Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate availability in YYZ T1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
I think what interests me most is I can only recall a single gate delay at any of the other airports I traveled to (I had 30 landings elsewhere) (IAD, GSO, LGA, ORD!, STL, TPA, HOU, AUS, YVR, RIC, RDU, CLT, BKK, SYD, HKG, CGK) last year. But there were several at YYZ . . . some of those airports had multiple trips. I don't *think* it's actual gate availability except in the case of the 55 minute delay. The captain regularly says "we are waiting for a gate crew" and just that once said "we are waiting for a gate". I don't see a whole lot of people saying "oh me too" so that leads me to believe I'm just unlucky. I will see I suppose over the next few months if it continues.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by atsak
I think what interests me most is I can only recall a single gate delay at any of the other airports I traveled to (I had 30 landings elsewhere) (IAD, GSO, LGA, ORD!, STL, TPA, HOU, AUS, YVR, RIC, RDU, CLT, BKK, SYD, HKG, CGK) last year. But there were several at YYZ . . . some of those airports had multiple trips. I don't *think* it's actual gate availability except in the case of the 55 minute delay. The captain regularly says "we are waiting for a gate crew" and just that once said "we are waiting for a gate". I don't see a whole lot of people saying "oh me too" so that leads me to believe I'm just unlucky. I will see I suppose over the next few months if it continues.
You should land at EWR more :P. (LHR sometimes too).

Funny enough, I think YYZ is better than it used to be... circa 2010-2012 I felt like nearly every shorthaul I landed on at YYZ had a large gate delay, even causing me some misconnects on what were on time landings.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriot, Hilton, IHG, P25K
Originally Posted by D404

Funny enough, I think YYZ is better than it used to be... circa 2010-2012 I felt like nearly every shorthaul I landed on at YYZ had a large gate delay, even causing me some misconnects on what were on time landings.
My experience over the past two years has been about 50% of time the plane is waiting for a gate or ground crew upon landing. Delays vary from 5 or 10 minutes to almost an hour.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by D404

It is somewhat dependent on what gate you are landing at at YYZ. US-Dom short haul gates that serve Air Georgian (the ones at the far end of the terminal in the barn) are consistently terrible. Beyond belief. Pilots and FAs frequently mention it. Most other gates are merely worse than other airports.

Last edited by ridefar; Apr 1, 2019 at 7:16 am
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by ridefar
It is somewhat dependent on what gate you are landing at at YYZ. US-Dom short hauls that serve Air Georgian are consistently terrible. Beyond belief. Pilots and FAs frequently mention it. Most other gates are merely worse than other airports.
Make sense, I suppose. My flying 2010-2012 was almost entirely between Canada and the US, or vice versa, and mostly INTL nowadays.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
US-Dom short haul gates that serve Air Georgian (the ones at the far end of the terminal in the barn) are consistently terrible.
I don't know if the term is still used but at the former YYZ T2, the previous similar "barn" section at the far end was nicknamed/called "East Beach".
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:23 am
Original Poster

It is somewhat dependent on what gate you are landing at at YYZ. US-Dom short haul gates that serve Air Georgian (the ones at the far end of the terminal in the barn) are consistently terrible. Beyond belief. Pilots and FAs frequently mention it. Most other gates are merely worse than other airports.
This makes a lot of sense. A majority of my flights are short haul US-Dom flights on the CRJ's . . .
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I don't know if the term is still used but at the former YYZ T2, the previous similar "barn" section at the far end was nicknamed/called "East Beach".
Would that make the T1 counter part "South Beach"? Even though it is actually more easterly than the T2 barn.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Would that make the T1 counter part "South Beach"? Even though it is actually more easterly than the T2 barn.
If you are waiting for a gate checked bag outside there in January, no, no it would not

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.