Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Could AC Buy Transat? 16May19 Update: AC enters into agreement to buy Transat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Could AC Buy Transat? 16May19 Update: AC enters into agreement to buy Transat

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: AC SE
Not sure if this hit the anglo news yet but La Presse ran this interesting piece this morning.

Achat de Transat par Air Canada: le plus gros actionnaire dit non
Old May 30, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: skyteam
Originally Posted by jasdou
Not sure if this hit the anglo news yet but La Presse ran this interesting piece this morning.

Achat de Transat par Air Canada: le plus gros actionnaire dit non
here is the english translation for the article. Hmm this should be very interesting , I have my popcorn ready. https://translate.googleusercontent....uFZyH_fugaIeeA
Old May 30, 2019, 9:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Yes, interesting twist. What are the chance of AC sweetening their offer for TS?
Old May 30, 2019, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
Yes, interesting twist. What are the chance of AC sweetening their offer for TS?
The article contains the admission that Transat "has a hole in its roof" that needs to be fixed before the property can be sold for full-value.

I'd say Transat is lacking the capital financing and +ve cash-flow ability to fix the hole, which is why it is considering the sale in the first place and this is just a ploy to try to force a higher offer, which I don't see unless an alternative bidder arises after the 30-day exclusivity window expires.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Another breaking development:

A Quebec real estate developer has made a takeover offer for Transat AT Inc. worth $14 per share in cash, which is above what Air Canada has proposed.

The offer from Group Mach Inc. comes after Transat announced last month it was in exclusive talks to be acquired by Air Canada, which was proposing to pay $13 per share.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:46 am

My take of the Groupe Mach bid is that they want to get first dibs at the hotel development portfolio, and don't really care about the airline as they are not related whatsoever to tourism industry, they are a pure play real estate development firm.
It will end up as a "joint" bid between AC and Mach, AC for the airline and anything travel agency related, Mach for the piece of land in Mexico and everything else related to real estate.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Or they bid together.... and keep Transat seperate from Rouge but rebrand...

Air Canada Mainline (we charge you alot for J and you sheeps will pay...)
Air Canada Rouge (we charge you alot of sardine space and you sheeps will pay...)
Transat Mach by Air Canada (we make you think we go fast, but really you just go to our all inclusives and drink like fish so we can put our profits into more real estate...)
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I am going with the real estate group taking the hotel and real estate portfolio and Air Canada picking up the airline portion. After all, I believe AC was only interested in the airline operations. Personally, I hope AC walks away from the potential financial fiasco. Let Air Transat sink or swim with Quebec taxpayers and pension funds at risk.
ridefar likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
I think the A321 neos that TS is receiving is one of the driving forces behind this. Otherwise the wait for them is years. AC is paying around 530 million for TS. Wonder what 10 new 321 neo LR's would go for.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by yul36
I think the A321 neos that TS is receiving is one of the driving forces behind this. Otherwise the wait for them is years. AC is paying around 530 million for TS. Wonder what 10 new 321 neo LR's would go for.
Except wouldn’t AC still need to pay for the planes once they’re delivered? AFAIK Air Transat has only taken delivery of 1 neo.

I’m certainly no expert, but I’d think that if AC wanted 321neos in short order they could buy slots from others for significantly less than $520 million.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I doubt they are buying TS for aircraft orders they could easily obtain for themselves.

They want to remove competition from the market, eliminate choice, and jack up fares. Same old story with them and certainly not a surprise at all.

I'd expect that the other group actually wants to make money with the hotel/tour package side of the business.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by entropy
I doubt they are buying TS for aircraft orders they could easily obtain for themselves.

They want to remove competition from the market, eliminate choice, and jack up fares. Same old story with them and certainly not a surprise at all.

I'd expect that the other group actually wants to make money with the hotel/tour package side of the business.
Your observation about AC wanting to “jack up fares” may be true but only only in a trivial and uninteresting way. Air Transat is losing money. Lots of it. The only way for fares to go is up. They are unsustainably low. Fares go up or costs come down. And I haven’t seen anything to suggest that Transat has unreasonably high costs. So fares have to go up. If Transat had or would or could “jack up fares” then maybe they wouldn’t be in this mess in the first place.

cedric, YOWCDNFF and YVR72 like this.

Last edited by tcook052; Jun 5, 2019 at 10:24 am Reason: off topic
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
https://www.skiesmag.com/press-relea...ansat-a-t-inc/

Air Canada said on June 4 that it is in the process of finalizing its binding agreement to purchase all of the issued and outstanding shares of Transat A.T. Inc. and its combination with Air Canada to create an industry leading, Quebec-based leader in the global leisure travel industry. Air Canada announced on May 16, 2019 that it had entered into an exclusive agreement with Transat regarding the proposed transaction and that the agreement was subject to Air Canada completing a 30-day due diligence period now expected to be complete towards the end of June.

Air Canada’s acquisition will result in job creation and economic growth in Quebec, given the travel and tourism opportunities. Moreover, Air Canada has all necessary funding to complete the transaction and therefore it is not subject to financing conditions and does not require government or taxpayer assistance.

The transaction, valued at $520 million, remains subject to the finalization of definitive agreements, confirmatory due diligence, regulatory and shareholder approvals and other closing conditions usual in this type of transaction. There is no assurance that the transaction will be completed as described in this news release or at all.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
So im looking at a round trip flight for three on Air Transat for next Feb for $1800 all in. Air Canada Rouge equivalent is like $3000 to $4000.

Should I buy Air Transat ticket now?? They are non-refundable.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
So im looking at a round trip flight for three on Air Transat for next Feb for $1800 all in. Air Canada Rouge equivalent is like $3000 to $4000.

Should I buy Air Transat ticket now?? They are non-refundable.
no way the deal would close by Feb 2020 so you wouldn't get AQM/AQD/MLL/signature suite access So if $1800 was a deal,it'll still get you travel to your destination on an uncomfortable plane without lie flat seats one way or another

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.