Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
For those of you interested only in the revised $450-million deal and related discussion, it starts on post 418:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1926409-update-aimia-accepts-air-canada-td-cibc-visa-revised-450-million-aeroplan-bid-28.html#post30109427
Print Wikipost

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
AC Loyalty Program job posting

I came across a job posting for AC which I share for obvious reasons of general interest. Personally I find the "all-new" and "digital-first" bits interesting.

Senior Loyalty Product Development Manager / Chef principal du Développement des produits de fidélisation

Air Canada is creating an all-new, digital-first loyalty program that will transform the way it engages with its customers, promising to create more rewarding relationships. This investment is a key step forward as we build upon our strategy to become a global champion. As part of this effort, we're building a new team, with the spirit of a start-up, within the broader Air Canada family. Our mandate is to re-envision the entire end-to-end loyalty and customer lifecycle experience. We are looking for great people who will thrive in a highly-collaborative, innovative, fast-paced environment and bring this vision to life.

Air Canada seeks a proven leader to drive loyalty research and new concept creation, working closely with other areas of Strategy and Planning to develop solutions to emerging business gaps and opportunities. The Senior Loyalty Product Development Manager will prioritize business needs, conduct or oversee research (in collaboration with vendors, where required) to understand root causes, and develop, test and evaluate emerging concepts. This will include assessing viability and financial impact of proposed solutions and supporting execution of successful concepts, in collaboration with the Loyalty Product team and key airline stakeholders. This role will include both long-term product planning as well as near-term product acceleration.

This position will be based in Toronto and reports to the Director of Research and Development.
  • Engage with a broad team of airline and loyalty stakeholders to identify new product opportunities and refine and improve product recommendations based on understanding the airline’s operational, financial and commercial objectives & realities
  • Lead qualitative and quantitative customer research to inform strategy and product decisions
  • Collaborate with Loyalty Strategy team on long-range planning and business opportunities to inform future product development
  • Develop financial models in collaboration with Business Management and Finance teams to assess viability of product opportunities
  • Regularly prepare executive presentations and lead meetings with airline leadership to facilitate strategic decisions
  • Nurture relationships within the Loyalty team and extended stakeholders to execute prioritized concepts and ensure successful launch
  • Oversee third-party vendor engagements, including defining and managing scope, monitoring progress and socializing outputs
  • Closely monitor loyalty industry trends to identify emerging opportunities as well as potential business threats in the interest of delivering creative action plans
  • Oversee and mentor direct reports, where applicable
Old May 16, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
The cynic in me says this is a wee bit late given the revamped Altitude program debuts in 13 months.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Or the person doing that with AE isn't coming over. Retiring, or recognized for what they are and ordered to cosplay as a MAX.

Sometimes ones hand is forced hiring senior talent just as much as needing random warm bodies in the trenches.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
How long ago did AC announce they will have a brand new Attitude program to replace ae? Did they not have someone to develop that at the time?

AC still has to fix the existing ae that's not showing any availability from YYZ to anywhere in Europe (as someone reported), or TPE late this year or early next year (what I'm experiencing).
Old May 17, 2019, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
The cynic in me says this is a wee bit late given the revamped Altitude program debuts in 13 months.
Originally Posted by yscleo
How long ago did AC announce they will have a brand new Attitude program to replace ae? Did they not have someone to develop that at the time?

AC still has to fix the existing ae that's not showing any availability from YYZ to anywhere in Europe (as someone reported), or TPE late this year or early next year (what I'm experiencing).
These are very good points and raising an interesting question: how much notice should the airlines give us before they make changes to a program. At present it is open to debate the degree of changes we will see in the new Altitude programme set to replace Aeroplan. It can go anywhere from a change in name only to potentially a revamp on everything from accruals and redemptions to status benefits. If it's the former then I would suspect AC would announce those changes relatively late, perhaps as late as Q1 2020. On the other hand if it is closer to the latter than one would expect AC to be making an announcement in the coming weeks, that way travellers can adjust their travel patterns to hit the re-qualification treadmill for 2020. At least that's what sane airlines like UA have done in the past. We do have some evidence that it may be closer to the former than the latter. For instance, when AC renewed agreements with credit card companies they indicated the accruals on the cards would remain the same and that Aeroplan points will transfer over 1 to 1. Now that's not to stop AC from pulling a UA and making the redemptions go dynamic thereby negating the value of the points.

