Wiki Posts
Search

Rookie Eup Question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Rookie Eup Question

I have my first “waitlisted” experience.

One segment was successful and another is waitlisted. This leads me to not have an assigned seat. So...

1. Is the seat I initially selected still mine?
2. Is there a way (before T-24) to know one’s likelihood of having the upgrade clear?

AC 840 to FRA on Monday the 8th if that is of any relevance.

Thanks in advance. This community has literally improved my life the last several months as I try to learn to be an efficient FF.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
Here is the EF availability for AC840 on the 8th:YVR 1:25p → FRA 8:05a
J6 C6 D6 Z6 P0 R0 O4 E3 N0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L0 K0
Still 6 seats available for sale.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JordanYVR
Here is the EF availability for AC840 on the 8th:YVR 1:25p → FRA 8:05a
J6 C6 D6 Z6 P0 R0 O4 E3 N0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L0 K0
Still 6 seats available for sale.
I am aware you just gave me a glimpse into a service you pay money for, so thanks.

Still learning what what it all means but I will hold hope that several of those go unsold and that there aren’t a half dozen SEs in Y.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope

I am aware you just gave me a glimpse into a service you pay money for, so thanks.

Still learning what what it all means but I will hold hope that several of those go unsold and that there aren’t a half dozen SEs in Y.
PY takes priority over Y. Cabin, status, fare class and check in time I believe. The @canadiancow can confirm if I finally memorized it right.

That route can be quite busy. If I’m Y might want to see if a cheap E fare is available (no N) as it’s less miserable in PY and then no preferred seat cost. Though can’t see your status so that may be partially comped.

canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:07 pm

Oh and to actually answer your questions...

1. Is the seat I initially selected still mine?
Yes. It goes wrong if you don’t clear J and get cleared into PY (if I’m Y) then reject it because you don’t want 11 credits for a PY upgrade. At this point your seat is likely gone.

2. Is there a way (before T-24) to know one’s likelihood of having the upgrade clear?
No.

Getting an EF subscription allows you to get notified if it goes R1 and waitlisted eUps are not often automatically cleared. The list is private before t-24. Again EF will show reduction in J seats if monitored.

I think there’s a free trial for .. 5-7 days? Not sure if it’s fully functional.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jc94

PY takes priority over Y. Cabin, status, fare class and check in time I believe. The @canadiancow can confirm if I finally memorized it right.

That route can be quite busy. If I’m Y might want to see if a cheap E fare is available (no N) as it’s less miserable in PY and then no preferred seat cost. Though can’t see your status so that may be partially comped.

I should have said ticket purchased was PY “O”. Yes it is busy - have flown it half a dozen times the last few months. Have never managed an upgrade yet but am always in row 13 so hard to really complain.

Am E75 in answer to your last comment.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I book PY for all overseas flights now if I am using Eupgrades. Never had one fail. I also will take slightly alternate routes than I might have in the past. For example, I was going to Tallinn and coming back from Helsinki last month. Instead of flying through my previously logical choice (Frankfurt), This time I went via Munich and came back via Copenhagen. Loads on those flights seemed light (CPH-YYZ went out with many empty seats in J even though FRA-YYZ flights seemed to be full). ExpertFlyer is certainly helpful in determining which routes might be a more logical choice from the standpoint of eupgrading (and, in this case, also gave me the best timings/connections/airports that I actually liked). Compared to fares I paid in econo to HKG back in the early 2000s, I find PY fares great value. If I ever lose at the eupgrading game, at least I will get to try a better economy (I think--as I have never actually flown in a PY seat).
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:32 pm

O fare as E75k is pretty good. If it remains at J6 anyway. I prefer row 14 but each to their own As long as it’s 1xC

Good luck.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jc94
O fare as E75k is pretty good. If it remains at J6 anyway. I prefer row 14 but each to their own As long as it’s 1xC

Good luck.
Actually prefer G. I find (D/E??) are usually together so middle occupant will opt to climb over their seat mate. Failing that I make sure to be chatty and polite up front and let it drop that I’m hoping to sleep the whole trip. Have literally never had someone try to climb over me in seat G.

Anyway thanks all for the quick and detailed responses. Will hope for the best and get over it with 4 quick bottles of red if the upgrade fails.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:14 pm

Actually prefer G. I find (D/E??) are usually together so middle occupant will opt to climb over their seat mate. Failing that I make sure to be chatty and polite up front and let it drop that I’m hoping to sleep the whole trip. Have literally never had someone try to climb over me in seat G.

Anyway thanks all for the quick and detailed responses. Will hope for the best and get over it with 4 quick bottles of red if the upgrade fails.
Ha. Yeah one of my best trips was 13C because the guy in 13A basically waited until I used the washroom twice and that’s the only time he went (or he managed to completely avoid disturbing me.

840 is a 787(-8) so yes AC DEG HK.

Of course 5A is about the best seat in the house imho. Plane dependant.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
I book PY for all overseas flights now if I am using Eupgrades. Never had one fail. I also will take slightly alternate routes than I might have in the past. For example, I was going to Tallinn and coming back from Helsinki last month. Instead of flying through my previously logical choice (Frankfurt), This time I went via Munich and came back via Copenhagen. Loads on those flights seemed light (CPH-YYZ went out with many empty seats in J even though FRA-YYZ flights seemed to be full). ExpertFlyer is certainly helpful in determining which routes might be a more logical choice from the standpoint of eupgrading (and, in this case, also gave me the best timings/connections/airports that I actually liked). Compared to fares I paid in econo to HKG back in the early 2000s, I find PY fares great value. If I ever lose at the eupgrading game, at least I will get to try a better economy (I think--as I have never actually flown in a PY seat).
Your MM is likely useful. I flew YYZ-AMS in PY on Sunday (). They cleared one gate upgrade, and I was second on the list.

The loads looked good when I booked, so there wasn't much else I could have done. But for the return, I decided to fly out of LYS, which let me confirm the upgrade at the window.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Not as awful as 14 hours DEL-YYZ. I am booked in PY on 6-10-18 and it doesn't look very promising. Currently showing:
J0 C0 D0 Z0 P0 R0 O9 E6 N0 Y9 B9 M9
U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S0 T0 L0 K0
--
13F
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite

I use this free tool, it seems pretty reliable, but no bells and whistles like EF. (the captcha fails the first time for me, but always works after that). It only shows available fare classes, not ALL fare classes.

https://flightavailability.bcdtravel...MnAvlMain.aspx
Old Oct 2, 2018, 7:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 6:44 pm
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

FYI, we have a fare inventory check request thread here for those who don't have a subscription, so we don't mind accessing our paid accounts to help others.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...st-thread.html

It also tells you how (in the wiki) to use the BCD tool that AskTravis mentioned. Keep in mind that a non-filtered fare class does not show in the results if the inventory is zeroed out, so you will only see positive inventory.

Originally Posted by AskTravis
I use this free tool, it seems pretty reliable, but no bells and whistles like EF. (the captcha fails the first time for me, but always works after that). It only shows available fare classes, not ALL fare classes.

https://flightavailability.bcdtravel...MnAvlMain.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.