Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Can Aeroplan do this? Change my RTW award schedule a week before departure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Can Aeroplan do this? Change my RTW award schedule a week before departure?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: aeroplan, air miles, wyndham hotels, choice hotels
Angry Can Aeroplan do this? Change my RTW award schedule a week before departure?

Good morning all. I have been a lurker for many years but this is my first post so if I am in the wrong forum I apologize in advance as I am still a bit numb from the bombshell from Aeroplan yesterday.
I'll try to be short! My wife and I booked a RTW trip in April with AP to visit some family but mostly to celebrate our 45 years married in style... this is what it looked like when it was booked.

YYZ-SFO-AKL
AKL-MEL stopover
MEL-BKK-USM stopover 10 days to celebrate wedding aniversary
USM-BKK-DXB stopover
DXB-ALC stopover
ALC-LIS layover
LIS-YYZ

Yesterday (just over 1 week before we leave) we get home to a VM from AP telling us that there is no flight partner now from BKK-USM they have sent an email with new flight scheduling.... which now looks like this
YYZ-SFO-AKL
AKL-MEL
MEL-BKK
BKK-DXB
DXB-ALC
ALC-LIS
LIS-YYZ
So I check the flights and the leg from MEL-BKK with TG has been moved to a later flight which arrives at the same time as the last flight leaves from BKK-USM with TG (who codeshare with Bangkok airways for this route according to TG website) for that day..... so they just deleted it!
The main reason for this trip is to spend 10 days on the beach in Koh Samui with my wife to enjoy our 45 years together.
Not being an expert at dealing with AP, before I go in with both guns blazing can I insist that they reschedule the leg from BKK-USM for the next day and we will spend a night in BKK?
Hotels and transportation in USM are all booked so I still have to deal with that...... but that's another issue!

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
As this is a schedule change, yes you can call AP and request modifications. Make sure that you are clear on what you are looking to achieve (ie: I want to fly from MEL to USM and arrive on...). Researching options (do you have to go through BKK) ahead of time and asking AP if it could be done would go a long way
canopus27 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
1) It looks like TG does not fly BKK-USM at all - only sells flights on PG as codeshares. Usually these type of code-shares are not eligible for AE reward redemption, and
indeed AE shows no availability on any date for this city pair. I don't know if your original flights were on TG, or if the reward was issued in error, or....

2) There are many cheap flights between BKK and USM, I would just keep your other flights as is, and buy the return tickets that suit you. It will be a very small amount.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: AC
TG is no longer flying to USM. They are code-sharing with Bangkok Airways, who are not a *A carrier so you won't be able to book this with Aeroplan. In fact, there are no *A carriers into USM, so you will have no choice but to pay your own way between BKK and USM to connect with the rest of your AE ticket. But since this is a schedule change, you may be able to get an earlier MEL-BKK flight that would allow you to same-day connect.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Generally on non-AC flights, you'll only be able to get a flight that's available on points (they can't "force" open unavailable seats), but having a plan / specific request will definitely help with getting them to book what they can.

I think the buy your own BKK-USM-BKK flights option is almost certainly the best. You could get them to restore your original MEL-BKK flight so that you can still catch the BKK-USM flight you had originally booked, even though you'd need t pay for that leg now.

Unfortunately sounds like this was out of their control as TG stopped flying that leg, but you might have some luck if you press that you had a ticketed reservation on that flight and want them to honour it. Very occasionally in the past, they've gone and bought a revenue ticket to cover a situation like that (I'm reaching quite far back, but in 2012 or 2013 SQ "accidentally" opened up some F availability during a system change and it was bookable with Aeroplan; however, SQ then refused to honour the bookings but somewhere between AP and SQ some of us ended up getting paid F tickets from AP). I'd maybe try that as your first approach ("I have a confirmed ticketed reservation and I expect you to honour it"), and then have your preferred fallback itinerary change if they truly won't.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krayZpaving

Unfortunately sounds like this was out of their control as TG stopped flying that leg, but you might have some luck if you press that you had a ticketed reservation on that flight and want them to honour it. Very occasionally in the past, they've gone and bought a revenue ticket to cover a situation like that (I'm reaching quite far back, but in 2012 or 2013 SQ "accidentally" opened up some F availability during a system change and it was bookable with Aeroplan; however, SQ then refused to honour the bookings but somewhere between AP and SQ some of us ended up getting paid F tickets from AP). I'd maybe try that as your first approach ("I have a confirmed ticketed reservation and I expect you to honour it"), and then have your preferred fallback itinerary change if they truly won't.
What likely happened is that this was an automated, computer-generated change, because the flights in question no longer exist.

