Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Long Layover in Toronto/Elite 35K Lounge Access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold + Some other stuff!

Flying tomorrow from Kelowna (21.05) to Vancouver on AC 8423 connecting to Toronto (22.55) on AC 126 arriving at 06.15 (+1). We are then flying that night to London - Heathrow (21.30) on AC 848 arriving at 08.30 (+1). I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

1. Will Air Canada allow us to short check our bags to Toronto or will they insist that they get checked through to Heathrow?
2. When we arrive back at Toronto for our flight to London, Is it possible to clear security at the domestic gates instead of the international? I have elite 35 with Air Canada and would like to access the domestic lounge before our flight to London, will they allow me access? I will be travelling with my girlfriend but have quite a few guest passes so will be able to use one of them for her.
3. I haven't traveled through Toronto airport in quite some time. My understanding is that switching from the domestic to international gates is quite a simple process that is similar to how it works in Vancouver?
4. I have nexus however my girlfriend does not. Am I able to take her through the nexus security line with me?

Thanks for all your help.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by dixonian7
Flying tomorrow from Kelowna (21.05) to Vancouver on AC 8423 connecting to Toronto (22.55) on AC 126 arriving at 06.15 (+1). We are then flying that night to London - Heathrow (21.30) on AC 848 arriving at 08.30 (+1). I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

1. Will Air Canada allow us to short check our bags to Toronto or will they insist that they get checked through to Heathrow?
2. When we arrive back at Toronto for our flight to London, Is it possible to clear security at the domestic gates instead of the international? I have elite 35 with Air Canada and would like to access the domestic lounge before our flight to London, will they allow me access? I will be travelling with my girlfriend but have quite a few guest passes so will be able to use one of them for her.
3. I haven't traveled through Toronto airport in quite some time. My understanding is that switching from the domestic to international gates is quite a simple process that is similar to how it works in Vancouver?
4. I have nexus however my girlfriend does not. Am I able to take her through the nexus security line with me?

Thanks for all your help.
1. yes you can short check
2. I don't know. Unlikely. And DOM MLL to Intl gates is a hike. Even my well known hatred of paying for beer would have me go right to the gate and buying something there
3. Yes, but let above, a long walk.
4. No.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
little info I know:

1. If all the legs are on the same ticket, I imagine your luggage will be checked through for you unless you specifically request that it be short checked- not sure how that works.

2. Not sure, but make sure you check your guest passes- if they allow access to international MLL then screw the domestic lounge and hassle of switching from domestic to international

3. Not sure

4. Unless you can charm the person at the nexus line, I doubt they will let your girlfriend go through. I've often gone to the nexus line with my wife and they just check one of us and let us both through (but we both do have nexus in case).
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
On points 2 and 3, I have never been permitted through domestic security with a TB or INT BP. A concierge once suggested I buy a refundable ticket to get through, when I said I had a friend flying to YVR I wanted to meet.

I have also been turned back from the connection path in that situation, because I was not "connecting". Though I've since learned that they're just looking at where your BP was printed, so if you get it a different station, you're fine. And if you get it at YYZ, just say you had it reprinted, and flew in from YVR.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
little info I know:

1. If all the legs are on the same ticket, I imagine your luggage will be checked through for you unless you specifically request that it be short checked- not sure how that works.

2. Not sure, but make sure you check your guest passes- if they allow access to international MLL then screw the domestic lounge and hassle of switching from domestic to international

3. Not sure

4. Unless you can charm the person at the nexus line, I doubt they will let your girlfriend go through. I've often gone to the nexus line with my wife and they just check one of us and let us both through (but we both do have nexus in case).
2. MLL passes can only be used to access Dom and TB MLLs. I doubt you'll get through Domestic security with an international ticket. You can pay for international access from Flex or above tickets, $25-$50, each.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by canadiancow
On points 2 and 3, I have never been permitted through domestic security with a TB or INT BP. A concierge once suggested I buy a refundable ticket to get through, when I said I had a friend flying to YVR I wanted to meet.

