Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

70 minute connection in Toronto flying from DC to Vancouver enough?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

70 minute connection in Toronto flying from DC to Vancouver enough?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Alone and with NEXUS, I can't remember the last time I didn't make a 70 minute connection in YYZ. Probably 75 flights ago.
All due respect but I imagine you know YYZ better than the OP and being in J (?) also helps. Also, OP has luggage and while I imagine that’s checked through, if connection is tight and OPs luggage doesn’t make the flight that’s a whole extra bundle of fun.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jc94

All due respect but I imagine you know YYZ better than the OP and being in J (?) also helps. Also, OP has luggage and while I imagine that’s checked through, if connection is tight and OPs luggage doesn’t make the flight that’s a whole extra bundle of fun.
I wasn't responding to a comment about the OP. I was responding to an absurd comment about an individual NEXUS-carrying member without checked luggage only having a 20% chance of making it.
arf04, ffsim and jc94 like this.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Km814
The flight is in June, so we're hopefully dealing with nice weather.

Always feeling lucky; but also don't want to be stupid about this either if I can help it
I'm in Toronto, it's June tomorrow and we're all still hoping here for nice weather. It's not snowing is about all that's good so far this year.

I concur with others trying to meet a cruise same day even non-stop allows nothing for the vagaries of travel delays.
Old May 31, 2019, 10:27 pm

What time is the later flight scheduled to land? How full is the later flight? Can you book 8 seats on it?
Some questions/ideas:
  1. What date are you flying?
  2. Do you have a round trip ticket or 2 one ways?
  3. If you have a round trip ticket will the airline allow you to change it to 2 one way
  4. What is your airline's policy on same day standbys? Can you standby for an earlier flight to Toronto? Can you standby for a non stop flight to Vancouver?
  5. If the official policy is NO can the GA make an exception.
  6. Do you really need seats together? Kids old enough to ride a school bus alone are old enough to sit a few rows from a parent.
  7. Will you be checking luggage? Assume you have to take the later flight. Assume it's delayed. You may have the choice of leaving your luggage or making your ship.
  8. Make sure your cell service includes Canada. Have the emergency port number on your cell phone. You'll need to call if you're very delayed. If you're lucky a flight with cruise air passengers is delayed and the ships departure is being delayed. They may tell you to skip your luggage and explain your options. I know if passengers miss the ship at port they can sometimes ($$) get a boat to take them to the ship before it leave the harbor. I don't think that's available at embarkation but I'm not sure
Old May 31, 2019, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lewisc
What time is the later flight scheduled to land? How full is the later flight? Can you book 8 seats on it?
Some questions/ideas:
  1. What date are you flying?
  2. Do you have a round trip ticket or 2 one ways?
  3. If you have a round trip ticket will the airline allow you to change it to 2 one way
  4. What is your airline's policy on same day standbys? Can you standby for an earlier flight to Toronto? Can you standby for a non stop flight to Vancouver?
  5. If the official policy is NO can the GA make an exception.
  6. Do you really need seats together? Kids old enough to ride a school bus alone are old enough to sit a few rows from a parent.
  7. Will you be checking luggage? Assume you have to take the later flight. Assume it's delayed. You may have the choice of leaving your luggage or making your ship.
  8. Make sure your cell service includes Canada. Have the emergency port number on your cell phone. You'll need to call if you're very delayed. If you're lucky a flight with cruise air passengers is delayed and the ships departure is being delayed. They may tell you to skip your luggage and explain your options. I know if passengers miss the ship at port they can sometimes ($$) get a boat to take them to the ship before it leave the harbor. I don't think that's available at embarkation but I'm not sure
3. No
4. You can pay for anything. There is no non-stop to YVR.
5. The exception would be whether to charge or not, but OP has already stated that paying for an SDC is within their budget.
7. As was stated, yes there are bags.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 1:02 am

Maybe I’m missing something, but to those who have been recommending the purchase of On My Way, my question is why?

If the OP misses their connecting flight, how would On My Way be of use? There is a later AC flight the OP can catch, and even that is possibly too late to make it to cruise ship on time.

The other option is WS, however I highly doubt that if the inbound flight is late enough to misconnect that there will be sufficient time to get rebooked on WS, claim baggage from AC (remember it was checked through so they’ll have to find it, etc.), switch terminals, check in with WS, clear security, and then catch flight any faster than being put on the next AC flight. This also assumes there will even be enough seats in the WS flight.

I acknowledge that there is a possibility that the next AC flight might not have enough seats and that WS flight could have availability, but I think on a practical level no matter what happens I think OP will be “up the creek” if they misconnect. OMW can be beneficial in some cases, but IMHO this isn’t one of them. OP has a firm deadline to meet and is essentially on the latest flight option already. In this case I think OMW would be a waste of money but YMMV.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 1:31 am

OP. What day are you flying on? I spot checked several days in June and for each one I’ve noticed that there are actually 2 later flights YYZ-YVR that should get you to YVR in time.

