Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

IROPS on Reward ticket without status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

My folks were traveling on an award ticket (their points - AC*CC "status"), and made it half way - 1 of 2 segments. They did OLCI, without issue or notice. Upon checking their bag, it was mentioned there was a possibility the 2nd segment may be delayed or cancelled, due to wildfire smoke. I am interested to hear your take if they are entitled to any AC/AE compensation, if you think they should be (or other carriers would), or if they are stuck trying to make a CC insurance claim.

Immediately upon completing the first leg, they found out that the 2nd leg had indeed been cancelled. At first it was delayed 25min, then flat cancelled soon after. On this particular day there were no later AC flights, but later WS ones arrived ~ on time without issue a few hours after AC's expected arrival. (For reference, the AC flight prior had to divert, and ultimately head back to origin).

I had been checking AC Fire notice for updates, as well as Travel notices - neither of which ever came up all day for this destination. Had a rebook option come up, they would have traveled sooner. Ultimately, after some bizarre/clever attempts at rerouting (to get closer in attempt to bus or divert TO final destination), they were rebooked on the last flight the following day, and with zero offer of compensation ~ about a 29 hour delay, if it's on time tomorrow. Thus, having to spend the night in YVR on their dime, in addition all of the other expenses and inconveniences along the way.

There are a few things that baffle me on this. I know it is WX, but there's certainly some lapse's in the AC machine too - does AC have any obligation around their Travel Notices, or are they just a courtesy? There were well published notices about smoke, as well as controlled burns planned for the destination - and should have been up on the AC notice board for sure. Had they not checked a bag, they would have received no mention of possible interruption. Does the simple mention of possible interruption absolve AC of any obligation? I feel like this may be AC living up to their obligation, but not the spirit of what could have been discussed prior to departure, or offered in transit. I also wonder if someone on an AC revenue flight or even AE with Altitude status would have been treated better (even slightly).

If this is the kind of service that everyone on an Aeroplan reward flight can expect in IROPS, then it is yet another black mark against AE reward tickets and points. //

Last edited by eracerblue; Aug 19, 2018 at 11:59 pm
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Working backwards, someone with high status would be treated better once decisions have been made. And possibly, having flown enough to gain status, personally able to be more proactive; sympathetic to status PAX, some AC humans may or may not have played ball. But the system is an obstinate reactive one outside of influence from status PAX with clear and realistic demands.

As written, I suspect AC has met their obligations.

But before we dig further. Details. Flight numbers. Times. Etc.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RangerNS
But before we dig further. Details. Flight numbers. Times. Etc.
Aug 19, AC8217 YVRYXC
Travel originated in YYJ.

I see that both WS & 8P have YXC listed on their travel advisory, but not AC. I don't know when it was added.

August 18.18 1:18 PM - NEWS RELEASE - Planned ignition scheduled for tomorrow on Meachen Creek Wildfire

Planned ignition scheduled for tomorrow on Meachen Creek Wildfire

BC Wildfire Service (BCWS) is currently assessing the Meachen Creek Wildfire area for potential planned ignition operations to support containment lines.

Planned ignition operations will take place when conditions allow, but are expected to happen tomorrow afternoon
I actually had this news release even earlier in my inbox... regardless, well publicized >24hrs in advance, ~35km from YXC, in a valley that is often used for approach. (Far from necessary- YXC Is pretty open)

PS: This is one of two fires on either side of Kimberley which has put the entire town on Evacuation Alert since late Thursday Aug 16th. About 80 properties are on Evacuation Order.

Last edited by eracerblue; Aug 20, 2018 at 9:27 am
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:02 am

Does their CC have trip delay/interruption/cancellation insurance?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:09 am

I did have several IROPS non-status experiences (hurricane, earthquake, MX, military coup) and here are your choices:

1. You can talk to the carrier to have you rebooked on another flight, route or airline for this matter
2. You can contact Aeroplan for them to rebook you
3. You can buy a ticket and then make a claim with Aeroplan (remember this option is YMMV and requires escalation)

As for after the fact, I believe CC insurance claim is your best route.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by eracerblue
My folks were traveling on an award ticket (their points - AC*CC "status"), and made it half way - 1 of 2 segments. They did OLCI, without issue or notice. Upon checking their bag, it was mentioned there was a possibility the 2nd segment may be delayed or cancelled, due to wildfire smoke. I am interested to hear your take if they are entitled to any AC/AE compensation, if you think they should be (or other carriers would), or if they are stuck trying to make a CC insurance claim.

