Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Can I upgrade fare bought by company?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

So once a month, I am flown by my company for work from YVR-LHR/LHR-YVR in W class, so I only earn 50% AQM so I barely make 25K, however I am wondering if AC would let me pay the difference in advance to upgrade to something like H class, so I could earn 100% AQM. Does anyone know if this is possible?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by ryanpower8
So once a month, I am flown by my company for work from YVR-LHR/LHR-YVR in W class, so I only earn 50% AQM so I barely make 25K, however I am wondering if AC would let me pay the difference in advance to upgrade to something like H class, so I could earn 100% AQM. Does anyone know if this is possible?
In general, yes.
Do you book through a corporate TA? Concur? etc?
And what are your corporate policies? What will your controller/accountant/etc. say?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Possibly. If you have a AC booking ref or 014 ticket phone then up. They may refuse to touch it if issued by a TA though.

I assume you mean W as in Standard? W could be one of a few fare classes thanks to ACs new branded fares alphabet soup.

And while I’m not an expert, at least in days past H (in fact MUH IIRC) are high flex. Unless looking to upgrade normally non Intl flights you want low flex. Just ask upfare cost to the next available Flex bucket. This isn’t that unusual a request that any half competent AC call center agent should be able to handle.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

It is booked through American Express Global Business travel
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:52 pm

It is booked through American Express Global Business travel
Um. Is that just a company credit card you use? By TA/Travel agent we mean like Concir or BCD, where you have a company book and pay for it all for you. You pay a fee for this service, per booking. Many companies seem to like it. I just get the EA to do it if it’s within NA.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jc94

Um. Is that just a company credit card you use? By TA/Travel agent we mean like Concir or BCD, where you have a company book and pay for it all for you. You pay a fee for this service, per booking. Many companies seem to like it. I just get the EA to do it if it’s within NA.
No it isn't the credit card company, its a business travel company under the same umbrella, and its what the company I work for uses to book my flights, I am pretty sure to is similar to Concir and BCD in the way where my company pays amex global business travel to book flights for me and the rest of its employees
Old Jan 5, 2019, 11:22 pm

Call AC and ask to upfare
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by monkai
Call AC and ask to upfare
No, call TA (Amex) and ask to upfare.

However, OP, as a 25k you can only upgrade within 2 days of departure unless you book Latitude. Flex fares have a co-pay of at least $500. I say save your money and upgrade your current ticket. Co-pay on W fare is $600. I doubt you’d be able to upfare to flex for $100 and you’d still be playing Aerolotto.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Tit, UA Silver
He can't use eupgrades since as a P25k, he only has 20 and the number required would be 21 from W.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
No it isn't the credit card company, its a business travel company under the same umbrella, and its what the company I work for uses to book my flights, I am pretty sure to is similar to Concir and BCD in the way where my company pays amex global business travel to book flights for me and the rest of its employees
You have two options.
Call AC. Most TAs will not touch a TA ticket so if you are lucky you will get one who will oblige and charge you to upfare to flex.
Call your TA. They may charge you a service fee ($5-$25) in addition to the cost to upfare to flex. Be prepared to feed them the fare class and verify it is flex as many TAs are not completely familiar with ACs branded fare classes.
In both cases, try and call within 24hrs of booking as that is likely to be the best time to get the lowest cost to upfare to flex. 24hrs is also the cancellation window for international flights so you will be less likely to get an uninformed agent try and incorrectly demand a change fee
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Short answer is yes, if you call Amex or AC they will allow you to upfare at your own expense. The bigger question is, what's the point in doing so?

If you upfare every single flight you do, you will spend a ton of money over the course of a year in order to double your mileage and end the year as an E50 rather than E25. That gets you Star Gold, and access to lounges throughout the network. Whoopee.

I can't speak to the odds of upgrading flying ex-YVR, but as a former E50 flying ex-YYZ it was pretty difficult on TATL flights as most had very limited upgrade space and at least a few SEs on them, who of course are ahead of you in the upgrade queue. As an E50 you wouldn't have enough e-credits to upgrade more than one TATL flight per year anyway, so it seems like a lot of expense for what would amount to eight or nine hours of sitting in a fat chair. And there's also the cost of the additional several hundred $$$ co-pay you would need to fork on top of your e-credits should your upgrade bid be successful.

Otherwise, E50 would give you more Aeroplan miles. But to earn them you will spend far more money than what they're actually worth. Don't lose sight of that.

So again, yes you can do it, but are you sure you really want to?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
OP did not mean to upgrade to business he/she said upgrade to H to get 100% AQM. I think he/she meant "upfare" as the words are used here.
OP said company books those W flights, but did not say that was the only travel taken. Maybe personal travel would be significantly more pleasant if they could spend those eUps. In addition, *G status would provide more airport benefits on the TATL company travel. It may cost more to upfare than to buy Maple Leaf Club International membership but everyone has to make their own decisions.
KenHamer and D404 like this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:19 am

Speaking as a former E35k - I found traveling TATL in Y as E35 was a significant improvement (less unpleasant) with the access to priority security and Zone 2 boarding. Neither of which is given to P25k.
You also drop the price of preferred seats if in half if traveling in Flex vs Standard. And can pick most non preferred seats without a cost. So there may be a benefit for OP.

Also as an E50 you can also attempt to use less eUps to upgrade to PY without a copay.
As as mentioned above, personal travel especially if done within NA can be made a lot more pleasant.

If you want to go for it, I'd call AC first and if they refuse to touch it, can try the TA.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Symmetre
Short answer is yes, if you call Amex or AC they will allow you to upfare at your own expense. The bigger question is, what's the point in doing so?

If you upfare every single flight you do, you will spend a ton of money over the course of a year in order to double your mileage and end the year as an E50 rather than E25. That gets you Star Gold, and access to lounges throughout the network. Whoopee.

I can't speak to the odds of upgrading flying ex-YVR, but as a former E50 flying ex-YYZ it was pretty difficult on TATL flights as most had very limited upgrade space and at least a few SEs on them, who of course are ahead of you in the upgrade queue. As an E50 you wouldn't have enough e-credits to upgrade more than one TATL flight per year anyway, so it seems like a lot of expense for what would amount to eight or nine hours of sitting in a fat chair. And there's also the cost of the additional several hundred $$$ co-pay you would need to fork on top of your e-credits should your upgrade bid be successful.

Otherwise, E50 would give you more Aeroplan miles. But to earn them you will spend far more money than what they're actually worth. Don't lose sight of that.

So again, yes you can do it, but are you sure you really want to?

Yes I see your point, however I am 75k AQM from 1 million miles, so after I reach a million I would stop the fare upgrading for miles
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyquiet
OP did not mean to upgrade to business he/she said upgrade to H to get 100% AQM. I think he/she meant "upfare" as the words are used here.
OP said company books those W flights, but did not say that was the only travel taken. Maybe personal travel would be significantly more pleasant if they could spend those eUps. In addition, *G status would provide more airport benefits on the TATL company travel. It may cost more to upfare than to buy Maple Leaf Club International membership but everyone has to make their own decisions.
Yes, what I meant was upfare to flex, so I could get 100% AQM, because currently I am getting 50%, and the reason I am doing this is to fast track the last 75k AQM so I will reach 1 million miles
flyquiet likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.