Given that thee plan was to have a major stopover there, basically, it was the destination, they ought to find a plan B. OP should stress that he has non-refundable hotel reservations and that sort of things, ad they cannot do that to them at the last minute. Be polite but insistent.

BTW Silkair flies there. But they are not Star Alliance even though SQ is.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: AC 75K
I'd push back to Aeroplan on this. TG announced in June they were ending USM flights, with the cancellation taking effect in September, so they would have received a cancellation message from TG months ago. The core issue is Aeroplan is just getting around to re-ticketing the reservation now.
PointWeasel likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 11:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
None of this helps OP. If there are no *A alternatives, there are no *A alternatives.

Better to call AP, have them rebook for the earlier flight and then purchase the CKK-USM round-trip. I see typical fares at roughly $250 per person round-trip.

On return, I would then complain to AP that you are out of pocket because of its delay in notifying you of the change. AP has no control over the cancellation, but it would have known months ago and the tickets may have been cheaper. You won't get far, but you may see some miles out of it.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
If it was booked with TG, and TG still codeshares with another airline, I would get them on the phone along with Aeroplan on a 3 way call until they find a solution.

I assume TG moved their revenue bookings to the codeshare with minor impact, and certainly did not just erase/refund bookings. They may have given Aeroplan a similar option and they likely dropped the ball or did not reply in time.

If Aeroplan screwed up the carriers own reaccomodation process the supervisors can buy you a revenue ticket.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Hello folks, thank you to all of your replies they have been very helpful. a quick update......
After a day on the phone with AP with 2 out of the 3 agents being very helpful and sympathetic we now have a manager on the case trying to help us out. I will let everyone know what the happy ending is; assuming there is one.
Once again thanks for the information and tips.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Well after loosing a day or so out of our lives dealing with this I have to say that AP came through in the end! I must give kudos to the manager Jack based in Vancouver who put this right for us. He admitted that AP had dropped the ball as AP had been notified back in May that TG will be dropping the route to USM and will be codesharing with Bangkok Air. He spent a lot of time with us to try and make it work, even looking to buy a revenue ticket to USM but there was no way to do it. This is how our RTW looks now:

YYZ-SFO-AKL stopover
AKL-MEL stopover
MEL-BKK-HKT stopover
HKT-BKK-DXB stopover
DXB-ALC stopover
ALC-LIS layover
LIS-YYZ
plus 40000 points into both of our AP accounts

Bottom line is that I get to spend our 45 years wedding anniversary on the beach in Thailand with my beautiful bride (albeit a different beach than originally planned)! I get to spend Christmas with my brother in AKL..... who I may not see face to face again. I get to meet my nephews 2 boys in MEL who we have never met. As a retired engineer we get to see some of the engineering marvels in DXB ( my wife is interested to see it too.... honest) and experience some of the ancient culture. And finally, spend some time with another brother in ALC who has an IQ of around 145 and just retired from a very stressful job with the British Government to live in Spain only to find his real calling! He hosts a weekly 1 hour rock music show on an ExPat radio station where he is now living.... just goes to show, never say never!

And lastly, we get to go back to the place in Spain where my beautiful bride and I first met 47 years ago and started this amazing life journey we are on.

Sorry about the ramblings of an old guy but my philosophy is not to sweat the small stuff and be kind to people and it appears to have brought us to a happy ending this time.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:17 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
That's awesome. A great outcome!

Thanks for the update!
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Well done! Worth the effort in the end I'm sure. Enjoy the trip!
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: Super Elite 100K
Well done, and we expect updates and photos!
Live every day like it's your last.
Cheers, to you and your bride.
WFFF
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Warms the heart to know that things can work out and some AC/AE staff go the mile for customers — as it should be in a customer service situation. Happy anniversary!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.