Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Very angry with both AMEX and Air Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Very angry with both AMEX and Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Sorry this happened to you.

Out of curiousity. what did plusgrade code for a MCC ?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger
Sorry but if Amex flags a legitimate charge as fraudulent, then it is their fault. They have to take responsibility for their mistakes.
You may wish this would be true, but what are you suggesting Amex do in this instance?

The cost of Amex eating an actually fraudulent charge is measurable.
The cost of Amex being over-cautious in fraud protection also has measurable costs.
I imagine that they carefully track both sides of the ledger and try to do the best they can.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Holy cow, I wish people wouldn't blame the victim. In this situation, the purchaser. The credit card company should have known and should have verified in real time if necessary.

Similar situation for me last week. A credit card and a foreign transaction. I too lost out of limited time pricing and seats because despite 3D verification, Visa refused the charge.

I am fully aware that the credit card company is trying to avoid fraud, however I did nothing wrong and the seller is a national company.

The credit card company has my number and didn't call, the email came to me 2 days later.

Too late, I used another card. In the end, Citi blamed Visa.
mikespimpin likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
According to my pals inside Visa and MasterCard, booking flights is one of the activities that's a very common pattern in fraudulent / stolen card transactions. Kinda sucks when they promote these cards for travellers though.
I do no better than 50/50 on my intra-european itineraries going through without arguing with MasterCard, but at the same time somebody tried to use a clone of my credit card to book flights through a travel agent in Toronto and a woman I work with had her credit card used successfully for the same scam.

When it was my card it was explained to me that the scam targets ethnic online communities with advertisements for secret last-minute discounted fares, which are actually ordinary fares bought with stolen credit cards. The scammers just hope that most of their customers complete their travel before the scam is detected.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shadowfactor
Sorry this happened to you.

Out of curiousity. what did plusgrade code for a MCC ?
I'm not sure I can get an MCC because the charge was declined. It's not even showing up on my AMEX account as "Pending" right now. The first e-mail I received had this info (and was also one of those one's with a button that you can press to verify / not-verify a charge):

See attempted charge details below:

Merchant:
PLUSGRADE G P

Attempted Date:
03/06/19

Amount:
1,370.00 USD

Original Status:
Declined
Shadowfactor likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:53 am
yno

Programs: FB, Accor, Marriot
Some mention that because it is a regular company, AMEX should not flag the transaction as fraudulent. However it's a transaction that the purchaser is not used to do... A few years ago, controls were less strict, and AMEX didn't flag a purchase as fraudulent when a same day ticket was used with another flyer's name... So I personally prefer the once in a while mistake. And I guess AMEX does as well ;-)
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by mikespimpin
I specifically chose an itinerary that connects in YYZ to go to FCO that had a lot of openings up front in J. I placed a bid a couple weeks ago for the lowest bid ($685x2) and today I noticed it was accepted, however AMEX marked this charge as fraudulent. I called AC to let them know that it was an accident and AMEX wanted them to re-run the charge, but now the upgrade is not available to me and they said because I'm within the 72 hour window I cannot do the bid upgrade anymore (not to mention, just waited on hold for an hour). I'm forced now to either ride in a seat I haven't selected back in Economy, or be at the mercy of the LMU price. This is such a bummer. I would have bought a completely different itinerary if I knew I didn't have a good shot at being upgraded. Not to mention, screw AMEX. I know now that I cannot use my Plat card for charges that absolutely must go through on the first try. It wasn't even a spending power thing
They have increased their fraud protection. If it is not something you normally charge, it will be labeled as a fraud. It is for your protection. You simply have to call and tell them that those charges (in the future) are ok. All major cards are now computer protected
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Sorry but if Amex flags a legitimate charge as fraudulent, then it is their fault. They have to take responsibility for their mistakes.BTW same thing happened to me once. But for a minor, short haul leg on a European airline. And no, amex did not notify me. When I cleaned up the mess, the upgrade was gone.
stranger is "your' mistake for not letting them know before hand. It is simple. If you know you will use something, call them
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
I agree with what others have said about calling before hand and letting them know about a large charge coming in.

