Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Testing Under-Seat Baggage Tags

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
AC Testing Under-Seat Baggage Tags

Gate agents were attaching a white "under the seat" tag to some some passengers' bags yesterday at YYZ. While I only noticed these tags being attached during the boarding process, it didn't really seem to have any impact on the speed at which passengers were processed. Two types of customers seemed to be targeted: (1) those seated in Y with a roll-aboard and second bag and (2) those in later zones (Z4 & Z5) with only one small bag (e.g. backpack, laptop bag, etc).

While aboard, the SD read a bilingual message explaining the program several times as people settled into their seats. The message stated that the test is intended to "help ease boarding" and provide "more access to the overhead bin space." Passengers were then thanked for storing their tagged articles "whenever possible under the seat in front of you" and reminded that their other items can be stored in the overhead bins.

As a perpetual Z2er who spends the bulk of his flying in Y, I hope this helps change the default behaviour of some who are only too willing to put their roll-aboard, laptop bag, coat, duty-free bags, etc up in the bin and then ignore the struggles of others as they try to find room for their one bag. We often talk about etiquette here on FT, and it seems like the countless reminders to put "one bag under the seat in front of you" have gone unheeded -- hopefully this test is successful and sticks around.

Thoughts? Comments?
BarrieTravelGuy likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
The only time I don't put my personal item under the seat in front of me in Y is when I'm in a bulkhead seat (duh) or on a red-eye. I agree it is good etiquette to not take up more overhead bin space than necessary, even if you are in Zone 1/2.
mamau, Plumber, ffsim and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: TK *G
Not a big deal for short flights. For long haul flights though, I am not sure if it’s better to walk around a bit to find a bin with space or getting a bit more leg room. I really don’t mind putting my bag far away from me if that means me and others can get the space underneath the seat.

I will also add that my experience with long haul Y is only with non HD 777s, so I understand things can be different for HD.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
This is less of a issue for long haul with some exceptions (DEL/BOM as example) because for long haul people will have checked bag so less need to bring a ton of stuff into the cabin. Its domestic and TB that has the main issue.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by vernonc
This is less of a issue for long haul with some exceptions (DEL/BOM as example) because for long haul people will have checked bag so less need to bring a ton of stuff into the cabin. Its domestic and TB that has the main issue.
Agreed. The test I experienced yesterday was on a Rapid Air flight, which is an ideal candidate for gauging effectiveness of the program.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Honestly, I typically have both bags in the overhead above me, but only if I can fit my laptop bag on top of my rollaboard. If not, I wait for all boarding to be done and then look for a spot in the overhead - I can usually fit it somewhere.

I guess that's not great etiquette but I'm very confident I have never been (nor will I ever be) the cause of someone not fitting their rollaboard overhead.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:44 am

Didn't they do this a few years ago when they were tagging bags with red bag labels? I think someone around here was going to print a bunch so we can could get around the silliness.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Wouldn't it make more sense to tag the bags that are allowed in the overhead, so that ripping the tag off isn't beneficial to the passenger?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Didn't they do this a few years ago when they were tagging bags with red bag labels? I think someone around here was going to print a bunch so we can could get around the silliness.
That (Spring/Summer 2015, IIRC) was for carry-on in general and was often done at the start of the security line and everywhere in between.
ffsim likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
What I don't understand, how does VA and QF load a fully loaded 737 in 20 minutes with bags and no issues.

And yet, AC always seems slow and prone to these kind of issues
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:46 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Wouldn't it make more sense to tag the bags that are allowed in the overhead, so that ripping the tag off isn't beneficial to the passenger?
What AC is doing with this test is what BA has been doing for a while (although BA's tags are yellow). But I've always thought the same as you.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: AC 35k
I actually think the opposite. I check my luggage so I don't have to put in a suitcase on the overhead bins, but then I expect space for my laptop, because I don't want it in the seat in front me of me. It's limited pitch as it is, I want the leg space. I'd pay for this. Don't force me to put my laptop under the seat.

You want to board faster? Try making overhead space more expensive than checked luggage.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
You want to board faster? Try making overhead space more expensive than checked luggage.
This. As long as the airlines charge for checked bags and overhead is free, the problem will remain. Change it around and flights will board faster and the airlines will still collect revenue.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite for life; Fairmont Platinum; Delta Platinum Plus
I am 6 ft 3 and to my mind one of the real advantages of z2 boarding is I get to not have anything at my feet.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
It's limited pitch as it is, I want the leg space.
My thoughts exactly. Seats with less pitch and now they want you to lose the under seat space. No thanks.
Fiordland and cablemonkey like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.