Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Newb Question - Rewards Flight with 2 night layover?

Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:24 am
Original Poster

I know this is well known to veterans, and that I'd get a quick, accurate answer here.

I'm flying YYZ-ORD-HNL, all same day flights booked with Aeroplan. All business class, if that matters. YYZ-ORD is on AC, and ORD-HNL is on UA.
I'd like to stay 2 nights on a layover in Chicago.

Doable? any restrictions? If this is a go, we would be flying out this Sunday instead of Tuesday.

I appreciate the feedback. I'm just about to call AP to make the change, but wanted to check here for any cautions first.

Cheers!
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Toddcan
I know this is well known to veterans, and that I'd get a quick, accurate answer here.

I'm flying YYZ-ORD-HNL, all same day flights booked with Aeroplan. All business class, if that matters. YYZ-ORD is on AC, and ORD-HNL is on UA.
I'd like to stay 2 nights on a layover in Chicago.

Doable? any restrictions? If this is a go, we would be flying out this Sunday instead of Tuesday.

I appreciate the feedback. I'm just about to call AP to make the change, but wanted to check here for any cautions first.

Cheers!
Yes, you're allowed 1 stopover in addition to your point of turnaround (which is HNL).

28.2. Between Canada/Cont. USA and Hawaii/Puerto Rico/Mexico/Central America/Caribbean:

28.2.1. Rule for rewards containing only Air Canada flight: Two stopovers are permitted in addition to the point of turnaround. One open jaw is permitted in lieu of one stopover.

28.2.2. Rule for rewards containing a minimum of one flight on a Star Alliance partner other than Air Canada: One stopover is permitted in addition to the point of turnaround. One open jaw is permitted in addition to the one stopover.

https://www.aeroplan.com/terms_and_conditions.do
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Hmm, I just got off the phone, and she said it's not allowed. It's a one way flight, and I'm not allowed more than 24 hours in the layover... hmmm.

I could book an extra ticket to ORD for 30k miles (in business), which isn't a bad deal for a weekend in Chicago. but, I just checked, and the fees are $245... ugh!!
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Toddcan
Hmm, I just got off the phone, and she said it's not allowed. It's a one way flight, and I'm not allowed more than 24 hours in the layover... hmmm.

I could book an extra ticket to ORD for 30k miles (in business), which isn't a bad deal for a weekend in Chicago. but, I just checked, and the fees are $245... ugh!!
Oh sorry - didn't realize it was just a one way flight. The agent is correct, nothing more than a 24 hour connection is allowed for a one way.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The OP's terminology is wrong, which may be part of the problem.

A layover is less than 24 hours in transit. A stopover is 24+ hours.

You are not allowed a stopover on one-way rewards.
skybluesea and canadiancow like this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craigthemif
The OP's terminology is wrong, which may be part of the problem.

A layover is less than 24 hours in transit. A stopover is 24+ hours.

You are not allowed a stopover on one-way rewards.
I would avoid the word layover alltogether. For international destinations, less than 24 hours is a connection. Over 24 hours, it's a stopover. Domestic/NA limit is 4 hours instead of 24. Not sure where Hawaii fits. And as already mentioned, no stopovers for one way awards.
skybluesea and canadiancow like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.