Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Does AC ever get close to Matching Chinese Carriers on Business class pricing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does AC ever get close to Matching Chinese Carriers on Business class pricing?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by karachi
yes - they are around $6k. i took them to BKK a couple mths ago. excellent service.
I have seen them for 4.5k-5k too, depending

I too, enjoyed the service
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Feeling gouged? or talk about getting no value for money spent? At least in J you get a lot out of paying thousands of dollars. How about paying $600 for a YEG-YQR on a Q400 with only a glass of water being offered? These short haul routes in the domestic AC network is subsidizing everyone and where the real profit comes from for AC. And Westjet charges exactly same price.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: AC
Hainan air is only good for yyz-PEK, but they really are the best airline in mainland china
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyzray
Hainan air is only good for yyz-PEK, but they really are the best airline in mainland china
Uhhh?

What about YYC-PEK?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: AC
i think that flight only provide 3X a week
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyzray
i think that flight only provide 3X a week
So that means it's not good?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:33 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rankourabu
The real question here is, why would you ever want to fly AC when you can fly Hainan (never mind the price difference)
Having flown both, I found AC to be the better carrier.

I love AC business from YYZ to PEK.

To the OP, depends on when you book. I usually get it for 3500ish with taxes etc.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:21 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sunny Day
Feeling gouged? or talk about getting no value for money spent? At least in J you get a lot out of paying thousands of dollars. How about paying $600 for a YEG-YQR on a Q400 with only a glass of water being offered? These short haul routes in the domestic AC network is subsidizing everyone and where the real profit comes from for AC. And Westjet charges exactly same price.
You can always drive, but add in gas and 2 nights of hotels and you will be pushing $500 to $600 dollars. So maybe $600 for YEG-YQR is not that bad, for not wasting 2 days of your life driving. Also, that ticket will most likely have over $100 in taxes/airport fee.

Last edited by 5mm; Oct 5, 2018 at 11:55 am
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
AC certainly faces the music across the Pacific, but during slow winter TATL can be quite competitive in P.

OPs routing of YYZ-PEK = 13,160 miles return for $3,400 and avoids flying all the way to Hainan with long back-track to PEK which adds 7 hours of flying + cnx time.

Starting another RTW (5x this year) in few weeks, with stops in SE Asia, then Italy, returning to Canada and going back to Italy later in November

YVR-DPS one-way in J and another one-way to Italy are cheaper than trying to piece together different J fare zones across carriers.

So just booked on AC MXP-YYZ-YVR for $2,834 return in P that provides 12,360 miles return, which mile for mile turns out to be slightly better that YYZ-PEK.

And AC need NOT serve me the major meal ex-MXP as great restaurant in the terminal that cooks fresh pasta and a burrata from southern italy to die for.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skybluesea

OPs routing of YYZ-PEK = 13,160 miles return for $3,400 and avoids flying all the way to Hainan with long back-track to PEK which adds 7 hours of flying + cnx time.
Doen't Hainan fly to PEK rather than Hainan island?

So just booked on AC MXP-YYZ-YVR for $2,834 return in P that provides 12,360 miles return. [...]
OTOH for some mysterious reason YYC is something like $1100 more expensive than YVR. Go figure...
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Stranger
OTOH for some mysterious reason YYC is something like $1100 more expensive than YVR. Go figure...
Fewer people, and/or people with deeper pockets in Calgary want to make that trip?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Fewer people, and/or people with deeper pockets in Calgary want to make that trip?
But this is for MXP-YVR-MXP, vs. MXP-YVR-MXP, not the reverse...

Otherwise, indeed I would have said, more people willing to pay here.

(Actually it is because LH is cheaper on FRA-YVR than AC is on FRA-YYC...)
Old Oct 5, 2018, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stranger
Doen't Hainan fly to PEK rather than Hainan island?
@Stranger
my correction, non-stop available on Hainan YYZ-PEk.

and interesting within +/- 3 days of my dates, YVR-YYZ-MXP return is significantly more, about $3,900 at the lowest combination of dates.

Last edited by skybluesea; Oct 5, 2018 at 8:50 pm Reason: @
Old Oct 6, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Handcake
Having flown both, I found AC to be the better carrier.
I love AC business from YYZ to PEK.
To the OP, depends on when you book. I usually get it for 3500ish with taxes etc.
There are also people who insist on flying AC over the highly regarded EVA, and who enjoy the "food" at Burger King. If not for them, these organizations would close. However, discerning people who put an emphasis on a quality product, especially functioning seats, edible food, OTP etc. consider other airlines over AC. I am now booking flights to Asia and am considering China Southern over AC, because it has been almost 3 months since my broken seat, delayed baggage and other issues without a response from AC. I realized that if this is how they treat a "status" client, why should I pay the higher airfare to be treated like crap, when I can obtain a more comfortable product at a lower cost, with no impact on customer service quality.

My experience has been that the AC quality of customer service (excl. on board FA activity) has deteriorated in the past year with increased waiting times and intentional delays to customer service inquiries, while the Chinese carriers like China Southern, and Hainan have invested in their North American service quality. Even the much derided China Eastern has made an effort. (The IMO awful Air China remains awful and no matter how cheap the seat, is so much worse than AC.) I have the impression that Air Canada's response to the premium Chinese carriers' uptick in quality and service has been to cover up its defective seats and to continue to chip away at F&B standards, while doubling down on its embellished claims of improved service with its Signature marketing campaign.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 11:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
There are also people who insist on flying AC over the highly regarded EVA, and who enjoy the "food" at Burger King. If not for them, these organizations would close. However, discerning people who put an emphasis on a quality product, especially functioning seats, edible food, OTP etc. consider other airlines over AC. I am now booking flights to Asia and am considering China Southern over AC, because it has been almost 3 months since my broken seat, delayed baggage and other issues without a response from AC. I realized that if this is how they treat a "status" client, why should I pay the higher airfare to be treated like crap, when I can obtain a more comfortable product at a lower cost, with no impact on customer service quality.

My experience has been that the AC quality of customer service (excl. on board FA activity) has deteriorated in the past year with increased waiting times and intentional delays to customer service inquiries, while the Chinese carriers like China Southern, and Hainan have invested in their North American service quality. Even the much derided China Eastern has made an effort. (The IMO awful Air China remains awful and no matter how cheap the seat, is so much worse than AC.) I have the impression that Air Canada's response to the premium Chinese carriers' uptick in quality and service has been to cover up its defective seats and to continue to chip away at F&B standards, while doubling down on its embellished claims of improved service with its Signature marketing campaign.
@Transpacificflyer

we should all pitch in to take out a full pg ad in national paper with your post - no amount of lipstick is going to make AC pig look better in real terms - and wait till oil prices really squeeze profits - more enhancements to come.

Flew J on China Southern in June return to Delhi from YVR, nothing to write home about, but the seats were way more comfortable, I can tolerate climbing over the person next to me over the nonsense coffin AC offers.

AC is far from my default, but turns out on my routines and patterns I need to take, including frequently going through YYZ to see Little SkyBlueSea and to YUL to see principal clients, and also being respectful of my clients money, works out to Flying AC, but this year I’m down to 50% on expected 300k total flying for year, and spend on AC down 25%, but still +$35k.

and then there is the joy, which I’m really looking forward to is a brand new 359 on SQ to Europe in J can’t wait but this likely will harden my views even further.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.