Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

70 minute connection in Toronto flying from DC to Vancouver enough?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

70 minute connection in Toronto flying from DC to Vancouver enough?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by YEG USER
Maybe I’m missing something, but to those who have been recommending the purchase of On My Way, my question is why?

If the OP misses their connecting flight, how would On My Way be of use? There is a later AC flight the OP can catch, and even that is possibly too late to make it to cruise ship on time.

The other option is WS, however I highly doubt that if the inbound flight is late enough to misconnect that there will be sufficient time to get rebooked on WS, claim baggage from AC (remember it was checked through so they’ll have to find it, etc.), switch terminals, check in with WS, clear security, and then catch flight any faster than being put on the next AC flight. This also assumes there will even be enough seats in the WS flight.

I acknowledge that there is a possibility that the next AC flight might not have enough seats and that WS flight could have availability, but I think on a practical level no matter what happens I think OP will be “up the creek” if they misconnect. OMW can be beneficial in some cases, but IMHO this isn’t one of them. OP has a firm deadline to meet and is essentially on the latest flight option already. In this case I think OMW would be a waste of money but YMMV.
If nothing else OMW has a dedicated phone line which is very useful for many especially non SE (or statusless) in Y. Also opens up more options, like you can get into a flight at JxY0 where x>0 I believe... OMW is basically paying AC to treat you like a human (Europe rules) or maybe SE.

Just my $0.02.
arf04 and OSSYULYYZ like this.

Last edited by jc94; Jun 2, 2019 at 2:20 pm
Old Jun 1, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by jc94
If nothing else OMW has a dedicated phone line which is very useless
Do you mean useful, rather than useless?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

I had to wait 24-hours to respond after the initial 5 posts, so apologize for the delayed response!

I appreciate all of the feedback. Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to this.

I spoke with Air Canada again and brought up many of these issues. Of course, their response is not to worry, we will make the connection.

The baggage should check through, so hopefully that eliminates a bottleneck.

There are two flights following ours at 9:30a and 10a respectively that would get us there on time.

However, both of these flights are completely full; there are 6 or less first class spaces available on each flight. As we are economy, we are not eligible for first class, and were told that we would have to fly standby with the hope they could reseat existing passengers so we could stay together as a family, in some fashion.

There is one flight the day prior into Toronto, which is full, with only a few business class seats or higher available. We would have to fly standby with no guarantee as they won’t upgrade our class, and doing so as a price upgrade is prohibitively expensive, more so than a new flight into YVR. I can’t cancel one portion as they are on the same ticket.

At this point, I don’t see any other options aside from sticking to our current plan and hoping for the best.

Retrospectively, I would not have chosen this setup, but our travel agent explained to us, having never traveled in Canada, that we would go through Customs at our final destination in Vancouver.

Seeing as our current flight was scheduled to land by 10:30AM, and our port check-in time is 2:30, I did not think this would be the issue that it is given the 25 minute tram ride between the two.

Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Km814

Retrospectively, I would not have chosen this setup, but our travel agent explained to us, having never traveled in Canada, that we would go through Customs at our final destination in Vancouver.

Did your agent tell you this on April 1?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:04 pm

I had to wait 24-hours to respond after the initial 5 posts, so apologize for the delayed response!

I appreciate all of the feedback. Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to this.
I forgot to post earlier, welcome to FT!

Good luck with your trip. You should be ok if your flights are on time. Last year I did Int’l to domestic at yyz in about 35 min with 2 small kids, even with a lineup at OSS customs, but I didn’t have concerns about taking a cruise afterwards. I wouldn’t have taken this gamble, but it is one that could easily pay off.

If you provide your exact date, people may be able to provide better suggestions than what have been offered thus far as several people here have access to information the average passenger wouldn’t. Keep an eye out for weather travel advisories, they may be your key to making a free change to your route/time/etc.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Its a big no no to fly in on the day of the cruise. (Unless you are booked with the cruiseline - who will get u to the next port free of charge)
Eat the change fee and go the night before.Its not worth saving the change fee but actually miss the flight.
And lets be honest, AC's OTP is in the toilet here vs other US main 3 carriers.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:50 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Its a big no no to fly in on the day of the cruise.
According to who? Thousands of people depart various cruise ports on a daily basis, and many, if not most of them arrive at the airport the day they sail.
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
Eat the change fee and go the night before.Its not worth saving the change fee but actually miss the flight.
It helps to read what the OP posted - only an hour prior to your post: "There is one flight the day prior into Toronto, which is full, with only a few business class seats or higher available." There is no "go the night before" option.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:25 am

Did you buy the air ticket through the cruise line?
Some cruise line, e.g., Princess EZAir, offers protection to get you onboard if you have bought through therm.
On the other hand, my recent ZRH-YYZ flight on AC was held at ZRH for 2.25 hours waiting for connecting passengers from another delayed flight. So there is a chance that AC may hold the YYZ-YVR flight for you. It all depends who's working at AC that morning.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
According to who? Thousands of people depart various cruise ports on a daily basis, and many, if not most of them arrive at the airport the day they sail.
According to me. As a TA for 20+ years I've never recommended flying in the day of embarkation because of the inherent risks of literally missing the boat. The possibility of being unable to board at the next port exists as was pointed out in post 14. I'd recommend OP try and find another way to arrive before embarkation day even if that means an alternate routing and change fees.