Immediately upon completing the first leg, they found out that the 2nd leg had indeed been cancelled. At first it was delayed 25min, then flat cancelled soon after. On this particular day there were no later AC flights, but later WS ones arrived ~ on time without issue a few hours after AC's expected arrival. (For reference, the AC flight prior had to divert, and ultimately head back to origin).

I had been checking AC Fire notice for updates, as well as Travel notices - neither of which ever came up all day for this destination. Had a rebook option come up, they would have traveled sooner. Ultimately, after some bizarre/clever attempts at rerouting (to get closer in attempt to bus or divert TO final destination), they were rebooked on the last flight the following day, and with zero offer of compensation ~ about a 29 hour delay, if it's on time tomorrow. Thus, having to spend the night in YVR on their dime, in addition all of the other expenses and inconveniences along the way.

There are a few things that baffle me on this. I know it is WX, but there's certainly some lapse's in the AC machine too - does AC have any obligation around their Travel Notices, or are they just a courtesy? There were well published notices about smoke, as well as controlled burns planned for the destination - and should have been up on the AC notice board for sure. Had they not checked a bag, they would have received no mention of possible interruption. Does the simple mention of possible interruption absolve AC of any obligation? I feel like this may be AC living up to their obligation, but not the spirit of what could have been discussed prior to departure, or offered in transit. I also wonder if someone on an AC revenue flight or even AE with Altitude status would have been treated better (even slightly).

If this is the kind of service that everyone on an Aeroplan reward flight can expect in IROPS, then it is yet another black mark against AE reward tickets and points. //
skybluesea and eracerblue like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I don't think the "Aeroplan ticket" even comes into play there.

I can't see someone booked in reasonably high economy, with no status, getting treated differently.

Is it an issue? Sure. But it's much more broad than the title suggests.
skybluesea and arf04 like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In any event, this is not a case for compensation. Smoke is not AC's doing.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by eracerblue
Upon checking their bag, it was mentioned there was a possibility the 2nd segment may be delayed or cancelled, due to wildfire smoke.
When advised of this, did the ask what their options were?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
When advised of this, did the ask what their options were?
One needs to ask, should AC not provide the options at the same time as advisement?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
One needs to ask, should AC not provide the options at the same time as advisement?
If flight was delayed or cancelled due to imminent hazardous events, what are the options?
Rebooking to another airline or transportation provider can be perceived as pushing the problem with no guarantees that it will arrive on-time.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Does fare make a difference? Would AC cover the hotel if booked in JCDZP, what about I or R?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
Does fare make a difference? Would AC cover the hotel if booked in JCDZP, what about I or R?
Altitude Status would likely make a difference, not fare type.

In this case, the best protection would have been "On My Way" if purchased.

Travel insurance will cover most of the out of pocket expenses up to the amount stipulated but you are on your own for re-booking unless you have purchased OMW. So next time, consider spending the extra $35 for the peace of mind.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Clipper801
In this case, the best protection would have been "On My Way" if purchased.
Don't believe Aeroplan flights are eligible for OMW.
However, OP noted CC insurance. Provided that the CC insurance covers awards tickets, this would provide similar coverage.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by cedric
Don't believe Aeroplan flights are eligible for OMW.
However, OP noted CC insurance. Provided that the CC insurance covers awards tickets, this would provide similar coverage.
Yes, Aeroplan bookings are eligible for OMW unless it is changed recently.
I have bought it before on an Aeroplan ticket.
Both CIBC and TD Aeroplan Visa cover travel on an Aeroplan redemption ticket if taxes and charges, etc. are paid with that card, and the cardholder is travelling.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Clipper801
[...] and the cardholder is travelling.
Does that mean the traveller has to be the ticket holder? Or that the reward ticket holder must be travelling together , on the same flight as the cardholder?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.