell us your involvement but I don’t really see how any of this is helping anyone
sorry, made a mistake which site I copied from my history. Regardless, I read conflicting info about ETA. The treshhold is not clear. I made an assumption that ETA form could have been filled at the airport and people here confirmed it.

I am an Immigration lawyer???!!!! That is a very strange conclusion You made. It faaar more obvious - but You do not need to struggle with it.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 24left
@ellylex

It is really unfortunate that your friend was allowed to board the first flight.
An hour ago I decided to see how that form is designed and how much time it would take to fill it in. I have to say, in my opinion, it is very poorly designed. The first pages one has to seek where the continue button is.
But regardless, the passenger did not even understand where and how to apply for it to begin with.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Check the fare rules too. The ticket might be one that requires that it be flown exactly as ticketed or it loses all value, or fare rules could permit changes upon payment of a fee in the $200-500 range. It would help to know this before calling to request the change. It could also be important not to have been marked as a no show rather than someone who was denied boarding for the TATL segment.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:14 pm

Wait a second! So it is the machine that checks whether passenger has ETA NOT a human being?

PS As I have stated above - I never heard of this requirement before a month ago. And today I found out that US also has similar requirement. That is why I am trying to understand the process.
I also once again checked two sites - where one states that ETA should be submitted at least 72 hours before departure whereas another site doesn't mention this "rule".
https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

so to be honest, the instructions are indeed confusing. At first I came across 72 hour rule. Yesterday, I started to read more about it and 72hr "rule" turned into recommendation. Which one is true - is still unclear to me.
The ESTA has been in place for years. If you Google ESTA you will find articles on it. Just because you have not heard of it does not men it does not exists.
milski, nancypants and RangerNS like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: QF WP

I do know absolutely opposite cases when passengers were denied boarding at the departure point because agents thought that there is not enough documentation while there was. Passengers were flying via two European countries to the US, one of which was UK and agents decided to deny boarding at the departure point because they thought that passengers might stay in UK w/o visa! This was absolutely absurd instance which I could have assisted and resolved if I had been contacted from the airport.
It is this quote that confused me- the suggestion seemed to be you are on call to assist with immigration matters occurring at airports, as a result of your apparent special skill in the area

yes in hindsight this was a mistake on my part...
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: AC 75K
I doubt it - I do not know. Logically, if she wasn't allowed to board then she was stopped at the check-in counter. Or I am mistaken?
Maybe you should collect all the facts before you start your campaign for compensation. If she wasn’t checked all the way through to YYZ in WAW then LOT would have no reason to check for an ETA. It remains to be seen if they would check anyway since they weren’t the carrier taking the pax to YYZ.

Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by danielonn
The ESTA has been in place for years. If you Google ESTA you will find articles on it. Just because you have not heard of it does not men it does not exists.
So what? ESTA is for USA. OP's "friend" was trying to enter CANADA, which is a different country.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Check the fare rules too...
the ticket is nonrefundable and lost its value. I spoke with AirCanada yesterday, they stated it was "a no show" on their end. The agent after an hour of conversation seemed willing to help but his colleague with whom agent consulted - declined. So I wrote to Customer relations.

To me it is important to know the correct answer to my first question. Did LOT make a mistake or not? If they did not - then I do not have any arguments, if they did - then I do have the grounds for argument.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
An hour ago I decided to see how that form is designed and how much time it would take to fill it in. I have to say, in my opinion, it is very poorly designed. The first pages one has to seek where the continue button is.
But regardless, the passenger did not even understand where and how to apply for it to begin with.
It is unfortunate your friend did not know to ask, or no one told her, or she didn't check the various sources.
It also doesn't matter if it's poorly designed. That may be although I found the link from the Air Canada main page to the ETA page to the Canadian government pages fairly simple to follow and there are even links in multiple languages (including Polish).

There is also a page with info on applying with a video (and a link to the YouTube version)

Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nancypants

It is this quote that confused me- the suggestion seemed to be you are on call to assist with immigration matters occurring at airports, as a result of your apparent special skill in the area

yes in hindsight this was a mistake on my part...
Oh, I see. No, if I was contacted - I would have immediately googled and tried to fill in that form. I do not have any special skill - i am a regular person and passenger with common sense.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
the ticket is nonrefundable and lost its value. I spoke with AirCanada yesterday, they stated it was "a no show" on their end. The agent after an hour of conversation seemed willing to help but his colleague with whom agent consulted - declined. So I wrote to Customer relations.

To me it is important to know the correct answer to my first question. Did LOT make a mistake or not? If they did not - then I do not have any arguments, if they did - then I do have the grounds for argument.
Any argument that you may have with LOT is with LOT, not AC. Many PAX would be delighted to get partway through their travel. Apparently, pick your poison, I guess.

Ultimately the only relevant fact is your friend did not have authorization to enter Canada, and Air Canada has an obligation to verify that before flying her to Canada.

I appreciate there may be language issues at the acute critical time. But not asking the question "how can I cross international boarders successfully?" seems a question that transcends language concerns, and asked long before standing at the gate.

Your friend tried to sneak across international boarders, period.

That the airlines are not well equipped to deal with recovering from that isn't surprising, or anywhere in the top dozen customer service areas they should focus on.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.

Last edited by RangerNS; Jul 7, 2019 at 1:50 pm
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Wait a second! So it is the machine that checks whether passenger has ETA NOT a human being?

PS As I have stated above - I never heard of this requirement before a month ago. And today I found out that US also has similar requirement. That is why I am trying to understand the process.
I also once again checked two sites - where one states that ETA should be submitted at least 72 hours before departure whereas another site doesn't mention this "rule".
https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/
I am a bit surprised that someone on FT since 2004 would be totally unaware of the US requirement.. The Canadian one I can see not knowing since Canada is a smaller market than the USA.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Any argument that you may have with LOT is with LOT, not AC. Many pax
I was under impression that any issues should be resolved with the airline that issued the ticket. On the credit card statement, even though it was purchased via agency - the charge is from AirCanada.
Correct me if I am wrong.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: AC 25K, Aeroplan Amex Reserve
The passenger HAD to show passport because she is not a citizen of Schengen countries.
I flew from TLL to ARN on SAS last week. Self check in and no passport at the gate, and I’m a Canadian citizen.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.