Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Fresh Fruit that is Frozen

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
AC Fresh Fruit that is Frozen

This issue is one of those that is most irritating and occurs on the International and North American flights. It is bad enough when the dessert portions are frozen, but rather annoying when it's the main course in the Healthy Breakfast option.

I've posted about this before in the other meal threads but it seems to continue and I would like this thread to be the place where anyone can post their frozen fruit or food photos.

It's bad enough getting a hot meal served on cold plates (see international meal thread), but if your main meal is the fruit, then what?

On my recent trip, I had TWO of these episodes. I know that sometimes, the problem is where the ice packs are placed in the food carts. I've ordered special meals out of HKG and the cold portions were completely frozen. Given the type of food it was, the texture had changed because of the freezing and was not edible as determined by the crew, and gross as determined by me.

AC 737 YYZ-SFO October 2018

The berries and melons had been frozen, and had then thawed. This was not edible.
Also, the pineapple had brown parts, so maybe not really fresh too.
The SD found another serving and said he would note it in his log etc.

AC 756 SFO-YYZ November 2018

Not to be outdone, here we have my dessert on the recent AC 756 from SFO

Sure, the ice crystals are gorgeous if one is doing food photography and looking for something different, but this was obviously not edible.

It would be really interesting to know how much money is wasted on food that is not supposed to freeze, but ends up being served frozen and not edible, as well as whether AC audits the caterer for this stuff.
DNAwizard and RobWilliamsTG like this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
I had the same issue on YYZ-SFO and return last month. Is this just on some flights due to the loading, or is it more widespread? Don’t recall encountering this on my usual LHR flights.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Put it in a blender and make a smoothie?
Old Nov 6, 2018, 3:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pilot007
I had the same issue on YYZ-SFO and return last month. Is this just on some flights due to the loading, or is it more widespread? Don’t recall encountering this on my usual LHR flights.

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Put it in a blender and make a smoothie?
Works fine at home. Show me blender on the morning AC 101, 103, 183, 791, 737 and then AC 756...shall I go on?

As for my frozen food on AC 8, no blender would help that. Not edible and in fact, FA was not sure it was safe to eat after partial thawing.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find as a rule, AC fruit are rather tasteless anyway. Sure, catering reasonably ripe fruit in an airplane environment is a bit of a challenge, but still...

Cheese is pretty bad too BTW. Ultimately, appetizer and salad are still the best part... (Or least bad, to be optimist?)

Our home breakfast fruit and cheese fall in totally different category altogether.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
I think the more important topic of coversarion is whether AC is serving ‘Frozen Fresh Fruit’ or ‘Fresh Frozen Fruit’

’Frozen Fresh Fruit’, although cold, would be OK as the fruit was fresh when it was frozen.

‘Fresh Frozen Fruit’ on the other hand is not so good. It implies the fruit was freshly frozen, but not necessarily fresh when it was frozen.
Twickenham, 24left and DNAwizard like this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Maybe AC should offer smoothies instead of fruit.

Back to AC Frozen Fresh Fruit that is Frozen but should be Fresh

Last edited by tcook052; Nov 6, 2018 at 4:16 pm Reason: off topic
Old Nov 6, 2018, 4:16 pm
5mm
Suspended

Very simple answer. All airlines keep their food in a chiller for health reasons. My CX flight to Hong Kong yesterday had this same issue. It’s about taking everything about travel in stride. Airlines are not restaurants. Why do some people on FT think differently or think airline food should be held to restaurant standards. One thing about restaurants, their food is better, but I have never ended up in a different city after my dinner.
tomvancouver likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by 5mm
One thing about restaurants, their food is better, but I have never ended up in a different city after my dinner.
I have. In a Via Rail dining car as one example.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 5mm
Very simple answer. All airlines keep their food in a chiller for health reasons. My CX flight to Hong Kong yesterday had this same issue. It’s about taking everything about travel in stride. Airlines are not restaurants. Why do some people on FT think differently or think airline food should be held to restaurant standards. One thing about restaurants, their food is better, but I have never ended up in a different city after my dinner.
You know exactly why.
No one has an issue with the chiller. I don't want frozen fruit. Repeatedly.
And you're barking up the wrong tree if you think this is about holding AC or other airlines to the standards of a restaurant.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 24left
You know exactly why.
No one has an issue with the chiller. I don't want frozen fruit. Repeatedly.
And you're barking up the wrong tree if you think this is about holding AC or other airlines to the standards of a restaurant.
You have been flying on many different carriers in their F/J/C products the last while, IIRC.

Are there any examples of airlines, up to this juncture, that you have yet to experience frozen fruit? Of course, not experiencing something doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't happen, but at least from a data point perspective...
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
You have been flying on many different carriers in their F/J/C products the last while, IIRC.

Are there any examples of airlines, up to this juncture, that you have yet to experience frozen fruit? Of course, not experiencing something doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't happen, but at least from a data point perspective...
The only airline I've flown that served frozen fruit was AC.

UA served fruit that was not ripe, but AC does that too so no one wins that competition.
The fresh fruit on NZ is not pre-plated. It is supplied by catering in a large container (as are the smoothies) and served by crew. I should have asked if that is more cost efficient for them.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Just because a berry becomes partially frozen, does not mean it’s thereafter inedible. Sure, texture may suffer a bit, as the ice crystals have broken some cell walls. But taste should be fine and it’s certainly still safe to eat. Get a grip.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swingaling
Just because a berry becomes partially frozen, does not mean it’s thereafter inedible. Sure, texture may suffer a bit, as the ice crystals have broken some cell walls. But taste should be fine and it’s certainly still safe to eat. Get a grip.
Well then you can eat them. I am not the only one who is not inclined to eat frozen fruit. Further, once thawed, strawberries, citrus and melons are not palatable even if you like to eat them.

As for getting a grip, this is FT. We get to post success and failures of inflight service and complain or compliment as we see fit. As least AC FT is not the thunderdome of some other airline FT forums.
Bohemian1 and jc94 like this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: AC SE
I have seen partially frozen cheese plates on short haul NA J where the salad, tomato slice and cheese pieces were served in varying states of matter.

The plate of smoked salmon with blinis/pancakes has also been the victim of overly aggressive chilling.

No pictures, sadly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.