My last car in the UK I bought new I bought it with an AMEX purchasing card just so I could get the points for the transaction. I called them before hand and told them a large amount was about to be charged and they said they had marked it, even offered to stay on the phone.

It's annoying yes, but worth the hassle.

I actually prefer the way other airlines like COPA do it, where they pre-authorize the charge but only go through if the upgrade is successful.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by jjclancy
You may wish this would be true, but what are you suggesting Amex do in this instance?

The cost of Amex being over-cautious in fraud protection also has measurable costs.
I imagine that they carefully track both sides of the ledger and try to do the best they can.
Amex would not eat the charge. Air Canada would.
5mm likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Calling ahead to alert them is best. I’ve done it several times. Interestingly, in the last year both Mastercard and Amex have told me no longer necessarily to call in to advise about upcoming travel and/or expected foreign exchange transactions. My biggest problem with this has not been airlines but paying a foreign conference registration fee for an organization I belong to.

It is a pain when this happens but agree with others it’s for our mutual protection. A while back, used my Amex for a small purchase used it 10 min later for a $20 concert tx. Latter charge declined. Turns out someone got card info (never out of my possession) and was charging all kinds of things in Michigan. I was in California at the time. I’ve found Amex great to deal with on these sorts of things. However, loosing an upgrade because of it is tough.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Gadot
stranger is "your' mistake for not letting them know before hand. It is simple. If you know you will use something, call them
This is a ridiculous assertion. The "mistake" is obviously that a non-fraudulent charge was classified as fraudulent. Full stop.

And for everyone suggesting to call the credit card company, remember, this is essentially a bid process -- you don't know that the charge will go through until you've actually won the upgrade. There would need to be enough of a delay between Plusgrade notifying the user of a successful upgrade bid and the card getting hit with the charge in order for the user to call in and avoid a charge refusal. IME the reverse has been true; I've noticed the charge to my Amex card go through several hours before receiving an email confirmation of the upgrade.

Let's maybe stop blaming the victim here.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by ffsim
This is a ridiculous assertion. The "mistake" is obviously that a non-fraudulent charge was classified as fraudulent. Full stop.

And for everyone suggesting to call the credit card company, remember, this is essentially a bid process -- you don't know that the charge will go through until you've actually won the upgrade. There would need to be enough of a delay between Plusgrade notifying the user of a successful upgrade bid and the card getting hit with the charge in order for the user to call in and avoid a charge refusal. IME the reverse has been true; I've noticed the charge to my Amex card go through several hours before receiving an email confirmation of the upgrade.

Let's maybe stop blaming the victim here.
It’s not victim blaming. It’s understanding the challenges and constraints of credit / charge card processing and fraud mitigation and working within the limitations of the system.

It’s not perfect but I’d rather the occasional blocked charge than dealing with actual fraud and the nightmare that is.

You can absolutely notify the credit card company that a charge from “Plusgrade” is expected in a certain time window.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjclancy

Uh? That's the problem of Amex. Not the customer. It's not like they can only pay f they feel like. I think I paied for services. So I can expect them.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by yyckerr
It’s not perfect but I’d rather the occasional blocked charge than dealing with actual fraud and the nightmare that is.
What nightmare? One call to Amex: "I didn't make these charges, please mark them as fraudulent and send me a new card." While I'm all for understanding the system, I shouldn't have to jump through hoops to pay for something I want to buy. And I definitely shouldn't miss out on a perishable purchase because of some overzealous algorithm; no one should.

Originally Posted by yyckerr
You can absolutely notify the credit card company that a charge from “Plusgrade” is expected in a certain time window.
Of course you can, but then you're actually just circumventing the fraud-protection you're defending

Uh? That's the problem of Amex. Not the customer. It's not like they can only pay f they feel like. I think I paied for services. So I can expect them.
Bingo ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.