Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Refused transport because of 8.5lb dog... why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refused transport because of 8.5lb dog... why?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I suggest that you have nothing to lose with a CTA complaint. Yes, it is a bureaucratic exercise, and yes the agency can move slower than a snail on Xanax, but you have a solid case and it is your right to seek a remedy. I have read this thread since the time you first posted, and my feeling is that the GA and local management screwed up. No, the airline keeps obfuscating, delaying etc. because it has backed itself into a corner. Hopefully, the case reaches the desk of senior legal counsel and she/he says enough, let's do the right thing. I don't think Air Canada was expecting someone as restrained, calm and organized as you to keep at this. Stay the course and see it through. And with each passing month that Air Canada delays in providing fair compensation, it puts itself in a more difficult position.
Thanks everyone for the info! Submitted the complaint to CTA... we will see what happens.

What is so incredibly frustrating is that I was able to get the contact details for AC’s General Manager and Managing Director of Customer Relations. Several emails and voicemails later and they have not responded (last response was in April same day Global contacted them). And the BS of not being able to rebook me (how do they know I wouldn’t be able to find an alternate carrier? Borrow from a friend? Walmart?)

Date: April 15, 2019 at 2:26:39 PM EDT
To: XXXXXXX
Subject: Denied Boarding AC:0000XXXXX

Your case number is: CAS-xxxxxxxx

Dear Ms XXX

Thank you for your follow-up email. As mentioned in my earlier correspondence, our airport staff were concerned with the fact that your dog Whiskey was unable to stand up and turn around in the carrier. This was supported by the photographic evidence you submitted to us, and also confirmed by our Quebec City personnel.

Dogs taken in the cabin must be able to stand up and turn around in the kennel. As you may appreciate, we are unable to make an exception to this regulation. In addition, the kennel must meet the size standards for carry-on baggage. All of this information is listed on our website.

Alternate flights would not be available if you were taking Whiskey in the same carrier, for the reasons mentioned above.

We are in the process of refunding the unused ticket coupons (Quebec City to Toronto) for you and your husband, and also the "Pet in Cabin" fee.

I appreciate this opportunity to review your case.

Sincerely,

Paul K
Customer Service Manager
Customer Relations
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Blondie85

Thanks everyone for the info! Submitted the complaint to CTA... we will see what happens.

What is so incredibly frustrating is that I was able to get the contact details for AC’s General Manager and Managing Director of Customer Relations. Several emails and voicemails later and they have not responded
Do what I do and contact executives directly. I.e. C-suite level execs

but I would've done that before going public...
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mysterym
Do what I do and contact executives directly. I.e. C-suite level execs

but I would've done that before going public...
This incident occurred the evening of April 7th. By Wed April 10th I had the contact details of the executive office and had left a voicemail and sent emails (can PM you the names). The media was not involved until the weekend of April 13.

...to this day I have not received a call back nor email.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:43 am

This incident occurred the evening of April 7th. By Wed April 10th I had the contact details of the executive office and had left a voicemail and sent emails (can PM you the names). The media was not involved until the weekend of April 13.

...to this day I have not received a call back nor email.
Like I said, contact executives directly, not executive office. I have had great success over the years getting issues resolved when they know how serious I am.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Like I said, contact executives directly, not executive office. I have had great success over the years getting issues resolved when they know how serious I am.
That is exactly what I did- addressed to female individual with the title is:General Manager, Customer Relations & Executive Centre

...and a separate one to a male: Managing Director, Call Centre & Customer Relations

Will PM you the names I dont know if I’m breaking any rules by posting them. Also called and used the directory to leave them voicemails.

...I again sent them emails in early/mid May and called them again.

NO reply via email or telephone.

Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:57 am

That is exactly what I did- addressed to female individual with the title is:General Manager, Customer Relations & Executive Centre

...and a separate one to a male: Managing Director, Call Centre & Customer Relations

Will PM you the names I dont know if I’m breaking any rules by posting them. Also called and used the directory to leave them voicemails.

...I again sent them emails in early/mid May and called them again.

NO reply via email or telephone.

you dont need to pm me the names

you are missing my point

i suggested emailing or contacting one of the chief executives

general manager is not a chief executive

managing director of customer relations sounds like they are senior but they are not a chief executive and unfortunately that person did not respond

i would've contacted CEO/COO/etc
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Will PM you the names I dont know if I’m breaking any rules by posting them.
As noted in the FT Rules here posters are asked not to post names or contact information of travel company and program employees unless they hold executive management status (e.g. presidents, vice-presidents, managing directors).

tcook052
AC forum mod.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:03 pm

I guess once AC has been chastised by the media in public, they have little incentive to deal with the individual customer - unless their PR department comes up with a brilliant idea how to turn the mud on their hands into gold with the help of a nice little make good for story.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

you dont need to pm me the names

you are missing my point

i suggested emailing or contacting one of the chief executives

general manager is not a chief executive

managing director of customer relations sounds like they are senior but they are not a chief executive and unfortunately that person did not respond

i would've contacted CEO/COO/etc
Well since it’s allowed here are the contacts that I have emailed directly. They have been emailed 2-3x and I purposely sent the emails around 7pm and received “out of office” notices to keep as further evidence and to ensure email is valid. Their out of office’s even had their contact phone number which I followed up with a call the next day (left voicemails).