It's unfortunate your TA didn't highlight the risks of flying in on day of embarkation and offer alternatives so you could've made a more informed decision rather than be in the spot you're in but I would really recommend avoiding the 70 min. connection at YYZ as beyond airline delays there are a host of other issues which may pop-up including but not limited to red alerts for lightning, delays at security/customs, or even airline problems with its IT as happened in recent days.
etkuo, Twickenham, ffsim and 6 others like this.

Last edited by tcook052; Jun 2, 2019 at 7:57 am
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:55 am

There are two flights following ours at 9:30a and 10a respectively that would get us there on time.

However, both of these flights are completely full; there are 6 or less first class spaces available on each flight. As we are economy, we are not eligible for first class, and were told that we would have to fly standby with the hope they could reseat existing passengers so we could stay together as a family, in some fashion.
If you miss your connecting flight you need to stop thinking about sitting together. You could clear standby told to board and take whatever empty seat is available. That could mean 4 middle seats. Plane is waiting to push back. If you can't handle that the airline will just move down the standby list. You need to be prepared to completely split up. 2 of you fly on the 9:30a flight and hope 2 can make it on the 10a. I wouldn't do it unless you had confirmed seats on the 10a.

People in this thread are trying to help you. What date? What is your cruise line and itinerary. People are saying you can't embark at your first. port. That's true if you have a one way cruise. Most years there are some cruises that are round trip from Vancouver.

You're flying in the day of the cruise, you have s short connection and no later flights available if you misconnect.

You're hearing a lot of doom and gloom. You'll probably be OK. You meet the MCT, that means the airline thinks, most days, you'll make your connection. Try to get seats near the front of the plane. Find out what route you have to follow in the airport in order to connect. Be ready to move.

JMO, same day flights are never a great idea but a passenger flying from NY to Miami is booking a N/S flight and has many alternate flights available.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Very interested in your source for the data showing "most" arrive at the cruise departure airport day of sailing. Source please.
arf04 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Clipper801
Did you buy the air ticket through the cruise line?
So there is a chance that AC may hold the YYZ-YVR flight for you. It all depends who's working at AC that morning.
Pretty unlikely that AC will hold the YYZ-YVR flight given that this is a flight with 13-14 departures a day. They might hold a flight to wait for connecting passenger if the later flight is a daily flight and there are a large amount of misconnections that would result in an overnight stay.

Just wanted to set the expectations right for the OP.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by mapleg
Very interested in your source for the data showing "most" arrive at the cruise departure airport day of sailing. Source please.
I'm not the poster who gave that information but I've read it. It's probably true but misleading. Many people book cruise air. Cruise lines generally book same day. A significant number of cruises leave from Florida. Book and early non-stop flight from the NE and you have many alternate flights. Still not a great idea but..most can mean 51%.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
Originally Posted by lewisc
You're hearing a lot of doom and gloom. You'll probably be OK. You meet the MCT, that means the airline thinks, most days, you'll make your connection. Try to get seats near the front of the plane. Find out what route you have to follow in the airport in order to connect. Be ready to move.
This was my POV as I caught up on this thread...granted the OP asked for opinion, and friends as well as FTer's are saying it's not the best travel option. But what's done is done and it sounds like there is now no other affordable option to the OP.

So these are the suggestions assuming flights are on time (similar to what's already mentioned by others):
- Pay to be able to sit near the front as much as possible to expedite exiting the plane
- Read up on OSS and what that entails and ensure all documents are ready to be shown / scanned (not sure if you have to prefill any forms anymore (I think it's now a form you fill out at the machine), and familiarize yourself with the questions / have addresses / cruise details ready to fill in.)
- Study YYZ airport map to know where you have to go after OSS and how to get to domestic gates
- You had mentioned taking the train from YVR to the port...familiarize yourself with Skytrain details, and directions for the station at YVR. Have the right $ ready for fares.

Take all necessary preparations possible to optimize the connections (YYZ connection as well as YVR to cruise port)! Good luck!
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by tcook052
According to me. As a TA for 20+ years I've never recommended flying in the day of embarkation because of the inherent risks of literally missing the boat. The possibility of being unable to board at the next port exists as was pointed out in post 14. I'd recommend OP try and find another way to arrive before embarkation day even if that means an alternate routing and change fees.

It's unfortunate your TA didn't highlight the risks of flying in on day of embarkation and offer alternatives so you could've made a more informed decision rather than be in the spot you're in but I would really recommend avoiding the 70 min. connection at YYZ as beyond airline delays there are a host of other issues which may pop-up including but not limited to red alerts for lightning, delays at security/customs, or even airline problems with its IT as happened in recent days.
If OPs TA told them they would clear customs in Vancouver, I wonder if it might be on them to do the right thing?

For the standard recommendation of "the day before", combined with the meta question:

"Is X minutes long enough to connect at Y, from A->B?"
the answer is always the same
"Yes, if they sold it to you, its long enough and they will eventually get you to where you are going. 'Eventually' might not be good enough for your needs, they don't have a time machine and there are only so many seats and flights. If being late is critical, be it a sales call, wedding, cruise, etc, then leave earlier or take a different route."
Twickenham and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.