Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good job today AC! Jan. 28, 2019.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
31cm at YYZ. DOM security is ridiculously long for priority/Nexus (likely 50+ minutes)
I flew back to the Sunny Coast last weekend after shoveling in -17C (skied today and it was WAY too warm at 7C). I don't understand why the lines would be bigger this morning. Yes, a 'bit' more snow, but why would that change security times?

I didn't bother with priority security and had 1 person ahead of me.

To be fair, we were delayed more than 2 hours due to the cold (outside staff needed to warm up - totally fair) and multiple changes to a toilet smoke detector (less forgivable!). I didn't get the pre-emptive compensation that others have recently mentioned.

Dr. PITUK
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: Back of the bus
Originally Posted by 5mm
Along with more snow plows, sanders, etc, etc.than Winnipeg. Somehow, I feel Montreal deals with snow way better than Toronto. PS - Montreal is a major NA city.
This. Quoted for truth.

Just because you're a bigger city doesn't make it that much worse.

Toronto drivers simply don't know how to drive in Winter, let alone be smart about it. Congestion is your own fault. I have zero compassion for Toronto drivers and roads (having lived there) when compared to other cities and how the GTA handles snow falls.

Montreal does deal with snowfalls better than Toronto. Actually... most canadian cities deal with them better.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by tracon
Well it's midnight in the centre of the universe. Big snow storm today.
Lots of delays, diversions and cancellations.......
and not one complaint about it on FT.
Maybe the morning "news" will tell a different tale.
I have already seen a self entitled post on reddit about evil AC
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jazzsax
This. Quoted for truth.

Just because you're a bigger city doesn't make it that much worse.

Toronto drivers simply don't know how to drive in Winter, let alone be smart about it. Congestion is your own fault. I have zero compassion for Toronto drivers and roads (having lived there) when compared to other cities and how the GTA handles snow falls.

Montreal does deal with snowfalls better than Toronto. Actually... most canadian cities deal with them better.
I agree with this. This weeks snow resulted in major roads like DVP getting completely blocked with drivers stranded for hours. Mostly because more people in TO do not have snow tires. So the crews cannot clear the roads of snow. Anyway this is likely one of the reasons for less staff at YYZ. I was also told anecdotally that heavy snowfall or bad weather generally results in more sick days callouts by security staff and baggage handlers.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100k
Originally Posted by jazzsax
Toronto drivers simply don't know how to drive in Winter, let alone be smart about it.
Let's be honest here. Toronto drivers don't know how to drive in Spring, Summer, or Autumn either!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by vernonc
Mostly because more people in TO do not have snow tires.
Agreed. There is also overconfidence in AWD/4WD. Last week I did donuts and nearly slid into a curb turning slowly in a 4WD SUV. Then I got into my old FWD car with Blizzak tires which stopped on a dime.

I rent cars 100x a year and winter is my least favorite time to do so. (Do I want half bald rock hard summer tires, what could possibly go wrong?) I was amazed last month to see that (unlike in Toronto and Vancouver), Hertz YYC equips each of their vehicles with new snow tires.

In keeping on topic I saw that there were in fact many YYZ cancellations on Jan28. (upwards of 20% IIRC on flightaware miserymap). Maybe AC just handled things better compared to other carriers?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:26 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by expert7700
Agreed. There is also overconfidence in AWD/4WD. Last week I did donuts and nearly slid into a curb turning slowly in a 4WD SUV. Then I got into my old FWD car with Blizzak tires which stopped on a dime.

I rent cars 100x a year and winter is my least favorite time to do so. (Do I want half bald rock hard summer tires, what could possibly go wrong?) I was amazed last month to see that (unlike in Toronto and Vancouver), Hertz YYC equips each of their vehicles with new snow tires.

In keeping on topic I saw that there were in fact many YYZ cancellations on Jan28. (upwards of 20% IIRC on flightaware miserymap). Maybe AC just handled things better compared to other carriers?
I have been driving in the mountains and prairie prov. for over 40 years. Never had snow tires.Good all season work for me. Knowing how to drive and use your brakes in snow is better than snow tires.
Stranger and songsc like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 5mm
I have been driving in the mountains and prairie prov. for over 40 years. Never had snow tires.Good all season work for me. Knowing how to drive and use your brakes in snow is better than snow tires.
That's like saying "knowing how to not crash is better than wearing a seatbelt".

It's technically true, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't wear a seatbelt.
eracerblue and CZAMFlyer like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by 5mm
I had the same attitude and live in AB. I even had 4WD. Made the switch to M+S tires a few years ago. Will never run with A/S in winter again.

Winter tires are irrefutably safer.

canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
As a YVR resident I'm amused reading about people's frustration with T.O drivers in snow.

Try getting around the lower mainland when a few flakes fall. Most of these folk make Toronto drivers look like professionals.

I lived for some years up north where there was snow on the roads/ground for a solid 8 months and can honestly say I'd take an old FWD with good snow tires over a 4x4 with A/S. I can and did successfully avoid issues with either simply by not driving like an idiot and by knowing the art of brake pumping, but still, give me snow tires. I use them here in YVR even though we only see the white stuff a few times a year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.