Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC150 / 2050 Jan 7; quite interesting after flight cancellations and delays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Back of the bus

Was quite interesting!

Had the initial flight cancelled (and upguaged apparently) and replaced with AC2050. Was supposed to depart at 615 (instead of 530pm) but a delay was posted as the mechanics needed to fix an issue, get parts, test, etc.

We eventually boarded around 815pm, but we sat on the tarmac for close to an hour... as the flight crew had to do the safety demo MANUALLY cabin to cabin, with the crew doing the announcement over a bullhorn. Couldn't even hear anything when they were 5 rows away. Any attempts to make announcements over the loadspeakers were met with just crackles. Was an older bird (A330)

We had no idea if this was even the maintenance the mechanics were working on, but it was definitely an interesting experience. Wish I had taken pictures of the crew doing the demo.

Of course we arrived into YYZ quite late which made our overnight hotel almost pointless. But that's a moot point.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Isn't the lack of a working speaker system a safety issue? Seatbelts for turbulence, reminding people to stay in their seat until the aircraft has come to a complete a final stop etc... ?

Or was it fixed by the time you left? I assume not, because they normally do the safety stuff while taxi-ing which would be after the mechanics have left.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:31 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Yeah, you would think a working PA (or maybe just a bullhorn) would be part of the MEL.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

That's the part that's open to interpretation I guess. They did the whole thing manually but no one could hear anything (and literally the FA doing the announcement had the bullhorn in one hand, his book on top of the bullhorn and was reading as fast as he could in broken french).

Definitely felt unsafe, but I guess the MEL allowed the plane to fly. We were never told if this was the issue the mechanics were fixing or not though. Still trying to find out.

Anyone have access to the data on EF?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jc94
Isn't the lack of a working speaker system a safety issue? Seatbelts for turbulence, reminding people to stay in their seat until the aircraft has come to a complete a final stop etc... ?

Or was it fixed by the time you left? I assume not, because they normally do the safety stuff while taxi-ing which would be after the mechanics have left.
As far as we were aware, we didn't know what the initial maintenance issue was for, and the speaker system was never working the entire flight. Even the buzzers for turning seatbelts on and off sounded worse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.