FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Newb Question - Rewards Flight with 2 night layover? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1975546-newb-question-rewards-flight-2-night-layover.html)

Toddcan Jun 25, 2019 10:24 am

Newb Question - Rewards Flight with 2 night layover?

I know this is well known to veterans, and that I'd get a quick, accurate answer here.

I'm flying YYZ-ORD-HNL, all same day flights booked with Aeroplan. All business class, if that matters. YYZ-ORD is on AC, and ORD-HNL is on UA.
I'd like to stay 2 nights on a layover in Chicago.

Doable? any restrictions? If this is a go, we would be flying out this Sunday instead of Tuesday.

I appreciate the feedback. I'm just about to call AP to make the change, but wanted to check here for any cautions first.

Cheers!

ChrisA330 Jun 25, 2019 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Toddcan (Post 31238238)
I know this is well known to veterans, and that I'd get a quick, accurate answer here.

I'm flying YYZ-ORD-HNL, all same day flights booked with Aeroplan. All business class, if that matters. YYZ-ORD is on AC, and ORD-HNL is on UA.
I'd like to stay 2 nights on a layover in Chicago.

Doable? any restrictions? If this is a go, we would be flying out this Sunday instead of Tuesday.

I appreciate the feedback. I'm just about to call AP to make the change, but wanted to check here for any cautions first.

Cheers!

Yes, you're allowed 1 stopover in addition to your point of turnaround (which is HNL).

28.2. Between Canada/Cont. USA and Hawaii/Puerto Rico/Mexico/Central America/Caribbean:

28.2.1. Rule for rewards containing only Air Canada flight: Two stopovers are permitted in addition to the point of turnaround. One open jaw is permitted in lieu of one stopover.

28.2.2. Rule for rewards containing a minimum of one flight on a Star Alliance partner other than Air Canada: One stopover is permitted in addition to the point of turnaround. One open jaw is permitted in addition to the one stopover.

https://www.aeroplan.com/terms_and_conditions.do

Toddcan Jun 25, 2019 10:46 am

Hmm, I just got off the phone, and she said it's not allowed. It's a one way flight, and I'm not allowed more than 24 hours in the layover... hmmm.

I could book an extra ticket to ORD for 30k miles (in business), which isn't a bad deal for a weekend in Chicago. but, I just checked, and the fees are $245... ugh!!

ChrisA330 Jun 25, 2019 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Toddcan (Post 31238345)
Hmm, I just got off the phone, and she said it's not allowed. It's a one way flight, and I'm not allowed more than 24 hours in the layover... hmmm.

I could book an extra ticket to ORD for 30k miles (in business), which isn't a bad deal for a weekend in Chicago. but, I just checked, and the fees are $245... ugh!!

Oh sorry - didn't realize it was just a one way flight. The agent is correct, nothing more than a 24 hour connection is allowed for a one way.

craigthemif Jun 29, 2019 8:07 am

The OP's terminology is wrong, which may be part of the problem.

A layover is less than 24 hours in transit. A stopover is 24+ hours.

You are not allowed a stopover on one-way rewards.

Stranger Jun 29, 2019 8:26 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 31251801)
The OP's terminology is wrong, which may be part of the problem.

A layover is less than 24 hours in transit. A stopover is 24+ hours.

You are not allowed a stopover on one-way rewards.

I would avoid the word layover alltogether. For international destinations, less than 24 hours is a connection. Over 24 hours, it's a stopover. Domestic/NA limit is 4 hours instead of 24. Not sure where Hawaii fits. And as already mentioned, no stopovers for one way awards.