Search

Channel 9

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: AC E50K *G - Amtrak SelectPlus
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Expected Air Canada reply:

"What is this channel thing you speak of?"
I've often gotten similar replies from UA FA's. One told me they don't do it anymore for security purposes, I insisted he ask the flight deck anyway and got a denial later. I approached the FO after the flight who said they absolutely still turn it on upon request and that the FA never forwarded my request

I do often listen to LiveATC. It's good practice to listen as I try to get my PPL
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:22 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
It really is an ex pmUA thing. I find pmCO crews are much less willing to partake / know about channel 9.

To bring this back to AC, I have been tempted to very discretly use my scanner to listen to live ATC but have not. Maybe I should. Has anyone done this?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
If AC did it, it would have to be in both official languages of Canada.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:31 am

Fear not. ATC is bilingual in Quebec and Ottawa.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:45 am

Love listening to ATC when I have time while watching Flightradar24. Sometimes I just have too much time on my hands. I also love being able to watch plane take off and land with the onboard camera, having that feature should be mandatory. I think JAL also has camera in the belly pointing straight down so you can look at the landscape during cruising.

Not sure what's involved in getting Channel 9 but I doubt AC will do it.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I've always liked the cameras to watch take off but can understand why airlines might be hesitant to permit monitoring of real-time air traffic coms. It is entirely possible some dufus will misinterpret what he hears and announce to the entire cabin that the aircraft is in peril.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.