A final option, could be that AC kicks the can down the road and announces the Altitude program in 2021, after they've hired this Senior executive and to quote a sitting president, "figure out what the hell is going on!". Again these are interesting times for Aeroplan with many having the feeling that they should burn their points for known value versus keeping the points now and taking a gamble at what the future value will be. I, for one, would be disappointed the most if AC removes the 2 free stopovers on international award tickets. That is one benefit that no airline has really matched.

Safe Travels,

James
Old May 17, 2019, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
If one was a betting person,

Would you bet that

a) Aeroplan charts will be gutted in June 2020, new earning/redeeming structure introcuced
or
b) They wont be ready and the enhancement will not happen until Jan.2021 or perhaps later

Talking strictly earning/usage of points, not status or other Altitude related things.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:05 am

Perhaps history could provide us guidance on how AC/Aeroplan makes changes like these? For instance, I've always found that Aeroplan provides 1 perhaps 2 weeks notice of accrual changes (PQM and RDM) for partner airlines. How much notice was given to Aeroplan elites of the AQD requirement? Was it done towards the end of the calendar year or mid-stream so to speak? Maybe these new changes will buck the trend but I suspect it will rhyme!

Safe Travels,

James
Old May 17, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Perhaps history could provide us guidance on how AC/Aeroplan makes changes like these? For instance, I've always found that Aeroplan provides 1 perhaps 2 weeks notice of accrual changes (PQM and RDM) for partner airlines. How much notice was given to Aeroplan elites of the AQD requirement? Was it done towards the end of the calendar year or mid-stream so to speak? Maybe these new changes will buck the trend but I suspect it will rhyme!

Safe Travels,

James
If I remember correctly, Altitude program details have been released anytime between October and December for the past 4-5 years. There are threads about this buried somewhere in this forum if someone feels like hunting for those.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jasdou

If I remember correctly, Altitude program details have been released anytime between October and December for the past 4-5 years. There are threads about this buried somewhere in this forum if someone feels like hunting for those.
Dont really care about Altitude details - but historically, how far in advance have chart devaluations been announced? Not that this is even the same case now, because this will not be just a devaluation, but a complete gutting, but would be nice if it was not 6/2020.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
There won't be any significant devaluation. Too many contracts with banks preventing it, in addition to some financial matters that change the accounting on redemptions.
cedric, pitz and Wings100 like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
There won't be any significant devaluation. Too many contracts with banks preventing it, in addition to some financial matters that change the accounting on redemptions.
The contracts with the banks are 1:1 transfer of the points from ae to the new Attitude program. AC didn't say what the Attitude program redemption would be.

Unless AC comes out to state publicly they are not gutting the program, people need to be prepared for the worst, and burn the points before June/2020.
rankourabu and heraclitus like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yscleo
The contracts with the banks are 1:1 transfer of the points from ae to the new Attitude program. AC didn't say what the Attitude program redemption would be.

Unless AC comes out to state publicly they are not gutting the program, people need to be prepared for the worst, and burn the points before June/2020.
You've read the contracts with the banks? Because a few of us actually know what's going on.
D582 and canopus27 like this.

Last edited by tcook052; May 17, 2019 at 5:07 pm Reason: tone
Old May 17, 2019, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Contracts with banks specify that a J roundtrip to Europe will remain 110,000 miles? Or that 2 stopovers will be allowed? Or what all 30+ partner airline fares will earn in the new program? Or that there will be no YQ charged on all partners?
yscleo likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Contracts with banks specify that a J roundtrip to Europe will remain 110,000 miles?
AKA NaN miles. :-). But no, I don't expect drastic changes.
Old May 17, 2019, 5:05 pm

You've read the contracts with the banks?Because a few of us actually know what's going on
Why don't you enlighten us with the details then

Last edited by tcook052; May 17, 2019 at 5:07 pm Reason: edit quote, content

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.