Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Early Boarding for Parents with Infants - Policy or Discretionary?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Early Boarding for Parents with Infants - Policy or Discretionary?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
AC's intentions for Zone Boarding

Just a data point reminder for everyone in this thread, because it's not the Zone Boarding master thread...

AC stated that Zone boarding was not meant to necessarily make the boarding process more efficient or to make it the most efficient, but rather to "enhance" the boarding experience for premium/status customers. (I'm paraphrasing, so I trust you get the gist)
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Just a data point reminder for everyone in this thread, because it's not the Zone Boarding master thread...

AC stated that Zone boarding was not meant to necessarily make the boarding process more efficient or to make it the most efficient, but rather to "enhance" the boarding experience for premium/status customers. (I'm paraphrasing, so I trust you get the gist)
Precisely. That's why I wanted to be explicit about what we're discussing / debating here.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Precisely. That's why I wanted to be explicit about what we're discussing / debating here.
Well, I wasn't taking any sides (not saying you were necessarily either)... just putting a data point down since arguing whether a specific part of the zone boarding policy of AC is "dumb" or "great" when it was designed with the purpose of not being maximally efficient in the first place (purpose to enhance the boarding experience for premium customer), probably won't go far.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 2:55 pm

Well, I wasn't taking any sides (not saying you were necessarily either)... just putting a data point down since arguing whether a specific part of the zone boarding policy of AC is "dumb" or "great" when it was designed with the purpose of not being maximally efficient in the first place (purpose to enhance the boarding experience for premium customer), probably won't go far.
Aligned.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Despite being Z1, my kid and I always board last often to the chagrin of my wife and other kid who boarded with Z1 earlier.

No point being on the plane for 40+ mins trying to corral a kid in a confined space. The flight is long enough as is without adding unnecessary additional time onboard. And yes...I am one of those who book seats at the very back where the plane tapers to 2-4/3-2.
capedreamer likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
No point being on the plane for 40+ mins trying to corral a kid in a confined space. The flight is long enough as is without adding unnecessary additional time onboard.
Glad to hear that my suggestion -- coming from someone who admittedly has no kids -- may not be entirely without merit.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
Not everyone has the advantage of the spouse boarding in zone 1 and getting everything settled so that other spouse can board at end.

as for storage it is not just about space but wanting it have it close at hand. Those without kids should have ni issue if their carry on is a row or two away.

but it is more about settling in, getting out what may be needed during a flight eg diapers, wipes, snacks, bottles, little toys etc.

As one who has traveled with 3 kids under five I liked getting on first to settle everything in. Nothing worse then having crying child while have to get up and find stuff.

As fir for six year olds we are not talking about them. It is about those with young children - usually under two I believe is the cut off

Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OfficeGlenn
My sister and brother in law were denied early boarding today on a flight out of YVR on a domestic flight by the gate agent while travelling with a 7 month old and told to board with their zone.

Air Canada's web site seems to indicate early boarding for families with children 6 and under but is this an official policy and was the gate agent wrong in denying early boarding is early boarding at discretion of gate agent?
Originally Posted by OfficeGlenn
Zone 5 was on their pass and they were told to board with Zone 5.
They were entitled to Zone 2.5, so should have been allowed to board anytime following Zone 2.

If they were trying to board at Zone 0/1/2, the GA could have at least advised that they could wait shortly to board at Zone 2.5.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
They were entitled to Zone 2.5, so should have been allowed to board anytime following Zone 2.

If they were trying to board at Zone 0/1/2, the GA could have at least advised that they could wait shortly to board at Zone 2.5.
Would they be? My understanding is that only Zone 1 and 2 get their zone, or later. Otherwise, if you miss it, wait to the back of the line. That is why there are two lanes. For those who can board early and whenever, and only "now".
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
This entire discussion is an indication of just how poorly designed Air Canada IT and systems are.

AC IT knows where are all the people that should be on the flight. It also knows the age of every person on the flight.

I would assume infants have boarding passes do they not? Why not put the infant in Zone 2. The the rest of the party on the same booking can board with the infant.

It is silly that the infant and his/her party have been assigned the wrong zone.
eracerblue likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Would they be? My understanding is that only Zone 1 and 2 get their zone, or later. Otherwise, if you miss it, wait to the back of the line. That is why there are two lanes. For those who can board early and whenever, and only "now".
Just from my experiences, I've always seen the assertive family walk around to get the attention of the GA and the GAs have always let them through.

But yes, I see what you're saying and more of then than not, a late-arriving family will most likely not realize they might have a chance of getting ahead if they walk around to the front and present to a GA. (and it's still possible they get the YMMV walk of shame despite the process being in Zone 4 at the time or whatever)
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Again, I'm open to hearing the moral case for why people with children deserve special treatment. If someone wants to make the argument that humanity's survival depends on people having children and thus we owe a societal debt to them, I'm ready to hear the case. But I don't think it's a forgone conclusion.
The special treatment is usually reserved for folks who need more time to board, whether they be elderly, disabled, or children. Same logic for the front of the bus, parking spots at the mall, etc.

I'd argue that humanity's survival depends on people having less children, as the planet is already suffering the effects of human overpopulation.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Points Poppa
The special treatment is usually reserved for folks who need more time to board, whether they be elderly, disabled, or children. Same logic for the front of the bus, parking spots at the mall, etc.

I'd argue that humanity's survival depends on people having less children, as the planet is already suffering the effects of human overpopulation.
While I might accept that argument for "humanity", it certainly isn't the case in Canada.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Points Poppa

You would love my wife and I. 7th on the way!

Everyone is entitled to opinions etc etc and I'm just being light-hearted, truly.

The annoying thing in the OPs families' case is the GA should have pointed out they could stand to the side and board before Z3. Boarding at the end of Z5 with kids and the necessary stuff would SUCK.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by YXUhomebase
Not everyone has the advantage of the spouse boarding in zone 1 and getting everything settled so that other spouse can board at end.
Ahhh yes...but you presumed my spouse boarded into Y with Z1. She + kid #1 board into J while I and kid #2 board into Y so there is not "getting everything settled" advantage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.