Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Am I being spiteful to AC by not cancelling non-refundable ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2019, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E

Not sure if any of you ever buy non-refundable tickets for personal travel. I often do, if the discount is deep enough. Almost never have I been unable to use them.

Question is, since you get $0 back if you can't use the tickets, should I still let AC know I am not going to? I say no. If they won't give me any kind of refund, I won't share them data that has value.

How spiteful is that?
Old May 19, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
If you cancel you can always use the value of the ticket for a year (less change fees)

So unless the ticket is <$200 and you won't fly in the next 365, you are for sure spiteing someone, but it isn't AC.
Old May 19, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Hmm, unless you bought economy basic, there is a $100 fee but you get to keep the rest of the ticket value.
Old May 19, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: *$ Green
Could also get your taxes refunded.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:02 am

Also, it may have a significant time change/cancellation in the mean time - meaning you can cancel for free.

Depending on value of ticket-as mentioned above- i would wait until 24h before flight before I cancel.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:12 am

I'd recommend checking the rules of the fare since as others have noted even with non-refundable fares, you can often get a portion of the value back. In addition, whenever the airline makes a change to the scheduled departure time, you'll usually have an option to get a full refund on the ticket (even if the ticket was Basic Economy!)

Per the AC domestic tariffs:

Schedule irregularity
(1) Definition

Schedule irregularity means any of the following:
a) Delay in scheduled departure or arrival of a Carrier’s flight
  1. b) Flight cancellation, omission of a scheduled stop, or any other delay or interruption

in the scheduled operation of a Carrier’s flight, or
  2. c) Substitution of equipment or of a different class of service, or
  3. d) Schedule changes which require rerouting of passenger at departure time of the original flight.
  1. (2) In the case of a schedule irregularity, the Carrier shall implement the provisions of this rule, unless applicable local law provides otherwise.
  2. (3) Given that passengers have a right to information on flight times and schedule changes, the Carrier will make reasonable efforts to inform passengers of delays, cancellations and scheduled changes and to the extent possible, the reason for the delay or change.
  3. (4) In the event of a scheduled irregularity, the Carrier will:
    1. d) If the passenger chooses to no longer travel or if the Carrier is unable to perform the option stated in (a) (b) or (c) above within a reasonable amount time, make involuntary refund in accordance with RULE 100 – REFUNDS (an exception to the applicability of a refund occurs where the passenger was notified of the schedule irregularity prior to the day of departure and the schedule irregularity is of 60 minutes or less
-James
Old May 19, 2019, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by WhyWhyZed
Not sure if any of you ever buy non-refundable tickets for personal travel. I often do, if the discount is deep enough. Almost never have I been unable to use them.

Question is, since you get $0 back if you can't use the tickets, should I still let AC know I am not going to? I say no. If they won't give me any kind of refund, I won't share them data that has value.

How spiteful is that?
You can hang on to your ticket as long as possible and hope for a schedule change or significant delay that would allow for a refund.
canadiancow, Bohemian1 and 5mm like this.
Old May 19, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
AC, thankfully, has very reasonable change fees, so yes, I do this all the time, and am even happy to book relatively speculative tickets in Standard to take advantage of low fares.
Old May 19, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by RangerNS
If you cancel you can always use the value of the ticket for a year (less change fees)

So unless the ticket is <$200 and you won't fly in the next 365, you are for sure spiteing someone, but it isn't AC.
It’s a year from when you bought the ticket, not from the date of the flight or date of cancelation, IIRC.
Old May 19, 2019, 5:25 pm

Also, if you're claiming reimbursement from trip cancellation insurance, you often have to provide proof to the insurer that you cancelled your ticket and got $0 back.
Old May 19, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Sopwith

It’s a year from when you bought the ticket, not from the date of the flight or date of cancelation, IIRC.
True dat. It's rare I buy a ticket more than a week out, or would get close to the expiry date.
Old May 19, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: AC E50K, FPC Platinum
On the day of it’s also worth checking to see if either your departing or arriving airport has a weather warning. In the winter it can be a significant number of airports and even if your flight is still scheduled they’ll let you cancel without penalty

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...l-outlook.html
Old May 20, 2019, 5:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
You have a ticket you can't use. Air Canada has your money. You aren't getting your money back and can't use the ticket for another flight. How is not telling them you won't use the ticket being "spiteful" to Air Canada? Having been in a similar situation what they did was give my seat to a standby passenger even though I'd checked in online.
trooper, Dover2Golf and nancypants like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Don't cancel until either:

a) there's been enough of a schedule change or delay that you can get a refund, or
b) 2 hours before departure (unless as was noted the change fee exceeds the ticket cost)

​​​​​​
Old May 20, 2019, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E
Thanks for the responses. I did say "non-refundable" but should have said "economy standard" which is basic economy.

Some are saying I could have got taxes refunded. That is interesting.

Even if it was a changeable flight, I'm not sure spending $400 to change two $500 tickets to a date/location that we probably won't want or be able to use is a good investment.

When booking for personal travel, I have saved a lot of money over the years booking these classes of fares. Knowing full well that I am taking a risk of losing the entire ticket amount. This is the first time that has happened; I am still ahead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.