Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: When does Status for 2019 get updated?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: When does Status for 2019 get updated?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott, SPG
When does Status for 2019 get updated?

I'm new to the FF community and status so I'm a little unsure how this works.

Last year 2018 I received early recognition for 35K Status but at the end of the year 30/12 I squeeked over the 50K threshold 50,484 AQM, 24 AQS, 6450 AQD but my status is still 35K. When can I expect that I'll be *A Gold so I can use the lounges? I have a flight on LOT coming up in a few weeks.

thx
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
You'll get swept up within a couple of weeks I'm sure. Congrats and welcome to FT.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by navarcht
I'm new to the FF community and status so I'm a little unsure how this works.

Last year 2018 I received early recognition for 35K Status but at the end of the year 30/12 I squeeked over the 50K threshold 50,484 AQM, 24 AQS, 6450 AQD but my status is still 35K. When can I expect that I'll be *A Gold so I can use the lounges? I have a flight on LOT coming up in a few weeks.

thx
You have access to domestic and transborder MLL’s in Canada, EWR, LGA, and LAX now. You won’t get access to the *G lounges out there in the world until you get swept to 50K... which as mentioned will likely be soon.

Welcome to FT!

Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:34 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
OP, welcome to FT.

Note that your status technically doesn't kick in until March 1st. That being said, as the others have mentioned, there's a good chance that your status will update in the system sometime before then.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: AC SEMM; AA,DL, Hyatt and Starwood. Ex-status:SQ PPS,CSA,Hilton,AA,UA
Welcome Navarcht.

Since this is a frequent question (unsurprisingly so given Air Canada's unusual processes in this regard), here is a more fulsome explanation (which other people have made specific to your situation already).
  1. In year n, if at some point before ~mid Oct you reach an equal or higher status than you currently have, you will be awarded the new status within a week or two, expiring end of Feb year n+2.
  2. If the same happens between that mid Oct date and Dec 31, you are technically entitled that status only as of March 1 of year n+1. That being said, Air Canada does several rounds of sweeps from Dec (year n) through Feb (year n+1) and will generally give you the status during one of those sweeps, again expiring end of Feb year n+2
This is of course a bit surprising to mere mortals who expect more normal behaviour, which would not treat before-Oct and after-Oct differently, and would be faster and more uniform in closing out status ups and downs at the end of the qualifying (calendar) year.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

thanks! much clearer now.
Ironically I received an email offer to buy up to 50K this morning

the *A lounges are more of interest to me instead of the MLL as I am now living in China. Now if there was some way to change my Altitude profile to China to reduce the AQD requirement.... the system doesn't seem to work for non-english addresses.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by montrealer
Welcome Navarcht.

Since this is a frequent question (unsurprisingly so given Air Canada's unusual processes in this regard), here is a more fulsome explanation (which other people have made specific to your situation already).
  1. In year n, if at some point before ~mid Oct you reach an equal or higher status than you currently have, you will be awarded the new status within a week or two, expiring end of Feb year n+2.
  2. If the same happens between that mid Oct date and Dec 31, you are technically entitled that status only as of March 1 of year n+1. That being said, Air Canada does several rounds of sweeps from Dec (year n) through Feb (year n+1) and will generally give you the status during one of those sweeps, again expiring end of Feb year n+2
This is of course a bit surprising to mere mortals who expect more normal behaviour, which would not treat before-Oct and after-Oct differently, and would be faster and more uniform in closing out status ups and downs at the end of the qualifying (calendar) year.
Love this. Not only do we have the calendar year, the academic year, the "financial" year in countries that don't do Jan-Dec, we also have the AC year.
Of course, some AC benefits do run Jan-Dec. Because you know, why not.

Originally Posted by navarcht
thanks! much clearer now.
Ironically I received an email offer to buy up to 50K this morning

the *A lounges are more of interest to me instead of the MLL as I am now living in China. Now if there was some way to change my Altitude profile to China to reduce the AQD requirement.... the system doesn't seem to work for non-english addresses.
What error are you getting? I expect there are going to be people here who have been able to set a non English address.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jc94
What error are you getting? I expect there are going to be people here who have been able to set a non English address.
I suspect there's a province full of people
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Too funny! Ironically I moved from Quebec to China so technically neither address is in English.

When I try to update my address with Chinese characters I get an error for both the street name and city (I assume because of the characters). I could try translating the address into English but I would never receive any mail that way. Here they wouldn't know what to do with mail addressed to Qinhuangdao just as in Canada they wouldn't know what to do with a letter addressed to 秦皇岛市
(Disclaimer: I cannot speak, read, or write Chinese!)
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: E50K, Bonvoy Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
January 18th is the final sweep for the 2019 benefit year. (Besides the last one at end of Feb to bring people who didn't re-qualify back down to Basic.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.