Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Optimizing expensive short-haul flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VIPorter First, AC E50, Accor Platinum, SPG Ambassador

I frequently fly short-haul Y fares, paid for by my company. The mileage earn on these is unattractive, as they're usually very short distances (e.g. YYZ-YOW, YYZ-YUL, etc.) But because my company purchases Latitude fares, and I often need to buy last minute, the dollar spend is quite high. Is there an earning partner that I should be crediting to in order to take advantage of these high dollar, low mile flights?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:27 pm

Why are you not talking your company into doing Latitude flight passes? Lots of flexibility, and often lower cost compared to last minute bookings.
flyquiet likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Why are you not talking your company into doing Latitude flight passes? Lots of flexibility, and often lower cost compared to last minute bookings.
Agreed, and the personal "advantage" is extra AQM or eUpgrades with purchase.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
I can't talk for the OP, but at my company the use of flight passes is explicitly banned due to the lack of accountability.

If there was some sort of connection between the AC systems and Concur, then it might be possible.... but without that, it's a no-go even though I understand it would make more sense financially.
canadiancow and eigenvector like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by canopus27
I can't talk for the OP, but at my company the use of flight passes is explicitly banned due to the lack of accountability.

If there was some sort of connection between the AC systems and Concur, then it might be possible.... but without that, it's a no-go even though I understand it would make more sense financially.
And this is why some companies are so short-sighted in their travel policy. My company recently switched to Concur where I now spend an unnecessary amount of time trying to find the actual flight(s) I want or not being able to use flight passes or different fare classes (standard, flex, comfort) that can be booked but previously would have just been flex.

In the end, this costs the company money despite the attempt to save money. And then there are the ways to circumvent the "requirements" to still get the flight/class that you want.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:23 pm

Interesting. My company uses Concur. When I go to make a booking the system goes through a check to see if there is an available flight pass that would reduce the price of the booking.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:41 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS

Concur can integrate with flight passes. Seems like your company and it’s travel agent don’t know how to make that work.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JordanYVR
Agreed, and the personal "advantage" is extra AQM or eUpgrades with purchase.
Not to mention complementary upgrades that don't require eUps.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
And this is why some companies are so short-sighted in their travel policy. .
Amen to that. They let the accountants out of the building, and the result is that much stupidity abounds.

I'm in the client business. I used to bill my clients actual cost - full fare economy or J. Then the accountants showed up. Tried to have contracts amended so they could subject me to their restrictive rules, ridiculous fare classes, etc.

Fortunately, I can tell my clients that if they want my services, they do it on my terms. So all my contracts are now flat-fee airfare, approximately equal to the cost of full-J.

They take it or leave it.

And, no more stupid accountants.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: AC 35k
Do you have to use AC? This is a situation where WS actually makes sense. High spend = quick platinum and some decent WSD earn. The flights are so short you don't need anything else (I think they have lounge passes though). Latitude translates to econoflex which will eventually give you free upgrades into proper J seating.

I'd almost never recommend this to a YYZ flier but based on your travel it makes sense.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by D582
Concur can integrate with flight passes.

Interesting ... I didn't know that.

​​​​​​Seems like your company and it’s travel agent don’t know how to make that work.
... but this .... yes, this piece is unequivocally true.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE

Concur can integrate with flight passes. Seems like your company and it’s travel agent don’t know how to make that work.
How? Do I transfer a flight pass I bought into the concur system or ask them to buy it for me?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite

Agreed. To add to this: if you put your TA IATA code into the flight pass, your company can run reports on FP usage. They can be easily audited to validate that travel is legitimate business travel. I buy my own FP, and make my own FP bookings, but we have a simple (mandatory) policy of including the IATA code and my company can and does audit my FP use. The company gets accountability, and I get flexibility and a vastly improved booked and travel experience.
canadiancow and Santander like this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by meagicano

How? Do I transfer a flight pass I bought into the concur system or ask them to buy it for me?
Either way works. Once it is set up to work with flight passes you then "register" as a FP user in Concur. Then, whenever you book a flight, you put in the cities and date, and before you get taken to the matrix of possible flights, it will ask you if you want to use a FP -- it is smart enough to detect if your city pair matches a FP that you "own".
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Not to mention complementary upgrades that don't require eUps.
That too. Although with my point (bonus AQM/eUps) it assumes the OP has some level of status and it's not clear if that's the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.