Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet Trolls AC hard...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I kind of feel like I am the prime target for AC. Because of my work I do a TATL or TPAC about once a month and I do TCON/TB 2-3 times a month. All OPM and all on somewhat restricted rules. Giving me eUps and lounge access and priority everything is what keeps me loyal. It makes the whole experience marginally less crappy without costing me a dime.

WS holds zero interest for me. Why would someone on OPM care about WS dollars? I don't travel for leisure much, and when I do I have AE miles out the wazoo.

AC is doing it right for this target audience and I don't see them losing much market share of THIS audience to WS. Ever.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I kind of feel like I am the prime target for AC. Because of my work I do a TATL or TPAC about once a month and I do TCON/TB 2-3 times a month. All OPM and all on somewhat restricted rules. Giving me eUps and lounge access and priority everything is what keeps me loyal. It makes the whole experience marginally less crappy without costing me a dime.

WS holds zero interest for me. Why would someone on OPM care about WS dollars? I don't travel for leisure much, and when I do I have AE miles out the wazoo.

AC is doing it right for this target audience and I don't see them losing much market share of THIS audience to WS. Ever.
Agreed here. As much as I like to pick on/harass/annoy AC, they're actually a pretty good airline. When I want to get from point A to point B, I'll almost always stick with AC when domestic, or UA elsewhere because I know they have the route network to support me. I've heard too many horror stories and experiences of the Skunk (PD) and WS stranding myself and my family when if I were a *Gold at the time I know AC would've figured something out to get me to where I need to go. With the other folks it can be hours or even days before you get to your intended destination. And that's just service recovery!

When looking at things like lounge access, baggage, priority services, etc., that is all really the icing on the cake that will make me choose AC over the others. Another thing I like is that AC offers products that the others don't like FPs, which add a ton of flexibility to my travel planning while giving me the certainty that I'll get the best fare (at the weekender pass let me do that ).

If I may be so bold, I'll go out on a limb and say, the only way WS can compete with AC is with their FFP and they've failed miserably to deliver there. When your biggest competitor beats you on the routes and you rarely offer fares lower then them, what's the point of travelling with WS? The problem is WS is unwilling to make the capital investments required to have a competitive FFP. For them to do that they would need to open WS lounges across Canada, which would cost millions. They would have to offers complimentary/reduced upgrades, free seat assignments, all that ancillary revenue they aren't willing to walk away from. So what you end up with is a half baked FFP (to be generous) and a lot of FFs asking, "what's the point of WS?"

-James
AC7E7 likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
I guess we will see how FFPs evolve. Like I said you don't need to fly a single segment to get AC SE, and I can get priority checkin and zone 2 with a CC and lounge access with a MLL card. Like always we will vote with our wallets.
Yes but there's a lot of things you can't replicate with * Gold. For one thing, having all those benefits across all * partners. For another, having the VIP designator on your boarding ticket and what that means for service recovery amongst other things. And let's not talk about the airline specific benefits like extra award availability, free E+ seating, free same day changes, etc. Then there's priority security at FRA or CAI (which can be a real nightmare without the perk) and free Marriott Gold (from UA). Can you put a price on the pilot of your MS flight coming up to you and shaking your hand and congratulating you for being a loyal *Gold?

Sure some of the package can be replicated but certainly not the whole shebang and that's if you're willing to shell out $1,000 annually between the INTL MLL membership and premium credit cards.
-James

Last edited by tcook052; Dec 31, 2018 at 12:25 am Reason: off topic
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: AC 35k
James, I think for you having "status" appears to be a personal point of pride whereas I see it as a useful perk that can largely be replicated using other means.

As for domestic flying - if you are based in the west (which I'm guessing you are not) anywhere other than YVR WS has a much better network with larger planes and higher frequency of service. Schedule and avoiding DH3s is a good enough reason to fly.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!

I used to feel I was a decent target for AC too, traveling domestic or TB a couple of times a month, TATL maybe 4 or 5 times a year and TPAC maybe two or three times a year. In other words, a pretty typical E50 - E75. But with imposing harsh co-pay fees to upgrade on the long hauls, stiffing me with rouge on pretty well all TB flights and all of their other "enhancements" AC hasn't done anything to earn my loyalty. If anything, they've gone out of their way to send me looking at other options. I couldn't care less about Westjet dollars either. But where I would once blindly book on AC without a second thought, I'm now happy to give business to WS or DL if it means a better experience ... like flying in first on DL for the same cost as Flex on AC, or simply being able to avoid the sardine can that is rouge.

