Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Could AC Buy Transat? 16May19 Update: AC enters into agreement to buy Transat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Could AC Buy Transat? 16May19 Update: AC enters into agreement to buy Transat

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 8:22 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by Gigantor
Transat has one of the worst records in terms of service.
I know many musicians who have had their instruments (i.e. guitars) destroyed by Transat when forced to check them in.
And I know some people that prefer Transat to AC. The plural of anecdote is not data.
YUL and Twickenham like this.

Last edited by tcook052; May 16, 2019 at 9:23 am Reason: off topic
Old May 16, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Keep in mind that TS may still have some juice.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
So Rouge will now become a lot bigger and will defiantly change the vacation/package landscape if done properly. AC will get stronger with a much larger route network.

WJ will now need to expand swoop!

For low-cost carriers who are in the market or are about to get into the market, this will be interesting for them.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by YYCguy
Sorry if this has already been asked, what current routes are duplicate between AT and AC?
Royal Air Maroc?
cedric and Twickenham like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
I'm certainly not an expert, but the way I read it, it's not a purchase agreement yet. It's an exclusivity agreement to undertake 30 days of negotiations to get to a definitive agreement.

https://www.transat.com/en-CA/corpor...eleases/124223
It isn't a "definitive" purchase agreement but it is a effectively a form of purchase agreement by way of "letter of intent contemplating a transaction by which Air Canada would acquire all of the shares of Transat at a price of $13.00 per share". This just allows AC to get a full and complete look at Transat's books in confidence. Or they could do what another airline was alleged to have done a few years ago, got an exclusive look at the books and then used the weaknesses learned to sink the competitor instead of buying it. But AC would never do that (not sarcasm) as they'd probably get hammered by regulators and lawsuits if they did. There are also break fees payable in either direction depending upon circumstances, so view this as a done deal unless: (a) a much better offer comes along, (b) Transat hasn't done a good job of disclosing their true financial picture, (c) regulators block it (in which case AC pays $40M to Transat).
ChrisA330 and ffsim like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:40 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
So, what will we get:

a) The Rougification of Transat?

or

b) The Transatification of Rouge?

And what happens to poor little Sunwing?

Oh, and I think our Aeroplan flight options in 2020 could get way more 'interesting'. Or maybe that should be 'enhanced'.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:00 am

This is a very troubling development indeed! Perhaps AC will pull an IAG and shift all the Rogue routes to their Transat subsidiary so that you earn no PQMs on UA and * partners nor *A benefits. As much as I enjoy griping on Rogue, at least there was always assurance that I would have access to the MLL at YYZ and have an additional checked bag with my flight. Slowly these perks are eroding

-James
Old May 16, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: AC 35k
I suspect Transat will be merged into Rouge. Some of the newer planes might go to mainline, and depending on the age of the 333s those could go to mainline. Transat is the definition of slave ship though.

Frankly I am surprised the competition bureau will allow this. Transat overlaps Air Canada's network, and is particularly a large competitor in YUL. There is huge potential for prices to go up in the Montreal market for leisure travel if this sale goes through, and in general likely route discontinuation or reductions in frequency as Air Canada redeploys the legacy AT fleet (after retirements). I can't see AC keeping AMS or LGW in YYC, for example.
The Lev and Twickenham like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Frankly I am surprised the competition bureau will allow this. Transat overlaps Air Canada's network, and is particularly a large competitor in YUL. There is huge potential for prices to go up in the Montreal market for leisure travel if this sale goes through, and in general likely route discontinuation or reductions in frequency as Air Canada redeploys the legacy AT fleet (after retirements). I can't see AC keeping AMS or LGW in YYC, for example.
Do you honestly think AC would pull a stunt like this if WS wasn't themselves being acquired by a third party? Combine the WS acquisition with talks of WS joining SkyTeam and it's no wonder AC is leveraging these developments to grab some more of the Canadian airfare market. It remains to be seen if a merged Transat will be bad for competition. Just because a company gets acquired doesn't necessarily mean higher costs on consumers. I also welcome TS finally having somewhat respectable operations. I've purchased tickets on 3 separate occasions with TS and each time the flight had rolling delays leading to cancellation and rebooking on WS.

-James
Old May 16, 2019, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I also welcome TS finally having somewhat respectable operations. I've purchased tickets on 3 separate occasions with TS and each time the flight had rolling delays leading to cancellation and rebooking on WS.
Perhaps you've forgotten about AC's poor OTP which some would say isn't "respectable".

FWIW TS of today is a far better operation than it was a decade ago.
YUL, Admiral Ackbar and nexusCFX like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by robsaw
There are also break fees payable in either direction depending upon circumstances,(c) regulators block it (in which case AC pays $40M to Transat).
To expand, the TS break up fee to AC is $15M.

Do you honestly think AC would pull a stunt like this if WS wasn't themselves being acquired by a third party?
AC buying TS is not the same as Onex buying WS.
The former is a merger or two large Eastern Canadian operators.

The latter is just a change of ownership with the eventual strengthening of a business plan going forward.

Combine the WS acquisition with talks of WS joining SkyTeam ...
The talk of WS joining an alliance has been around since alliances started.

... tickets on 3 separate occasions with TS and each time the flight had rolling delays leading to cancellation and rebooking on WS.
Sounds like many peoples experience with AC. Without the rebooking on WS.
YUL, CZAMFlyer and nexusCFX like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Air Transat would present as a serious liability for a major airline because it is not known for either service, or quality.
Lets be perfectly honest ... increasingly, the very same thing can be said for AC.
YUL, Admiral Ackbar and SFO777 like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:42 am

As were talking about break fees, my speculation was that Onex’s intention was to lock up Westjet and just pay the break fee and cancel the deal if they couldn’t grab Transat too.

maybe AC isn’t serious, but it’s their way of driving up the cost of Onex’s potential plan to buy Transat. Or maybe AC never wanted Transat, but they’d rather take Transat so Onex doesn’t.

If AC does get Transat, what will the regulators make AC sell off? The holiday business? There will definitely be some holiday routes with a lot less competition. But I don’t expect the regulators to do a whole lot for consumers other than a few token changes.

i love speculating, heh.
Old May 16, 2019, 10:57 am

Do you honestly think AC would pull a stunt like this if WS wasn't themselves being acquired by a third party? Combine the WS acquisition with talks of WS joining SkyTeam and it's no wonder AC is leveraging these developments to grab some more of the Canadian airfare market. It remains to be seen if a merged Transat will be bad for competition. Just because a company gets acquired doesn't necessarily mean higher costs on consumers. I also welcome TS finally having somewhat respectable operations. I've purchased tickets on 3 separate occasions with TS and each time the flight had rolling delays leading to cancellation and rebooking on WS.
-James
LOL James the only way you think Canadian airlines have respectable operations is if AC buys all of them...
Old May 16, 2019, 11:00 am

It remains to be seen if a merged Transat will be bad for competition. Just because a company gets acquired doesn't necessarily mean higher costs on consumers.
It does if the combined entity controls 80% of the market. Air Transat has huge operations in Montreal, and so does Air Canada. Most of the other airlines operating are international and most are Star Alliance, which means they are all immunized against anti-trust. I can't see how prices don't go up in that market for leisure travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.