Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Testing Under-Seat Baggage Tags

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
And you are welcome to that. But you should pay for the privilege. I check my bag so I can put my smaller item in the bin, which I cannot check.
I should pay for the privilege of staying within the defined limits of carry-on?

BTW, I'm not trying to avoid cost with checking my bags - like most here, I can do that for free.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: AC 35k
If AC changes their system to allow one bag in the overhead bin and the second smaller one under the seat, I would be fine with that. If it's all smaller items, I'll be pissed.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I should pay for the privilege of staying within the defined limits of carry-on?

BTW, I'm not trying to avoid cost with checking my bags - like most here, I can do that for free.
Nope. Change the defined limits of carry on. You get one bag in the bin, and one under your seat. If you want more, you pay.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ffsim
Sky check is not always available. The folks you see bringing surplus / excess luggage down to the hold during non-sky check boarding processes are essentially adding checked luggage airside; whatever they bring down will ultimately appear at the passenger's destination baggage carrousel, not at the immediate next jet bridge. This simply doesn't work for cabin crews.
No you're right, sky check is pretty rare, and I agree that cabin crew should not have to wait by a carousel for their belongings.

We're discussing what is in my experience a very rare problem on AC. Perhaps because of when I board and where I sit? I've noticed the problem consistently on UA narrow body planes - the last 4 or 5 rows are pretty much always full with FA gear - mind you some if it is clearly safety items. In the end everyone adjusts and the plane leaves with all the passengers and their/our junk, so this is a non issue.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: AC 50K
Sky check is not always available. The folks you see bringing surplus / excess luggage down to the hold during non-sky check boarding processes are essentially adding checked luggage airside; whatever they bring down will ultimately appear at the passenger's destination baggage carrousel, not at the immediate next jet bridge. This simply doesn't work for cabin crews.
My friends who work as cabin crew have told me they are not allowed to check their bags and depending on the routing I believe they have 3 bags; overnight bag, cabin bag and lunch kit.
Old May 22, 2019, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
I know this thread’s been dormant for a while and the tags have been discussed elsewhere in the forum more recently, I think this is the right place for the following gripe:

I was standing in the zone 2 queue this morning with nothing but a backpack. GA came by and tagged it. I told her it’s the only bag I have, and she’s like, “that’s fine, it still needs to go under the seat in front of you.”

If the folks at AC are going through this thread, I have a simple message that’s already been mentioned umpteen times upthread: UNACCEPTABLE.

I have no issue with forcing one bag below the seat when you have two; this is common courtesy and if most people cared about their fellow passengers, we wouldn’t need these tags. But forcing someone who’s already checked a bag and just carrying-on a light backpack to sit through a TCON with a bag in their foot space is plain wrong.
Old May 22, 2019, 6:30 am

I know this thread’s been dormant for a while and the tags have been discussed elsewhere in the forum more recently, I think this is the right place for the following gripe:

I was standing in the zone 2 queue this morning with nothing but a backpack. GA came by and tagged it. I told her it’s the only bag I have, and she’s like, “that’s fine, it still needs to go under the seat in front of you.”

If the folks at AC are going through this thread, I have a simple message that’s already been mentioned umpteen times upthread: UNACCEPTABLE.

I have no issue with forcing one bag below the seat when you have two; this is common courtesy and if most people cared about their fellow passengers, we wouldn’t need these tags. But forcing someone who’s already checked a bag and just carrying-on a light backpack to sit through a TCON with a bag in their foot space is plain wrong.
Had the same situation, and I would agree.
But there is nothing stopping you from ripping the tag off in the jetty.
Old May 22, 2019, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by hydrogen
But there is nothing stopping you from ripping the tag off in the jetty.
I would never intentionally do something that would cause me to incur the wrath of a GA, but you’re absolutely right, the perilous trek through the jet bridge is particularly treacherous for these shiny white tags.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 7:00 am

I would never intentionally do something that would cause me to incur the wrath of a GA, but you’re absolutely right, the perilous trek through the jet bridge is particularly treacherous for these shiny white tags.
If the GAs are going to get sneaky with captive audiences in the line, I suggest a possible countermeasure: take a tiny tiny bag along with you that can absorb any "under the seat tag" hits and then it won't interfere with leg space.
canadiancow and smallmj like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS

I had a similar experience last week except it was at priority check . Checked 2 bags and had only a medium sized backpack as carry-on. Annoyingly, the agent still tagged my backpack.
Old May 22, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: AC SEMM, Marriott Titanium
I'm one of the taller crowd and one who prefers to keep my personal item at my feet. If you are the same consider pulling your item back in flight. I have a laptop bag that I sit upright behind my calves and find it really adds comfort and increases foot well space in any cabin. It also works great for catching J almonds before they hit no man's land.
Old May 22, 2019, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mathemagic
If the GAs are going to get sneaky with captive audiences in the line, I suggest a possible countermeasure: take a tiny tiny bag along with you that can absorb any "under the seat tag" hits and then it won't interfere with leg space.
I shouldn’t have to take a tiny tiny bag; I should be allowed to carry up to whatever size the airline allows. And if I have only one bag, I should be allowed to put it in the overhead bin.

Originally Posted by Premiere Elite - YEG
I'm one of the taller crowd and one who prefers to keep my personal item at my feet. If you are the same consider pulling your item back in flight. I have a laptop bag that I sit upright behind my calves and find it really adds comfort and increases foot well space in any cabin. It also works great for catching J almonds before they hit no man's land.
Agreed, this is precisely what I do when I have a roll-aboard along with a personal item ^
JustSomeGuy1978 likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
If I have a carry-on and a personal item the later goes under the seat. If I have one carry-on OR personal item it goes into the overhead. Attempts to make me put a single item under the seat will be firmly resisted. Tags will be lost, ability to comprehend English reduced and sufficient silent insolence shown that the GA and FA will seek more accommodating prey.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Badenoch
If I have a carry-on and a personal item the later goes under the seat. If I have one carry-on OR personal item it goes into the overhead.
Wholeheartedly agree.

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Attempts to make me put a single item under the seat will be firmly resisted. Tags will be lost, ability to comprehend English reduced and sufficient silent insolence shown that the GA and FA will seek more accommodating prey.
I think the best outcome here is for AC to simply revisit the policy and apply some common sense to it. IMHO the sort of pushback you suggest would most likely antagonize the GA and jeopardize the trip well before s/he decides to prey on a more accommodating passenger.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:42 am

I shouldn’t have to take a tiny tiny bag; I should be allowed to carry up to whatever size the airline allows. And if I have only one bag, I should be allowed to put it in the overhead bin.
I don't disagree. This is how it should be, absolutely. But in the face of a multitude of potential irritants, for me, a backup plan to avoid surprises that can help keep the blood pressure down given all the ways an airline can make life more difficult than it needs to be if they so choose. Goodness knows there are enough things at the gates to raise blood pressure as it is!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.