Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan - does calling in open more options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:30 am
Original Poster

A quick question.... will calling into Aeroplan make a difference in terms of the available flights compared to the ones shown online? Trying to book a business class flight. Was available two days ago but plans have only been solidified yesterday and when I checked again the flight I was hoping to book was no longer available. Would calling in make a difference with respect to availability?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Not, the inventory is the same point to point.

The only time calling in helps is if you are putting together a complex route (like 3+ stops) that doesnt show up online.
I_AM_FRANK likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Not, the inventory is the same point to point.

The only time calling in helps is if you are putting together a complex route (like 3+ stops) that doesnt show up online.
I second this. I've even tried calling to Aeroplan on a few occasions in the past to test this. There's no extra availability that you don't see on the app or online. OP can always try calling and asking for peace of mind.
I_AM_FRANK likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:01 pm

I've actually had the opposite many times were availability that I see online (both aeroplan and expertflyer) could not be seen by agents. Seems to happen the most with LX.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FightorFlight

I second this. I've even tried calling to Aeroplan on a few occasions in the past to test this. There's no extra availability that you don't see on the app or online. OP can always try calling and asking for peace of mind.
That's not strictly true. CX won't show up online. One time I could see TG online, but when I called in, they couldn't see TG, but could see a CX flight leaving 10 minutes later, so it all worked out.

Also, I'm shown WAY more non-direct options on non-AC airlines when I click the IKK checkbox, which wouldn't be possible if you have no status. They aren't IKK, they just only show up in the IKK search.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Also, I'm shown WAY more non-direct options on non-AC airlines when I click the IKK checkbox, which wouldn't be possible if you have no status. They aren't IKK, they just only show up in the IKK search.
That's very interesting. I guess it's important to note that, while in most cases all the segments should be visible on AP, that doesn't mean the lousy search engine will return all those segments together as a routing option.
canadiancow and Twickenham like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have experienced situations where all segments were available individually but the combination into a single leg did not show as an option/.
Twickenham and YXELLB like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Stranger
I have experienced situations where all segments were available individually but the combination into a single leg did not show as an option/.
Ran into something similar with YVR-FRA-LNZ. Individually it was all J, but together I was only able to book YVR-FRA in J and FRA-LNZ in Y. Second segment is only a 1 hour flight, so no biggie.
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by yvr76
Ran into something similar with YVR-FRA-LNZ. Individually it was all J, but together I was only able to book YVR-FRA in J and FRA-LNZ in Y. Second segment is only a 1 hour flight, so no biggie.
If the space was there, you could call in and have them move it up for free.

I've done that when PY was available, but the site only let me book Y with another J segment, so I immediately called in to get the Y bumped to PY.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
That's not strictly true. CX won't show up online. One time I could see TG online, but when I called in, they couldn't see TG, but could see a CX flight leaving 10 minutes later, so it all worked out.

If not too much trouble, could you clarify on the abbreviations? Thx!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
CX = Cathay Pacific
TG = Thai Airways
AC = Air Canada
IKK = Air Canada 'priority reward' for Altitude members (only applicable if you have Altitude status with Air Canada)
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
My experience as well. I've seen availability on other *Alliance partners but could not be booked on Aeroplan.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Stranger
I've seen that too in searches. Mostly, it was because the search of the combination turned out to be over MPM, so not bookable together. Other times, it turned out to be the oddities of the Aeroplan search engine and an agent was able to book it.

I've also run into the opposite, coming across married segment logic on reward tickets. Wanting to go YYZ-IST-MRU, there was no availability on YYZ-IST when searching individual segments, but when searching YYZ-MRU, all of a sudden the segment was available and I booked it. I'd always developed the habit of searching segments individually, but have since learned that I need to search both individually and the complete trip in order to be sure of what's available.
YXELLB likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
When you search ZRH-YYZ, Swiss will almost never come up connecting to AC in YUL. Always AC optons, even if the TATL is in Y or PY. Understandingly as this makes most money for AC when they can take a few hundred $ from you.

Searh ZRH-YTZ - voila - all of a sudden, the LX shows up.
nexusCFX, PointWeasel and yscleo like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:07 pm

I was recently looking for SFO-WAW. The only thing that came up was SFO-IST (Y) -WAW (J).

But SFO-YYZ-LHR/MUC/etc-WAW were all bookable by calling in, all in J.

Sometimes the engine just won't show longer routings if it thinks it's given you a reasonable (and shorter) set of options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.