Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: 777-300 Business v 787-9 Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: 777-300 Business v 787-9 Business

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club
777-300 Business v 787-9 Business

Hi, I realise that this could be subjective but I was interested to hear differences between the two. I am flying LHR - YVR and could take either. I am not too bothered with a layover in YYC as travelling alone and either works timing wise.

Does one plane have a better experience than the other?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:00 am

My experience is limited, but I’ve flown intercontinental J on each aircraft a few times. The pods are the same so no real difference there. 787 plane has higher cabin pressure and humidity; not sure it that makes a difference to you.

Unless segment count matters to you, I’d take the non-stop route, especially if you’re returning YVR-LHR as you can get a longer sleep.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YEG USER
My experience is limited, but I’ve flown intercontinental J on each aircraft a few times. The pods are the same so no real difference there. 787 plane has higher cabin pressure and humidity; not sure it that makes a difference to you.

Unless segment count matters to you, I’d take the non-stop route, especially if you’re returning YVR-LHR as you can get a longer sleep.
Thank you

The non-stop YVR-LHR is good advice.

Maybe the 787 out and 777 return might be the way to go as most other things are equal.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: AC SE
Done both semi-regularly. I find the 787 to be slightly more comfortable from the pods perspective, and the cabin pressure and humidity make a difference for me. All things being equal though, I would never take a stop for plane one over the other. Now, I might do that if the 777 is the HD version (I don't think they have those anymore?), or it's a 767 vs 777 or 787.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by epiphani
Done both semi-regularly. I find the 787 to be slightly more comfortable from the pods perspective, and the cabin pressure and humidity make a difference for me. All things being equal though, I would never take a stop for plane one over the other. Now, I might do that if the 777 is the HD version (I don't think they have those anymore?), or it's a 767 vs 777 or 787.
They don't have the HD J anymore on the 777's. They've all be refurbished to the current J.

I prefer the 787 over the 777 for the minor differences mentioned above. However. I would not add extra travel time to take a 787 over a 777. I would add a segment to take a 787/777 over a 767 though (i.e. YYC-NRT is 767, YVR-NRT is 787)
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
See also

Which one should I choose: 787 or 777 in J?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by tuppence
Hi, I realise that this could be subjective but I was interested to hear differences between the two. I am flying LHR - YVR and could take either. I am not too bothered with a layover in YYC as travelling alone and either works timing wise.

Does one plane have a better experience than the other?

Thanks in advance!
Paid J or upgrade? If the latter I would go for 789 if UG at time of booking and 777 if hoping to UG later. With a confirmed UG on a 777 there is always a chance of losing it if there is an aircraft switch. But here I would probably also just take the direct.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I've flown both and have not noticed whatever subtle differences there may be in the pod. I have certainly noticed that I feel better physically after flying the 789 over the 777.

Unless segments are important for status for you, take the direct.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:08 am

Ditto on the feeling better when disembarking a 787 vs 777. But not sure I would take an extra connection for it.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: Air Canada Elite, Continental Gold, IC Royal Ambassador, SPG Gold
I must be just the wrong size for the 777 pods. I find when I try to sleep on my side it's pretty uncomfortable and I hit the tray with my hip. I don't have this problem with any of the 787s. I'm not a particularly big person, 6ft and 185lbs.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:20 am
Original Poster

I'm paying for J and have no interest in collecting segments (or not) so purely interested in differences in the actual cabin really.

Thanks all. I figured there'd be some subjectivity, but good to hear your views - timings are good to take the 789 out and 777 back so I'll do that. Be interesting to see if there really is better air / more space ont he 789!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by eastcoastcan
I must be just the wrong size for the 777 pods. I find when I try to sleep on my side it's pretty uncomfortable and I hit the tray with my hip. I don't have this problem with any of the 787s. I'm not a particularly big person, 6ft and 185lbs.
Yes - there appears to be a slight difference in the size of the pod in the two aircraft. I have this same issue.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: SE 100K MM,UA Gold, Marriott Titanium,Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade, National Exec Elite
Wifi availability can make a big difference in favour of 77W if you are inclined that way
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: AC 75K / *A Gold
Personal preference, really. Have flown both cabins in J several times, I kind of like the 777 for it being such a large plane, but that doesn’t really matter once you’re seated. I don’t seem to notice the air cabin pressure impact, but for sure the 787 has much larger windows if you appreciate looking outside once in a while. There are no window shades, the FA’s have a master control to blank them, yet you’re still able to slightly see through them, which I like. 787 has a likely lower CO2 impact if this matters to you.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by eastcoastcan
I share your sentiments (and measurements).

I also do find I feel better getting of a 787 vs. a 777 on a long flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.