While I'm glad it works for you, AC sure didn't do it right for THIS target audience. And by the number of Attitude bag tags I see in YYZ T3 these days, they have indeed lost at least some market share to other carriers. That's why they're trolling AC Elites the way that they are.
eracerblue and Santander like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Symmetre
I used to feel I was a decent target for AC too, traveling domestic or TB a couple of times a month, TATL maybe 4 or 5 times a year and TPAC maybe two or three times a year. In other words, a pretty typical E50 - E75. But with imposing harsh co-pay fees to upgrade on the long hauls, stiffing me with rouge on pretty well all TB flights and all of their other "enhancements" AC hasn't done anything to earn my loyalty. If anything, they've gone out of their way to send me looking at other options. I couldn't care less about Westjet dollars either. But where I would once blindly book on AC without a second thought, I'm now happy to give business to WS or DL if it means a better experience ... like flying in first on DL for the same cost as Flex on AC, or simply being able to avoid the sardine can that is rouge.

While I'm glad it works for you, AC sure didn't do it right for THIS target audience. And by the number of Attitude bag tags I see in YYZ T3 these days, they have indeed lost at least some market share to other carriers. That's why they're trolling AC Elites the way that they are.
My favorite troll behavior is to board a DL flight in F, and loudly & proudly exclaim how I got first class because I'm Air Canada gold, as all the Platinums walk back to Y.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*

Flying out of YVR has allowed me to avoid Rouge - and I mean I have literally never been on a Rouge aircraft. Admittedly there have been a couple of times that took some careful route planning.

I end up on DL for about 10 segments a year - hard to justify using anyone but when flying BWI/YVR-MSP. I don't have a strong feeling about them one way or the other - the experience is not as good as AC or UA, but I wouldn't expect it to be given it is a Skyteam line.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
My favorite troll behavior is to board a DL flight in F, and loudly & proudly exclaim how I got first class because I'm Air Canada gold, as all the Platinums walk back to Y.
Make sure to mention that you purchased a K fare while doing this.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Flying out of YVR has allowed me to avoid Rouge - and I mean I have literally never been on a Rouge aircraft. Admittedly there have been a couple of times that took some careful route planning.

I end up on DL for about 10 segments a year - hard to justify using anyone but when flying BWI/YVR-MSP. I don't have a strong feeling about them one way or the other - the experience is not as good as AC or UA, but I wouldn't expect it to be given it is a Skyteam line.
DL will status match and it might be worth taking for the year or so to have something to work with. They are pretty good as well about comp upgrades on certain routes as well as moving you to + seating, proactiveness on late flights, rebooks, etc.

The year I did the status match with them, I was comped to instant E50 equivalent, got auto upgrades on 3/4 of the flights I flew and qualified for the next year pretty quick. Again, this was on routes specific to DL where A/C just wasn't as convenient (ie, via MSP to other cities in the US with stops in MSP for work). If you are flexible on schedule / timings you can game the upgrades pretty well.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by jazzsax
DL will status match and it might be worth taking for the year or so to have something to work with. They are pretty good as well about comp upgrades on certain routes as well as moving you to + seating, proactiveness on late flights, rebooks, etc.

The year I did the status match with them, I was comped to instant E50 equivalent, got auto upgrades on 3/4 of the flights I flew and qualified for the next year pretty quick. Again, this was on routes specific to DL where A/C just wasn't as convenient (ie, via MSP to other cities in the US with stops in MSP for work). If you are flexible on schedule / timings you can game the upgrades pretty well.
Keep in mind switching to DL means you can kiss away business lounge access in Canada since DL doesn't operate m(any) Lounges north of the 49th. Lounge access stateside is also limited if you don't have an international itinerary. UC access is guaranteed traveling domestic if you're AC*Gold

-James
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Make sure to mention that you purchased a K fare while doing this.
The K is short for kettle
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:02 am

Giving me eUps and lounge access and priority everything is what keeps me loyal. It makes the whole experience marginally less crappy without costing me a dime.
Maybe when you’re a SE doing TPACs. AC seems to have your market segment dialed, and accordingly there is a lot of FT activity in that regard... however, the shorter the flights (regardless of how frequent) the benefits for that market drop off a cliff. From my perspective, the only tiers worth anything are E35K and SE. I may have the golden brag tags, but they’re pretty much useless to me! So what’s to entice me to give any more business to AC, and shoot for higher? I have multiple alternatives...