Your original AC105 arrives at 10:49. Then there are:
AC185 arriving at 11:25
AC107 arriving at 11:58

3 hrs is more than enough time to get your bags in YVR and get to waterfront, but it is possible that one of those later flights is currently sold out or not operating on your travel day.

If you’re flying on a Saturday and you discover an issue prior to check in at DCA, there is a non-stop IAD-YVR on UA (AC codeshares this flight) and you could ask to switch to this flight.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:46 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
Yes, this is a bad itinerary for a must be there on time activity. I would never have done it.

Sounds like 2 adults and 2 kids? If there are irregular operations, be prepared to split up for flexibility -- i.e., one adult and one kid, each on different flights. Getting 4 seats, much less together, seems a high bar, at the last minute.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 5:20 am

I saw a non stop but didn't look close enough, it's a code share on United metal.

My point in baggage was written poorly. I meant the OP should move much of their stuff to carry on in case option is make their cruise or wait for luggage.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 5:29 am

If it were me I would cut bait now and rebook on the nonstop IAD>YVR. Maybe you will get a sympathetic agent who will waive some change fees. The stress and peace of mind will be worth it.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:35 am

I'm not familiar with on my way. Will it put the customer on top of a standby list if the next flight has a wait list?. Will it pay to ship the passengers luggage to their first port of time requires leaving the luggage behind?

Travel insurance, unless an expensive policy is bought, is likely to be of limited value. Many polices only insure missed connections if the replacement flight gets you to your destination 4,6 (or more) hours past your original flight. The OP could miss their cruise but not qualify for missed connection benfits.

Cruise air is generally not recommended for a variety of reasons. Many cruise lines will offer next port protection. They will fly you to your first port. The cruise line will either pay the fine, or decide exceptional circumstances warrants an exception. A few years ago a poster on cruise critic had a complaint. Cruise Air passengers on his flight were being flown to the first port. Regular passengers were not allowed to board at the first port, even if they agreed to pay the fine.

JMO, the biggest issue is availability on the next flight. Has the OP disclosed the date? Sounds like if he misses the connection there are 2 later flights. I think there is an earlier flight from DC to Toronto. That may be the best. If the OP booked one way tickets I'd consider throwing away the outgoing ticket and going the night before, or at least book the N/S United flight.

Last edited by lewisc; Jun 1, 2019 at 8:42 am
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
@Km814
What did you end up doing?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
If it were me I would cut bait now and rebook on the nonstop IAD>YVR. Maybe you will get a sympathetic agent who will waive some change fees. The stress and peace of mind will be worth it.
AFAIK the non-stop is only once a week (on Saturdays). We don't know the travel date. If travelling on a Tuesday, the non-stop option doesn't help.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by lewisc
I'm not familiar with on my way. Will it put the customer on top of a standby list if the next flight has a wait list?. Will it pay to ship the passengers luggage to their first port of time requires leaving the luggage behind?

Travel insurance, unless an expensive policy is bought, is likely to be of limited value. Many polices only insure missed connections if the replacement flight gets you to your destination 4,6 (or more) hours past your original flight. The OP could miss their cruise but not qualify for missed connection benfits.

Cruise air is generally not recommended for a variety of reasons. Many cruise lines will offer next port protection. They will fly you to your first port. The cruise line will either pay the fine, or decide exceptional circumstances warrants an exception. A few years ago a poster on cruise critic had a complaint. Cruise Air passengers on his flight were being flown to the first port. Regular passengers were not allowed to board at the first port, even if they agreed to pay the fine.

JMO, the biggest issue is availability on the next flight. Has the OP disclosed the date? Sounds like if he misses the connection there are 2 later flights. I think there is an earlier flight from DC to Toronto. That may be the best. If the OP booked one way tickets I'd consider throwing away the outgoing ticket and going the night before, or at least book the N/S United flight.
More information on On My Way can be found here: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...on-my-way.html

Basically if there are flight delays, etc. they'll work to put you on the first available flight to your destination, on any North American airline - and that pretty much seems to be it that would be applicable here (there are some additional benefits during an extended delay).

To catch AC105 the OP is already on the first flight from DCA to YYZ.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by YEG USER
More information on On My Way can be found here: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...on-my-way.html

Basically if there are flight delays, etc. they'll work to put you on the first available flight to your destination, on any North American airline - and that pretty much seems to be it that would be applicable here (there are some additional benefits during an extended delay).

To catch AC105 the OP is already on the first flight from DCA to YYZ.
Also, here with anecdotal experiences: Does On My Way work when things are really bad?

But yeah, OMW can't reverse time and redo things for the OP if @Km814 misses their cruise.
wrp96, OSSYULYYZ and Km814 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.