Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aimia adds Air Transat, Flair Airlines to its list of new Aeroplan partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aimia adds Air Transat, Flair Airlines to its list of new Aeroplan partners

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:17 am
YUL

Programs: SPG Gold / IHG Spire / Emerald Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Plumber
I, too, am not interested in flying these airlines.
Originally Posted by eigenvector
This is basically a list of airlines that I'd never fly.
Well nobody expected a SE100K (or a UA Premier Platinum) to be ever attracted to such airlines, really...

For the cattle class crowd, Air Transat offers some attractive TATL non-stop routes. (And relative cattle class comfort compared to those specific high density 773s)
Plumber likes this.

Last edited by YUL; Aug 7, 2018 at 10:37 am
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by eigenvector
1. Porter - short haul based out of YTZ, no use to me with no connections to Western Canada.
2. Flair - ULCC where one hiccup results in a night spent in the airport. AC has its own problems but if I fly with a carrier like WS or AC that has a lot of frequency on major domestic routes the opportunity for recovery in the event of a cancellation is much better. I don't fly any airline that doesn't have a 24/7 customer service line if I can help it.
3. Transat - no interline agreements making them useless for traveling beyond LHR or CDG. By the time you book a second ticket and a hotel night to cover your connection you've eliminated any cost savings. Plenty of other options in the TATL market.
Transat has 30+ European destinations ,🙄

This is fun.
May 2020, fly AC, earn Aeroplan points
July 2020, redeem those points for baggage on Flair

Who on earth would continue to collect Aeroplan in 2019/2020....
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:43 am
YUL

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Transat has 30+ European destinations ,��
This is fun.
May 2020, fly AC, earn Aeroplan points
July 2020, redeem those points for baggage on Flair
Who on earth would continue to collect Aeroplan in 2019/2020....
If we are to believe the rumours, possibly more carriers are coming in - Oneworld?

The last few days were nonetheless a considerable improvement.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skybluesea

fliwn both AT & Porter and don't do much flying that would get me on to flair - but why not?

and I routinely fly AirAsia & RyanAir too

I could see flying Porter. But based at YYC, it's not really of interest to me.

I have flown Ryanair on two occasions. Some ten years ago, on odd itineraries when there was no real alternative fitting my schedule. How to be in Newcastle and in Pisa at the same time? Only option was Ryanair from somewhere not too far to Bergamo (sold as Milan...) then a crazy drive in the rain getting us to Pisa close to midnight. Leaving the Midlands right after my meeting.

Second time was OPO to DUB. Actually going to Belfast. All other options would entail inconvenient connections an probably ten times the price. Anyway, we survived.

But when looking at an FF program these are all marginal stuff. None of these will get me closer to 2MM status.
Plumber likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by YUL
Well nobody expected a SE100K (or a UA Premier Platinum) to be ever attracted to such airlines, really...

For the cattle class crowd, Air Transat offers some attractive TATL non-stop routes. (And relative cattle class comfort compared to those specific high density 773s)
I was thinking the same thing....definitely not for me, but for the masses that currently do fly Transat (some of whom hate Air Canada) this could be a nice add to the program for them.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
The race to the bottom continues.

Air Transat isn’t as bad as RyanAir whom I won’t fly, they are like EasyJet, there has to be an exceptional need to fly to use them. Although their Club class looks passable.. and thanks to ACs new TATL PY prices may get a try out.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:11 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by YUL

Ah Air Transat, the same company that was cited with over 500 violations of air transportation regulations earlier this year and still holds the record for the largest fine in Canadian civil aviation history for sketchy maintenance that led to their A330 'glider' debacle.

Yeah, I'd really want to earn points towards TATL flights on that passenger-first / safety-first airline.

Aeroplan seems hell bent on becoming the awards program offering the largest selection of bottom feeders.
jc94 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Ah Air Transat, the same company that was cited with over 500 violations of air transportation regulations earlier this year and still holds the record for the largest fine in Canadian civil aviation history for sketchy maintenance that led to their A330 'glider' debacle.

Yeah, I'd really want to earn points towards TATL flights on that passenger-first / safety-first airline.

Aeroplan seems hell bent on becoming the awards program offering the largest selection of bottom feeders.
and by this measure why do you fly AC ?

SFO near debacle not enough for you?

real question for FF, who pays for your ticket?

you out of after tax dollars or your workplace / clients?

most Cdns pay after tax with their own money - way different than untaxed financial benefit many of us receive as part of gruelling effort to drag ourselves to the SSL

hopefully CRA not paying attention 🙏🏼
SFO777 and YYCCL3 like this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:01 pm
YUL

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Ah Air Transat, the same company that was cited with over 500 violations of air transportation regulations earlier this year and still holds the record for the largest fine in Canadian civil aviation history...
What a pretty useless one sided garbage throwing comment here. I suspect you haven't had you coffee yet.

Of 13 Canadian airlines surveyed, only four are currently allocated a top safety rating (7 out 7 stars). And Air Transat is one them.

https://www.airlineratings.com/safety-rating-tool/

Last edited by YUL; Aug 7, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E75K
Originally Posted by YUL

How many of Aeroplan's 5 million members are Altitude status members? I'm betting that Aeroplan already knows that the AC FF's are leaving AE no matter what. These announcements are for the millions who use miles once every few years on a family vacation.
skybluesea and Plumber like this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:11 pm

hoping there would be some deal w One World (my 1st choice) or Sky Team (my 2nd choice)
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by YUL
If we are to believe the rumours, possibly more carriers are coming in - Oneworld?

The last few days were nonetheless a considerable improvement.
Well, Aeroplan better land somebody with a bit broader of a product and better brand recognition.

Not hard to improve when the specifics up until a few days ago were NIL.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by YUL
Actually on the YUL - CDG route, Air Transat offers a competitive economy product compared to those economy AC/AF high density sardinized B773s...
I thought that Transat went 9 across on their A310/A330 product. I guess that they are winning the competition for narrowest seat. Though the seat pitch is better.

Aeroplan has signed up Porter, Flair, Transat so far. Up next, Sunwing?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:25 pm
YUL

Originally Posted by smallmj
Aeroplan has signed up Porter, Flair, Transat so far. Up next, Sunwing?
No, FedEx! Some flights (China <=> USA) are getting pretty empty right now.
eracerblue and smallmj like this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:28 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by YUL
What a pretty useless one sided garbage throwing comment here. I suspect you haven't had you coffee yet.

Of 13 Canadian airlines surveyed, only four are currently allocated a top safety rating (7 out 7 stars). And Air Transat is one them.

https://www.airlineratings.com/safety-rating-tool/

Thanks for the link. Since I was too busy getting coffee, I didn't dig into to how these ratings are actually compiled.

I was purely summarizing what the CTA has already published about Air Transat and, as the primary regulator for all modes of transport in Canada, I would assume they would be reasonably objective. But call it garbage if you will.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.