Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Fly from Ottawa (YOW) to (GOI) Goa, India on points without Surcharge ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Fly from Ottawa (YOW) to (GOI) Goa, India on points without Surcharge ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Question Fly from Ottawa (YOW) to (GOI) Goa, India on points without Surcharge ?

Hi Guys,

I recently transferred in 100,000 amex points to an areoplan account looking to fly from Ottawa in January and return from Goa in mid-march, but to avoid large surcharges if I can. Anyone have any tips or aware of some magic to this ? I heard united doesn't charge such fees and I can search on Kayak to find a united flight from Ottawa through Newark that matches my flight agenda, but haven't been able to bring it up on the areoplan site.

Currently looking at leaving Jan 14 - March 14 , advice appreciated.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
It doesnt quite work like that - you need to find award availability, not just a flight that exists.
More likely than not, Air India will be your friend, but you can also fly on Turkish as well as many others.
The website prefers Air Canada (and other options with surcharges), so you may need to call in.

See this thread
How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions
Old Dec 2, 2018, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Tcalp
Hi Guys,

I recently transferred in 100,000 amex points to an areoplan account looking to fly from Ottawa in January and return from Goa in mid-march, but to avoid large surcharges if I can. Anyone have any tips or aware of some magic to this ? I heard united doesn't charge such fees and I can search on Kayak to find a united flight from Ottawa through Newark that matches my flight agenda, but haven't been able to bring it up on the areoplan site.

Currently looking at leaving Jan 14 - March 14 , advice appreciated.
With this being your first post, Welcome to FT!

Originally Posted by rankourabu
It doesnt quite work like that - you need to find award availability, not just a flight that exists.
More likely than not, Air India will be your friend, but you can also fly on Turkish as well as many others.
The website prefers Air Canada (and other options with surcharges), so you may need to call in.

See this thread
How to Save Money/YQ on Aeroplan Europe redemptions
Welcome to Double FlyerTalk Evangelist status. (I just realized this was your 19,999th post, and you made an official 20K post after it)

Last edited by yyznomad; Dec 3, 2018 at 3:49 am
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yyznomad
......Welcome to FlyerTalk Evangelist status. (I just realized this was your 19,999th post, and you made an official 20K post after it)
A collectible, if you will

Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Evangelist is at 10k posts, which is pretty obvious by looking at 24left
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:12 pm

Welcome to FT

I was able to find availability on the outbound not so much luck on the return (only available with high scam-charges levied by AC)

Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by imverge
Welcome to FT

I was able to find availability on the outbound not so much luck on the return (only available with high scam-charges levied by AC)

Good work! Despite 26 hours and 4 connections, that´s a brilliantly executed itinerary on points.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by imverge
Welcome to FT
Yes, I was able to find the same, was hoping there were some experts on here at the multi-flight to help steer the system into other airlines aside from AC. By example if I do a stop in Cambodia on the return I would largely skip any fees on the return, getting EgyptAir from BOM to Cambodia and then Air China home.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:23 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
FYI, not sure if it matters to you but Egyptair is a dry airline.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:25 am
Original Poster

I have also found I am able to stop in Cairo, which has excellent flight paths -- from Goa to Dubai, then Dubai to Cairo , stop for a week (or whatever time I choose), then Cairo direct to Toronto and Toronto to Ottawa. I would add a screenshot but I do not have enough posts
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
FYI, not sure if it matters to you but Egyptair is a dry airline.
I tend not to drink on flights, unless maybe I'm flying with a buddy or something.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Since you are not planning any stop-overs, it may be best to book 2 one-ways, so grab the above one now while it is available, then worry about the return.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Since you are not planning any stop-overs, it may be best to book 2 one-ways, so grab the above one now while it is available, then worry about the return.
I am looking to do some sort of stop over on the return to avoid surcharges.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by Tcalp
I am looking to do some sort of stop over on the return to avoid surcharges.
I would highly recommend a Google "LOW YQ fees on Aeroplan flight"

Two hours of reading, along with some requests from help on here, will really benefit you!

Good luck.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
There is not really any Star airline going to GOI other than AI.
As other posters said book the outbound and then check for better return connections. LX might open up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.