AC (and other airlines) need to figure out who's business they're trying to win, and develop programs (note plural tense) that will achieve that.
The person traveling to Australia a couple of times a year in full-fare paid J is simply not a frequent flier. The poor sod riding an RJ or turboprop a couple of times a week on short hauls, perhaps staying in a Hampton Inn because that's the best there is at the destination, is. They're two completely different customers, and it is a colossal mistake for airlines to try to appeal to both with the same vehicle (i.e. their FFP). Little wonder that neither cusomer group seem impressed with the value props being presented.

This is marketing 101, but amazingly, more and more airlines seem to be missing it altogether.
YES! It is a big gap/mistake of current FF programs. This could be much improved by offering a wider and deeper array of “Select Privileges”, cutting into Core. *G and eUps near useless to you, select “Gift E35K”, SE-like IKK, single cabin seat blocking, toasters, anything.

I would even take modestly better lounge “food” options... how about a simple chicken soup, rice, veggie that doesn’t have a bunch of common allergens and taste like it’s made en masse for a ho-hum cafeteria (so I hear).

FYI I’m one of those on turboprops most of the time, often 4 segment trips - Hardly “an elite experience”, and a Hampton Inn would be a palace compared to some of the places I have for options!

a pretty typical E50 - E75. But with imposing harsh co-pay fees to upgrade on the long hauls, stiffing me with rouge on pretty well all TB flights and all of their other "enhancements" AC hasn't done anything to earn my loyalty. If anything, they've gone out of their way to send me looking at other options.
<snip>...AC sure didn't do it right for THIS target audience. And by the number of Attitude bag tags I see in YYZ T3 these days, they have indeed lost at least some market share to other carriers. That's why they're trolling AC Elites the way that they are.
Yep. It’s not so much about carrying cost of a FFP, that’s missing the point and always going to need review. It is about acknowledging you have a vast network, a broad array of customer travel patterns, and increasingly, loyalty that is won by showing solid value across market segments. (Not the same “value”)

The E50K sitting next to me in the lounge may make 5x the profit for AC per flight (eg their TPAC vs my short haul), but I’m probably on 3x or more flights which quickly narrows the profit gap. When they get a handful of upgrades worth infinitely more in $ and comfort value than anything I receive, it’s no wonder my loyalty is dramatically diminished.

Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
In other words, who has had to put up with more AC BS and therefore should be "rewarded" with SE benefits?
*cough* I would love to think me, though I know there are a few that suffer on more turboprops than me. That said, the only really useful thing SE would get me is SE-level IKK.

Last edited by eracerblue; Jan 2, 2019 at 2:17 am
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:35 am

Staying somewhat on topic, one thing to take into account is WS's new international J product which I believe will be launched soon. Would this have much of an impact on AC's premium pax revenue for the routes WS flies with this? If I were the high spend pax based out of YYZ who flies regularly to London and prefer the lie-flat non-stop service only AC has offered so far, I may very well take a look at WS's offering. If they could deliver a J experience that is somewhat compelling with lie flat seats that don't turn into park benches, then hey, maybe I'll move over to WS. At that point perhaps AC will be forced to either fix their "hard" product or lower their J fares to remain competitive to WS.

All that being said, it wouldn't surprise me if WS prices their international J product competitively with AC (read the exact friggin' price). At which point the only benefit would be working lie flat seats. At which point who would want to ditch AC for working lie flat seats?! Wait a minute...

-James
eracerblue likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by j2simpso
At that point perhaps AC will be forced to either fix their "hard" product or lower their J fares to remain competitive to WS.
You must have missed the multiple posts by @YEG_SE4Life indicating that AC is working on getting this issue fixed. So if it isn't clear enough, Air Canada is currently, at this very juncture, getting this problem rectified. There isn't any need for them to be "forced" to do something they are already doing and aim to rectify in earnest. They also don't like to bleed compensation in addition to air. I'm no fan of a hard seat like others in this forum, but please, I beg you, give it a rest.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:03 pm
Original Member

Which came first - the chicken or the egg?

The first post in the deflategate thread is dated November 2017. That leads me to believe the problem first occured much earlier than that.

Makes one wonder how hard they are working on getting it fixed.

Moreover rather than working on getting it fixed why not go directly to getting it fixed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.