Lucie Guillemette
Executive Vice President and Chief Commercial Officer

Twyla Robinson
General Manager, Customer Relations & Executive Centre

Anthony Pizzolongo
Director, Customer Relations & Executive Centre

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...raphies.html#/

Edit: should also mention I contacted the last individuals first. Then emailed executive VP (before going to the media). I am not naive to expect to be contacted by her and figured I would get a response from someone lower on the food chain assigned to the task from the higher ups. The fact is, NOBODY has contacted me.

Last edited by Blondie85; Jun 12, 2019 at 12:54 pm
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
@Blondie85

You've done what you can... just wait it out and let your legal team sort it out.
You're not the first here in saying how slow AC is with things, including similar legal matters as yours, and you won't be the last, unfortunately.
mromalley and Blondie85 like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:06 pm

really shows that air canada doesnt give a crap about its customers

i probably wouldnt fly them
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

really shows that air canada doesnt give a crap about its customers

i probably wouldnt fly them
I never thought I would say that but I’m just shocked how this has been handled since April 7th.

I’ve had the usual suspect of issues that arise when you fly: delayed bags/ cancelled or delayed flights/ overbooking but have never ruled out any airline as they have always made things right within their control.

Im not looking for a payday and anything I will get back will be minimal. At least the compensation for the car rental/8 hour drive and hard cold evidence that the flight was NOT overbooked (as I believe given the events its fair as I was well within the airline’s guidelines and had everything on hand to prove that even for the most junior AC employee).

If anyone can chime in...
In regards to what has transpired from me writing to them and asking for IBD compensation/questioning if the flight was overbooked.... also factoring in when Global News contacted them and the statement they gave. Is there some reason (or previous case) where they say would confirm the flight was indeed NOT overbooked. Is that something they can acknowledge? I just find it odd that they have chosen to just ignore me or not even bother to address my allegations. Wouldn’t that just be easier? (Don’t the privacy/legal aspect of that or if that is info are allowed to volunteer?)

canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

I never thought I would say that but I’m just shocked how this has been handled since April 7th.

I’ve had the usual suspect of issues that arise when you fly: delayed bags/ cancelled or delayed flights/ overbooking but have never ruled out any airline as they have always made things right within their control.

Im not looking for a payday and anything I will get back will be minimal. At least the compensation for the car rental/8 hour drive and hard cold evidence that the flight was NOT overbooked (as I believe given the events its fair as I was well within the airline’s guidelines and had everything on hand to prove that even for the most junior AC employee).

If anyone can chime in...
In regards to what has transpired from me writing to them and asking for IBD compensation/questioning if the flight was overbooked.... also factoring in when Global News contacted them and the statement they gave. Is there some reason (or previous case) where they say would confirm the flight was indeed NOT overbooked. Is that something they can acknowledge? I just find it odd that they have chosen to just ignore me or not even bother to address my allegations. Wouldn’t that just be easier? (Don’t the privacy/legal aspect of that or if that is info are allowed to volunteer?)

Just a FYI in case you weren't aware: A run-of-the-mill IDB/VDB due to overbooking would imply that the IDB'd passenger would receive a denied boarding compensation receipt, and the subsequent compensation for the denied boarding, and then "re-accommodated" on a near-future flight. AFAIK, none of that occurred for you.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I am not surprised at all. I'm surprised they didn't ban you for aggressively lying to gate agents about your 85 pound dog who was suffering from being crammed in such a small container. They even had to get security to drag you out of the airport!

Well... the first 6 words of my reply are accurate. Maybe the next 6 as well. But who knows whether you have a security file now, and what's in it.
Blondie85 and The_Phoenix179 like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Just a FYI in case you weren't aware: A run-of-the-mill IDB/VDB due to overbooking would imply that the IDB'd passenger would receive a denied boarding compensation receipt, and the subsequent compensation for the denied boarding, and then "re-accommodated" on a near-future flight. AFAIK, none of that occurred for you.
IDB doesn't smell right. I'm sure that while the GAs are instructed to pay out as little in compensation as they can, if they have to, they aren't going to get in trouble for having to pay something out. And its not like it is their personal money.

It isn't conceivable that AC would have a policy, official or back channel, to find people with borderline dogs to not-quite-IDB to save $1000. What you got here wasn't a well thought out conspiracy, it was a run of the mill power-tripping GA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.