I have also been turned back from the connection path in that situation, because I was not "connecting". Though I've since learned that they're just looking at where your BP was printed, so if you get it a different station, you're fine. And if you get it at YYZ, just say you had it reprinted, and flew in from YVR.
It should be noted that buying a refundable ticket just to use the lounge, whether via status (Y ticket) or via the ticket itself (J ticket) can cause you problems with Air Canada including but not limited to revocation of your status.

The domestic YYZ is also not that impressive.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
1. You should be able to short-check to YYZ.
2. Good question, don't know since it's never occurred to me to try. But as has been noted, it would be one heck of a walk. Not convinced a free pint is worth it.
3. Again, never tried but can't see a trip to the MLL as being worth the trouble.
4. Not a chance. The security guys check every person, if your GF doesn't have Nexus they will send her to the general line. Which, if you like sleeping indoors, means you too.

For what it's worth, there's a Plaza Premium lounge in the international departures concourse and you can buy day access for something like $30 apiece. You might think about just hanging out there instead, it would likely be a lot less fuss. Food and booze are comparable to the domestic MLL. Or just hang in the terminal and go for a pint there. The domestic MLL isn't worth going out of your way for.

Just sayin ...
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre
4. Not a chance. The security guys check every person, if your GF doesn't have Nexus they will send her to the general line. Which, if you like sleeping indoors, means you too.
Incorrect. Your GF can absolutely use the Nexus lane.

https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/trusted-travellers

Trusted Travellers include:

• members of NEXUS and Global Entryprograms;
  • currently serving members of the Canadian Armed Forces and U.S. military, including reservists, all with valid ID (no uniform required);
  • Canadian aircrew and airport workers with Restricted Area Identification Cards(RAICs);
  • international aircrew in uniform with valid airline ID; and
  • those accompanying these trusted travellers on the same flight.
yyckerr, canopus27 and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
2. If you try to go through Domestic security, your ticket is automatically flagged by the CATSA scanner. I was able to go through by explaining to the security person that I wanted to meet up with a friend who was in the domestic lounge (which was the case). I would suggest that you go to the line and try to go through by explaining that you know you are going through the wrong line but want to access the domestic MLL. the worst that happens is they turn you away.
3. It is a relatively simple process to go from domestic to international. Probably a 5-7 minute walk. The "connections" place to go to international isn't all that well marked though.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
It should be noted that buying a refundable ticket just to use the lounge, whether via status (Y ticket) or via the ticket itself (J ticket) can cause you problems with Air Canada including but not limited to revocation of your status.

The domestic YYZ is also not that impressive.
The domestic BP was just suggested for security. OP would have a different BP for actually getting into the MLL.
jc94 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by YEG USER

Incorrect. Your GF can absolutely use the Nexus lane.

https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/trusted-travellers

I sit corrected, though someone should perhaps inform the security peeps in the terminal.
arf04 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM
In regards to getting into Domestic wing the answer is a no. When they scan your BP at security your BP will be flagged invalid. I did try it once.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:39 pm

Wow I also had no idea.

Seems stupid from a "trusted" standpoint.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre
I sit corrected, though someone should perhaps inform the security peeps in the terminal.
This change was made just under 2 years ago; unfortunately some CATSA agents have no idea. I've taken advantage of this a few times when travelling with family. Recently I forgot that I'd taken my Nexus card out of my wallet and didn't put it back; fortunately I was travelling with my wife and there was no issue with both of us using the Nexus line under her card.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Wow I also had no idea.

Seems stupid from a "trusted" standpoint.
I think the intent of this was to allow TT's to bring family (children, etc.) into the line as those others might not have Nexus, etc. but was expanded to others as it is simpler to administer (i.e. screener only has to validate that both BP's are for the same flight). Not sure that this is stupid from a "trusted" standpoint; most Nexus lines I've been through domestically have the exact same security as non-Nexus, its just that the lineup is shorter and you might have a lower chance of getting a random pat-down. YYC lets you keep liquids in your bag, etc. but everything still gets screened, etc.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:18 pm

Thanks for that, YEG USER. Good info to know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.