Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Buying Flex vs Basic Tix to get AP miles: Bad Deal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan

Hoping to confirm my calculations that paying extra for Flex tix vs Basic *just* to get the AP miles is a poor choice.

My example: Flight worth ~2500 miles, increase in price (after factoring bag fee) $49, Cost per mile = 2.2 cents <- quite high, not good value.

Does that make sense or am I missing something? I understand miles could help toward status, etc - I'm focused on accrual value here.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:19 pm

It'd totally depend on the situation. Are you meaning Standard vs. Flex, or Basic vs. Flex. Basic fares have a bunch of restrictions which make me want to steer clear regardless of mileage accumulation.

There are several factors that could come into play. In your situation at 2.2 cpm it likely isn't a good value, however there could be other routes where the cpm cost is lower and there is more value.

Another factor would be the status of the person flying the ticket. If the person is an SE and has 100% bonus, then the cpm would be 1/2 of a non-status person. There can also be bonus mile promotions on certain routes that require a minimum Flex purchase; this would also lower the cpm.

Paying extra for Flex *can" be worthwhile sometimes if looking strictly on a mileage basis, however when I look at purchasing Flex for non-status family members mileage rarely is a consideration. Typically I look at the other costs such as change fees (if likely), seat selection, baggage allowance, etc.
opentag and unclepants like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I'd be tempted to factor seat selection costs in too, which may actually bring the delta down to quite a reasonable level.
jc94 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'd be tempted to factor seat selection costs in too, which may actually bring the delta down to quite a reasonable level.
I am going to LHR on a Standard fare later this month because AC wanted $1000 more RT for Flex. So sometimes not.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
It really depends on the situation and price differential. I try to look at it as "would I be willing to pay that much as a stand-alone mileage run for those miles?" If yes, then it's worth it to buy a higher fare, because then I get the miles and don't have to spend a minute of additional time on it. But within NA, no, the amount of miles accrued based on distance is generally so small that it is almost never worth it. And with the uncertainty facing Aeroplan right now post-2020, I am not going out of my way to accrue miles I'm not sure I can burn before then.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 6:49 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
If you can purchase well enough in advance, the difference in fares cover most ancillary fees (seat selection / bags if you check one) if you're dealing with a domestic situation. Internationally, the gap is usually much higher and not as worthwhile return on investment.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If getting status does not come into play it is indeed not a good value for people with no status. But for status miles that's a very good value.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
This is key, Basic seat cost is much higher than flex thought not $1k of course. And baggage fees may factor in as well, I think Basic bag fee is $60 for TATL ... Preferred seat is $150 ($100 Standard) and some $ amount just to pick a generic seat.

Not getting Zone 6 ... Priceless?

Obviously for those with *any* status even P25 these things may vary in cost. Route / time of booking also key.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.