Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Why did they put such a nice A321 on Rouge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why did they put such a nice A321 on Rouge?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Stranger
Surely they should reconfigure the new ones to mainline and let the used ones go to Rouge, no?

As usual, they were too cheap to get the neo version...
Refurbishing a cabin, be it to ML or Rouge specs is not cheap, fast, or trivial. They are only going to want to do it once.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Careful...note the 'Delivered' dates in the graphs refer to when the airplane was delivered to Air Canada, not delivered new from the factory. Fin #474 , listed as delivered in Jan 2018 is a seven year old ex-Air Berlin airplane.
Correct. TF - SON (C - GHPJ) and TF - KID (C - GHPD) are 2013 builds. So not entirely new either.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: FOTSG
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Have you flown the ACr 767s? A319s? Some of them are older than the crew.
There are a number of AC birds that are older than some of the crew on board, too. Heck, there are about a dozen 320s in the fleet that are older than me!
PFT likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Careful...note the 'Delivered' dates in the graphs refer to when the airplane was delivered to Air Canada, not delivered new from the factory. Fin #474 , listed as delivered in Jan 2018 is a seven year old ex-Air Berlin airplane.
Can you post the actual manufacture dates?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by Jazzed91
There are a number of AC birds that are older than some of the crew on board, too. Heck, there are about a dozen 320s in the fleet that are older than me!
Sure, there are some old birds in the mainline fleet The original A320 from 1990 is still flying. But somehow ACr makes the old mainline planes worse. The mainline 767s seem home-y. The same interior since they were XMed in the mid-2000s, I've been flying TATLs on them for most of my career. ACr managed to keep the worst of the mainline 767s (the bins, panels) and throw away the best (the seats) and generally are crapping on my 767 nostalgia. Fortunately AC will pull the mainline 767s from YOW with their dying breath, so I can keep it going for another year or more.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by 24left
https://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/...ctive-a321.htm

Click on the MSN to see the aircraft's history, including the original delivery date and some other details. It was interesting to be reminded that AC is still using a mixed 763 fleet.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
#474 was delivered new to Air Berlin in Feb 2012. Google can tell you the age of the others.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
https://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/...ctive-a321.htm

Click on the MSN to see the aircraft's history, including the original delivery date and some other details. It was interesting to be reminded that AC is still using a mixed 763 fleet.
Cool. Thanks
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Cool. Thanks
The link included in your own post #14 provided all that information. I thought you were taking the mickey.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
If only AC Rouge hadn't been created in the first place! Terrible product. Airlines are using all these different marketing tactics in order to target customers who do not want to pay for a mainline flight. AC Rouge, WJ Swoop, etc.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by codfather
If only AC Rouge hadn't been created in the first place! Terrible product. Airlines are using all these different marketing tactics in order to target customers who do not want to pay for a mainline flight. AC Rouge, WJ Swoop, etc.
Perhaps the customers should be the ones to blame, no?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Perhaps the customers should be the ones to blame, no?
In all honesty, it is only us FTers that are whining about Rouge so much (for the most part). Most other people are happy to accept the cheaper fare for a lower quality of service. Yet they fail to realize that the fares are almost the same price regardless of whether or not it is Rouge or mainline!
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by pitz
Or line maintenance had to repair/replace something so they went to their inventory and that was all that was sitting around. Its not like AC maintains a separate stock of parts for 'new' builds vs old unless the parts are truly incompatible for reasons other than cosmetics. And if the old 1989/1990 build A320s are going to scrap in the next few years, anything that they can strip out of them serviceable will go into inventory to keep the rest of the fleet running.
Many of the interior panels/parts are different on the newer A321's than the legacy fleet so yes they would require two sets of many parts.

Surely they should reconfigure the new ones to mainline and let the used ones go to Rouge, no?

As usual, they were too cheap to get the neo version...
With both the 763 and the 321's the oldest birds were retained by AC while Rouge got the newer ones - I suspect because they intend for those aircraft to live on in the rouge fleet for a long time after the older birds are retired from mainline.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Lev

With both the 763 and the 321's the oldest birds were retained by AC while Rouge got the newer ones - I suspect because they intend for those aircraft to live on in the rouge fleet for a long time after the older birds are retired from mainline.
True that AC won't keep the 763s. However their 321s are still relatively new and I have not seen any indication that they plan to get rid of them. In contrast with their 320s which are really getting old.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by The Lev
Many of the interior panels/parts are different on the newer A321's than the legacy fleet so yes they would require two sets of many parts.

Long time, yes. As to amortizatize the rougeing over the longest possible timeframe.

The ML 320s aren't even getting a paint job this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.