Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switching seats in Y - etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite for life; Fairmont Platinum; Delta Platinum Plus
i would have moved early and if someone turns up move over to your seat.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: *G
Watch the door and even the crew actions leading to final paperwork hand-off before closing, then slide across. Also put a magazine or newspaper etc on the seat in anticipation.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
There’s a sense in which those seats don’t cost extra—they cost extra to reserve in advance. They are distributed to non-paying passengers as the flight fills and seats are assigned. So in that way any passenger has equal “right” to them after it’s too late to reserve them.
They only don't cost extra (or require status) if you win at the game of chicken and they are either out of horrible seats or there are W&B concerns to be dealt with before you make any selection.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:33 pm

Look at it this way...you hadn't paid for an extra seat (does AC even allow that?) and the other guy HAD paid for a "whole seat". He was, quite possibly, going to lose some of his paid seat amenity being next to a POS... many of us have experienced that. By moving he took nothing from you that you had paid for, and merely ensured he got what HE paid for (use of the whole seat). True?
Old Dec 23, 2018, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

Originally Posted by trooper
Look at it this way...you hadn't paid for an extra seat (does AC even allow that?) and the other guy HAD paid for a "whole seat". He was, quite possibly, going to lose some of his paid seat amenity being next to a POS... many of us have experienced that. By moving he took nothing from you that you had paid for, and merely ensured he got what HE paid for (use of the whole seat). True?
lol ok if you want to go there... then what happens if the pax took a seat that was more than what they paid for I.e. They went from a non-preferred seat to a preferred seat?

heck, they should just go and grab an open seat in J!

At least they will get what they paid for!

True?
Old Dec 23, 2018, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Originally Posted by trooper
of course true. My OP didn't suggest I was upset or had anything "stolen" from me. Just wish I had the seat, hence querying FT community on how to deal with such situations. I had sympathy for him seeing how he would have to endure the flight.
Using GOGO in flight now on AC169. No Pax in the seat next to me this time and no one took it either, although its a middle seat this time.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:13 pm

I would have wished for the seat too! I think the advice is grab it...and see....
Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Another vote to grab the seat early. If someone boards late and says "you're in my sest" then just move back; no harm no foul.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: AC 35k
My usual rule is to ask the FA for the seat if it's still free after boarding is done. Once they tell me it's mine, it's hard for them to to allow someone else to keep it.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Doesn't AC offer free extra seats to POS? I thought there was a CTA ruling some time back that it was a medical disability and therefore AC was obliged to accommodate.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Doesn't AC offer free extra seats to POS? I thought there was a CTA ruling some time back that it was a medical disability and therefore AC was obliged to accommodate.
Maybe, maybe not.

The topic of the thread is who geta a "better" empty seat. OP snoozed and lost.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:38 pm

Why pick a middle seat?
Bohemian1 and RangerNS like this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Even if the other passenger had moved into a seat which required payment of a fee, that is a matter between that other passenger and AC.

As others note, I would have moved into the seat just as the flight was closing. If someone assigned to the seat comes running on at the last second, just move back. He who hesitates is lost (and does lose).
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Since you brought it up…
Discovered while Q400 Zone 2 boarding last week already in the window seat was a VERY large passenger whose belly touched the seat in front. Impossible to lower my aisle seat arm rest. During the “We have a full flight recording…", my (on topic) pleading to a FA enabled a move to an unoccupied row. The FA commented about the "oversized" passengers get an extra seat policy.
The flight home had. a similar problem. This time a teenage girl “spread" into my seat but there were no empty seats. Very uncomfortable shoulder to hip to thigh to knee bodily contact for the entire thankfully short YYZ/YXU flight. She unsuccessfully tried to have me moved.

“Extra seating is available free of charge, for travel within Canada, to customers who require extra seating because they are disabled by obesity or because they must accommodate another disability.
Extra seating may be requested when travelling on:
Any Air Canada flight or Air Canada Express flight operated by Jazz or Sky Regional
To request extra seating at no extra charge:
Print a copy of the Air Canada Fitness for Travel formOpen PDF file and
Follow the instructions on how and when to request medical approval for travel.“
“Fitness For Travel“ form where a medical professional documents your “Point A“ to “Point B" dimension

(By the way, I have had personal experience with the Air Canada medical desk and can not speak highly enough of them. 100% compassion and concern 100% of the time).
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: A3 *G; AC
missed quote - became a duplicate post.

Last edited by hastuk; Dec 24, 2018 at 8:37 am Reason: missed quote, became a duplicate post therefore removed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.